Project 16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, here it is! another slow build project. Mike, I'll paint something so you can watch the paint dry on it so you don't get bored. :D
i may change the name of the project at any time. it is for my boys when they are 16, they will help build it and it will hopefully be done by the time Brock is 16. that gives us 7 years. :popcorn:

this is Marc's parts FJ60. I hauled it away for him. it took a whole morning to get it on the trailer, go to the DMV and get the title transfered to my name. of course, most of the time was spent at the DMV.:bang:

here it is when i brought it home. the tires are just what i had lying around.
FJ60.jpg
FJ60.1.jpg
FJ60.2.jpg

here it is yesterday, after working most of the day on tossing the junk in the back and removing the entire interior.
FJ60.4.jpg
FJ60.3.jpg

i am on OT today, so another day to work on it. and having all the cool tools to use. you'll be happy to know that it actually makes for a return on your tax money, because we usually pay for junk cars to do this to, for training. my guys got several hours of training today(I actually did the official paperwork for a training exercise too).
FJ60.5.jpg
FJ60.6.jpg
FJ60.7.jpg

the disappearing Land Crusier!
FJ60.8.jpg
FJ60.10.jpg
FJ60.9.jpg

a body in a dumpster!

it's amazing how a body fits in a dumpster after cutting it into little bits!:lol::ban:
FJ60.13.jpg
FJ60.11.jpg
FJ60.12.jpg

even the dash/firewall got cut in half.
FJ60.14.jpg

the plan is to put the front part of the FJ40 body i have onto it, and make it into a FJ45 cab. some type of custom made flat bed with the frame cut off after the rear spring mounts. drive train will probably be 350->auto tranny->FJ60 doubled tcase. my old FJ40 3'rds into the FJ60 axles with their 4.88's and lokrites.

you've seen the fast part of the build. the rest probably won't be so fast.

Wow! It's amazing to see something go from carcass full of junk to chassis only in a couple days.

Shawn,

I have some smaller meats on rims you can have to roll that thing around.

Shawn,

I have some smaller meats on rims you can have to roll that thing around.

that would be great. the fronts are my 40-trailer tires. most of my tires are on 8 lug rims now. that was all i had in 6 lug. 2 weeks ago i traded my 6 lug roll arounds with tires for some rim switching.

4 hours after closing the dumpster on the sectioned body, a guy from canada asked if i had the body. he wanted a rust free one...oops.:bang: of course one rear quarter was removed already.

Yeah, those cutoff saws are cool...

So are you planning to stretch the 45 cab a little or always drive with the steering wheel in your chin?

Yeah, those cutoff saws are cool...

yes, and we got new blades that we were testing out. diamond all-purpose blades. about $200 each. they behave a little different, so it was good getting some practice with it.

So are you planning to stretch the 45 cab a little or always drive with the steering wheel in your chin?

stretched a bit. if i'm custom making the cab, it's gonna be comfortable. probably not as stretched as some do. too much and you gotta lengthen the wheel base.

What are your thoughts on drivetrain? I saw you said to keep an eye out for a second t-case, where you thinking doubler?. There is/was a 203-cruiser split case doubler out there. I would go SBC/auto/203/splitcase if I were you. I think there may also be a kit now to use a mini-truck reduction box.

sounds like a fun project. Hope 7 years is enough time. I started my fj-45 project 9 years ago!

ok, here it is! another slow build project.

For a minute there I thought that was Onur's truck on the trailer.... but then I saw that some of the body panels were shiny under the dirt.

:grinpimp:

-Mike-

What are your thoughts on drivetrain? I saw you said to keep an eye out for a second t-case, where you thinking doubler?. There is/was a 203-cruiser split case doubler out there. I would go SBC/auto/203/splitcase if I were you. I think there may also be a kit now to use a mini-truck reduction box.
that's a good idea. it cuts back on the adapters. i was thinking cruiser double case because i'm keeping the cruiser axles this time with the rear axle offset. also planning 350/auto. so the 350/auto/203/cruiser case sounds perfect. thanks. i hadn't researched it yet.

well, i got the new half body up on the frame today to get some measurements. of course i forgot the camera at home. i really like the way the 40 body sits on it. i hope the chevy 350 is at least 4" shorter than the 2F that's in there. i have to bring the radiator back a bit to get the front clip on where i want it and then move the firewall/body closer to link up together with the fender/hood.
i'll try to get pics tomorrow with the new club tshirts.

oh and Jon, those roll arounds work on the rear, but are backspaced to far for the front. 1 works on the front, but mine doesn't fit over the hub. so my 36's are still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom