chev inline 6 in a FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What would I need to swap a 235 straight 6 in a 71 fj40? also where can I get an iginition switch for a 71> currently it has a 3 speed on the column. Thanks mark

search on 235

I just pulled a 235 from a pickup out of a 69 fj-40. The motor mounts were sub par. The toyota 3 speed was mounted to the chev bell housing with a little adapter plate. If you serch for 235 on the board, you can see pictures.

But what about a 292? It seems that would be nearly an ideal swap into an FJ40, yet I don't think I've ever seen it.

292 Chev

But what about a 292? It seems that would be nearly an ideal swap into an FJ40, yet I don't think I've ever seen it.

I did a bunch of researching about the 292 and was planning to warm up a 292 just a bit and put in my 71 FJ40. In my searching I found a few had actually put a 292 in a 40 and liked it. The 292 is a 7 main bearing truck motor with similar characteristics to the F and 2F (strong torque and runs forever). Stock it is low compression, easily warmed up with higher compression and a bit more of a cam. Cheaper to rebuild than the F/2F. Excellent low end torque, but like all the GM I-6 motors a bit thirsty which concerned me.

Three weeks ago I ran across a 1983 Chev 1/2T pickup w/6.2 diesel/700R4 for $300. Bought it, drove it for the last three weeks and have now shelved my 292 plans for the 6.2 instead. In stock form the 6.2 is probably similar torque and HP to what the rebuilt 292 would have been, but I got 18.7 MPG with the 6.2 and don't think I would have ever come close to that with the 292.

Don

Wait till ya see the torque of the 6.2 ,doesnt compare to the I.6,the may be close on paper but in reality the 6.2 will be far superior

still need help

i have a built 235, high comp. cam, etc. what would i need to bolt it up to the 3 speed? an adapter or will it bolt right up, I am new to this. I think that the six and v-8 bellhousing bolt patterns are the same. should be the same as a sbc install. just thought someone on here should know.

search the board for 235
I know AA said it needs a 1-2 inch body lift to clear the bellhousing
call AA and get a catalog tell them your plans

search the board for 235
I know AA said it needs a 1-2 inch body lift to clear the bellhousing
call AA and get a catalog tell them your plans

I pulled a good running one out of a 69 FJ40; it did not have a body lift.

It's available for $150 if anyone wants it. Trades considered.

Best

Mark A.

Chev bellhousing bolt patterns are all the same. I think you can get an adapter that goes inbetween your stk 3 speed bellhousing and the motor. Hopefully some 1 else will confirm. 4 speeds will require a complete bellhousing. You will also might need the rear crossmember and misc stuff. Then you might have to custom cut driveshafts. You can look in FAQ's at the top of the page and all this info is in there. Look under Chev V8 conversions. Or search this forum. Motor mount placements should all be the same or close. Check out Advance Adaptors & Downey they both have conversion kits too.

Chev bellhousing bolt patterns are all the same. I think you can get an adapter that goes inbetween your stk 3 speed bellhousing and the motor. Hopefully some 1 else will confirm. 4 speeds will require a complete bellhousing. You will also might need the rear crossmember and misc stuff. Then you might have to custom cut driveshafts. You can look in FAQ's at the top of the page and all this info is in there. Look under Chev V8 conversions. Or search this forum. Motor mount placements should all be the same or close. Check out Advance Adaptors & Downey they both have conversion kits too.

There is a difference in the length of the motors between the I-6 and the V-8. The GM I-6 motors are very close to the same length as the Toy I-6 motors. I have no direct experience on this yet but because of the length similarity the GM I-6 SHOULD mount in very much the same position as the Toy I-6. Meaning that there probably would not need to be any modifications to the driveshafts.

Don

Chevy 235

My cruiser had a 235 in it when I bought it. It ran great and had good power for the size of the rig, but it leaked oil. I stepped up to a Vortec when it finally needed a valve job. If I recall correcly, there was a 1" plate mounted on the front of the toyota bell housing to change the bolt pattern. It looked home made. I will check my files to see if I still have pictures. The drive line was not modified.

Really? There's this guy, Dale Knorr...got a rig named Splitpea, or halfwhacked or something. He's got that straight 6 bigblock.

Wait till ya see the torque of the 6.2 ,doesnt compare to the I.6,the may be close on paper but in reality the 6.2 will be far superior

I love the way the pickup/6.2 drove for me. It shows 25k on the odo, could be only 125k but the condition of the drivers door hinge makes me think more like at least 225k. The license is expired and the trip permit expired yesterday so now it is time to pull the motor/tranny and start preping it for the transplant. Hopefully I can sell enough body and other parts to recover my current costs and maybe enough to buy gaskets to re-do the motor gaskets.

Don

i have a built 235, high comp. cam, etc. what would i need to bolt it up to the 3 speed? an adapter or will it bolt right up, I am new to this. I think that the six and v-8 bellhousing bolt patterns are the same. should be the same as a sbc install. just thought someone on here should know.

See, this is where you are confusing.

A 235 Chevy engine does not have the integrated flywheel housing flange on the rear of the engine block like the 1963 and later 230 Chevy inline six has, and consequently, you would not be able to use a flywheel housing adapter on the rear of the 235 like you could if you had the 230 engine.

In 1963 Chevy standardized the engine blocks so that they all used the same flywheel housing mounting pattern. Previous to that, they did not have a standard mounting flange and the six cylinders and V8 engines were not the same, and depending on the transmission configuration behind the engine, GM had their own adapters that were used to mate the engine to the transmission. There is an adapter used between the 348 and a powerglide transmission in the 1959 impala, also used in the 1958, 1960, 1961.

I have a Toyota flywheel housing that the mounting holes have been modified on to work with the earlier Chevy engine. It was removed from a Chevy 6 that was in my 65-45 pickup when I purchased it. I drove the truck with the Chevy engine in it and it worked fine.

Where are you located?

:meh:

Exactly what Poser said. The 235 is an ancient design dating back to prewar. The 292 is a tall deck version of the "modern" 250. The F engine is based on the 236/270/302 GMC inline 6.

The 235 is very similar to the F engines, but about 2" shorter LOA. The 235 BH will come very close to accepting the J30 toyota gearbox. Like using a SBC SM420 BH to mount a J30. Use 2 metric bolts and 2 UNC bolts to mount the tranny, machine a spacer ring to take up the space between input bearing retainer and the BH opening. Use the Toy clutch disc w/ Chevy clutch disc & flywheel...

Last edited:
"Use the Toy clutch disc w/ Chevy clutch disc & flywheel... "???

if anybody has pictures please post them . I am totally confused now.

The Toyota clutch disc is almost identical to the Chevy disc other than the spline angle of the clutch disc where it engages the input shaft of the transmission.

I have a Toyota clutch disc I can send along with the flywheel housing.

:meh:

Exactly what Poser said. The 235 is an ancient design dating back to prewar. The 292 is a tall deck version of the "modern" 250. The F engine is based on the 236/270/302 GMC inline 6.

The 235 is very similar to the F engines, but about 2" shorter LOA. The 235 BH will come very close to accepting the J30 toyota gearbox. Like using a SBC SM420 BH to mount a J30. Use 2 metric bolts and 2 UNC bolts to mount the tranny, machine a spacer ring to take up the space between input bearing retainer and the BH opening. Use the Toy clutch disc w/ Chevy clutch disc & flywheel...

Jim, I'd bet you've looked into this, but would performance parts for the GMC (such as what Patrick's offers) then work on the F engine? Of course, if someone's still running an F, they may be looking for originality and not wanting any modifications.

Info and plate for you 235

The Chevy 235 in my truck was from a 1950's pickup. Look for the casting number on the side of your block. You can do a google search or look at inliners.org or stovebolt.com if you are unsure if it really is a 235. The casting number is your best bet for identifying the motor.

The picture I have attached is the plate that was between the chevy bellhousing and the toyota three speed. It adjusts for length issues of chev bell housing.

I will mail you this plate for the cost of shipping + $20. PM me your details if you want it.

You can see a bunch of pictures of the motor I pulled with 235 attached to the transmission here:

Picasa Web Albums - Mike - Pulled 1959 C...
IMG_3167.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom