2,000 RPM at 60 mph? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did a quick search on the Forum and couldn't find any information on this topic. I have a 99 with 102K miles. Bought it used 2 years ago. Anyway, it does between 2,000 and 2,100 rpm at 60 mph. Then at 70 mph, it's doing close to 2,500 prm. Is this typical? Seems high to me, considering the V-8 and everything. I know the 03 and newer have the 5-speed trans, which probably drops down the rpm at highway speed.

Thanks for your help.

I have a 99 with 131K miles and those RPM's sound about right. Mine are around that range at those speeds and when you turn the overdrive off they shoot up to about 3K.

No matter what vehicle you have, as long as the torque converter is in the "locked" mode, revs and speed will have a direct relationship. (The same as driving a manual)

That is if your vehicle does 2000 rpm at 60 mph it will do 2333 at 70 mph. If it does 2100 rpm at 60 mph it will do 2450 at 70 mph, "AS LONG AS THE TORQUE CONVERTER IS IN LOCKED MODE AND YOU ARE IN THE SAME GEAR"

If your vehicle is geared with different diffs and it does 2600 at 60 mph then it will do 3033 at 70 mph.

Read you tacho when the converter is locked and get it accurate before you work it out as 100 rpm difference at 2000 rpm converts to a 5% error in any reading you make.

Stupid question: Whats a torque converter, and how do you know if it is in the locked mode?

Thanks

"it does between 2,000 and 2,100 rpm at 60 mph. Then at 70 mph, it's doing close to 2,500 prm. Is this typical?"

put 500 miles on the landcruiser last week and those numbers are exactly the same as mine!

my car is roughly the same, a toyota motor will drive forever at those rpm's, well except for the stops at the gas station to fill up on premium! :crybaby:

Last edited:
Those aren't high rpm's...a toyota 4 cylinder will rev around 3500-3700 rpms at freeway speeds and still, they'll run 300K+ mi w/ proper maintenance. I'd expect a V8 to last at least as long.

Maniac said:
Stupid question: Whats a torque converter, and how do you know if it is in the locked mode?

Thanks
The "wet clutch" or "fluid coupling" between your engine and your transmission. It is like an automatic clutch, but slips all the time slightly, so your engine is doing more revs than the input shaft to your transmission. When a certain set of things are achieved it goes into "lock up" mode which makes it direct drive and not slip anymore. This set of things may be ........you are in 3rd or 4th gear, your revs are less than 2500 rpm, your speed is between 40 and 75 mph, you throttle position is between 0 ant 45%, .........not saying these are the specifications, but something similar to this.
It is also possible that your transmission does not have a lock up converter, although I think it would have.

Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. Good to know that the rpm range is normal.

mine does 3,900 RPM at 70 in top gear. :bounce:

o wait... that's my honda.

I know this is digging up an old post.....but I had the same exact concern. My '99 4Runner (230k mls) runs at like 1500rpm consistently. I thought there was something wrong with the 100 when I saw it at 2500rpm when going 75mph. I guess it's normal for all of these 100s, huh?

Gearing is already pretty low ( 4.30 gearing). Plus lacking a 5 or a 6 speed transmission adds to the problem. Only having 4 gears (98-02... Correct me if I'm wrong).

At 80 I'm sitting in the range of 3500.

Also, what 100TD said about the torque converter-

I was messing around with the gears finding where there speed ( range ) starts and ends. I felt something like another gear. It would downshift and then when I let off it would upshift. I couldn't find the gear it was shifting into. Tried o/d and all. Is that the torque converter "slipping" then locking when I let off the throttle?

^If that makes any damn sense. ^

Last edited:
I have a 2004 100....should that make a difference? And no that didn't make any damn sense to me...but then again, I'm not bright or mechanically inclined at all. I DO, however, appreciate you taking the time to type all that though. Cheers

The iPhone made that feel like I wrote a book... my thumbs hurt. I'm going to nap now.

I believe 04's still kept 4.30 gearing.

04 has a 5 speed.

VA, I'm confused... :confused:

Thought you had an 06 or later Bro?

Any way to test the lockup feature on the torque converter?

I'm going to keep this thread alive since it relates to my question.

I am concerned that the lockup feature on my 99 is not working as it should. With my stock LC I run ~2200-2300 at 60mph but when I let off the gas at 60 the rpm's drop to 2000 which is where they should be in the first place.

The truck runs and shifts fine and the only other transmission hiccup is there is a slight hesitation when I slow down to <5mph then accelerate. In this situation the engine revs for a fraction of a second before the transmission goes back into gear. It's only at very low speeds and as long as I don't gun it out of corners it's hardly noticeable.

Anyway, back to my question, can the lockup be tested?

It's a heavy duty transmission in a luxo vehicle. There will be slack in the drive shafts. That's what your feeling at low speeds. Notice it only happens on flat or downhill instances. Uphill will not let the driveshafts speed up more that the vehicle, thus not allowing slack to build up. It's normal.

The truck runs and shifts fine and the only other transmission hiccup is there is a slight hesitation when I slow down to <5mph then accelerate. In this situation the engine revs for a fraction of a second before the transmission goes back into gear. It's only at very low speeds and as long as I don't gun it out of corners it's hardly noticeable.

I had the same issue/concern. Thanks for the explanation 2000UZJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom