destins 1964 fj40 FST restore thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the before for the sake of clarity

3738135630_f0e0be2d40_b.jpg

3738135958_6da7005749_o.jpg

So I started taking it apart today :D

Here is the beginning of the tear down... bad cell photos, small shop :D

3775804613_a4d449014c.jpg

These hood latch bolts would not give, hopefully the mousemilk will free them up
3776613320_2470f2f85b.jpg
3775808613_ff384c09ed.jpg

3776614838_8b7a5b64f2.jpg

3776614862_bcdc0d5281.jpg

This is the color it is going to be painted.

T332

3771869429_0f485b625c_o.jpg

r08uC

Last edited:
That is one cool cruiser! The scenery sux, but the rig seems to be fairly rustless and complete....right down to the hubcaps and (must be) drive flanges!!!1 COOOOOL!

The Sidewinder winch is over the top.

Already book marked this thread.

Looking forward to seeing this restoration :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Keep us posted with lots of pictures! I have a 65 FST and I'm in the middle of patching a million holes drilled in the body over the years. My biggest problem is that the PO did a very good job of making both sides match perfectly and it's been a very long time since I owned a 40 so I don't remember what is OE and what is PO. I have already got a little help from some of your photos.

Also I need a couple of hood hinges like the ones in you photos. Anybody got some to sell?

Rod

Two things

1. start a restore tread in the 25 forum

2. Post your pictures directly on mud. If you host them on another server and something happens to that server we will all be looking a little boxes with a red X. Few others have done this and now when you look at their treads there no more pictures:frown:

Keep us posted with lots of pictures! I have a 65 FST and I'm in the middle of patching a million holes drilled in the body over the years. My biggest problem is that the PO did a very good job of making both sides match perfectly and it's been a very long time since I owned a 40 so I don't remember what is OE and what is PO. I have already got a little help from some of your photos.
Rod

You can always post question over in the 25 forum. Probably get most your answers there.:cheers:

x2 :beer:
Two things

2. Post your pictures directly on mud. If you host them on another server and something happens to that server we will all be looking a little boxes with a red X. Few others have done this and now when you look at their treads there no more pictures:frown:

This is the before for the sake of clarity

3738135630_f0e0be2d40_b.jpg

3738135958_6da7005749_o.jpg

So I started taking it apart today :D

Here is the beginning of the tear down... bad cell photos, small shop :D

3775804613_a4d449014c.jpg

These hood latch bolts would not give, hopefully the mousemilk will free them up
3776613320_2470f2f85b.jpg
3775808613_ff384c09ed.jpg

3776614838_8b7a5b64f2.jpg

3776614862_bcdc0d5281.jpg

This is the color it is going to be painted.

T332

3771869429_0f485b625c_o.jpg

Last edited:
Two things

Started a thread in the 25 section :)

I will try to work on uploading them to mud.
Seems like it does not always work, tried a few times, and only allows 3 images uploaded at a time?

But I do understand your concern, with all the forum searching lately, it is kinda anticlimactic to read posts with no supporting images :D

A looking forward question...

I imagine the body mounts for the tub will be kinda shot when i remove the tub to paint...

Anyone have any suggestions for tub/ body mount kits that will fit stock and be most like stock?

Cheers!

Destin

I would check CCOT, SOR, Man-A-Fre The body mounts are pretty much the same from the FJ25 thru the 1978 FJ40. Somebody should be making something close. I've just collected a lot of cruiser over the years and saved as much as I could.

When ever I can I do not rush things or set dead lines. When things are going well with taking things apart I walk away and come back later rather than destroying something. Lot of parts these parts are hard to find. I never assume I will just replace it. Back in 96 when I bought my FJ45 I tried to get the 4X4 emblem for the tailgate. It was in there cataloge but was discontinued. Still looking for one.

I would check CCOT, SOR, Man-A-Fre The body mounts are pretty much the same from the FJ25 thru the 1978 FJ40. Somebody should be making something close. I've just collected a lot of cruiser over the years and saved as much as I could.

When ever I can I do not rush things or set dead lines. When things are going well with taking things apart I walk away and come back later rather than destroying something. Lot of parts these parts are hard to find. I never assume I will just replace it. Back in 96 when I bought my FJ45 I tried to get the 4X4 emblem for the tailgate. It was in there cataloge but was discontinued. Still looking for one.

great philosophy :D

Yeah i have been soaking things in mousemilk and being as patient as i can be :D

Everything seems to be coming apart ok.
With exception of course to a few philips screw heads that i make have to either drill out or find a better solution ( heads of the point are soft, and will most likely strip out under torque )

Added your thread to the project sticky at the top. :)

If you're patient, you should be able to get all the phillips out if they haven't been buggered yet. Soak them with penetrating oil from the backside, you can get to almost all of the backsides. Get a good fitting screwdriver and just hit them with a hammer occasionally when soaking, don't try to get them out, just give them a good wack to break the bond............repeat. ;)

Added your thread to the project sticky at the top. :)

If you're patient, you should be able to get all the phillips out if they haven't been buggered yet. Soak them with penetrating oil from the backside, you can get to almost all of the backsides. Get a good fitting screwdriver and just hit them with a hammer occasionally when soaking, don't try to get them out, just give them a good wack to break the bond............repeat. ;)

Thanks man!

Only one phillip head is wonked at the moment.
I will employ your technique over the next week and see if i can get them to come free :D
Thanks for the tip!

:D

Looks pretty clean and complete!! Looking forward to the build up. Maybe it will inspire me to work on mine again.

Thanks!

Trying to do this the right way.
I am sure I will have tons of questions the more I dive in.

I have been labeling the wiring harness bits for reassembly as well.
Being sure to under line the number sixes and nine's as i go ;)

It is a small shop space, but I am trying to keep things very tidy and orderly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom