Torque Steer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My newly acquired LC80 appears to have a 12" lift over a standard Curiser.

Since owning it, it has had what appears to be torque steer where by you have to hold the steering slightly one way under power, and the other way during throttle off.... it seems worse on bumpier roads.

I'm planning on replacing all the bushes with Super Poly Pro ones... is there anything else that might be causing this strange anomaly?

Mine does the same thing, have yet to figure it out...

Pics?

Mine does the same thing, have yet to figure it out...

Pics?
If you manage to figure it out let me know... and likewise if I sort mine first.
I need to sort some photos out, maybe tomorrow, here's one I have.

beach3.jpg

Welcome :flipoff2:

Thats quite some lift. Please share up all the details :D

It has these huge drop boxes fitted which I assume should correct the castor.

All the mods were done before it left Japan, so I assume they will have been done correctly.

dropbox.jpg

In order to keep caster correct using drop brackets they must match the size of the lift. Those drop brackets only look like they dropped the arms about 3-4" so your caster is likely still very far off. Take it to an alignment shop and have them check the caster angle and you will have your answer.

Howdy! With that much lift, you may have "bounce steer", due to the angle of the drag link. When the front end raises up, it pulls the steering to the left. When you hit the brakes it pushes the steering to the right. Am I close? Show us some pix of your front end steering bits. John

12" of lift .. :eek:

By the pic suppose are around 4"-6" ( can you share your tire size ? )

Go to an alignment shop and tell us how much caster you have right now .. if you wanna go factory specs are around 2.5° positive caster ..

12" of lift ..

By the pic suppose are around 4"-6" ( can you share your tire size ? )

Go to an alignment shop and tell us how much caster you have right now .. if you wanna go factory specs are around 2.5° positive caster ..

x2, but :meh:

Can you measure front and rear, hub to flare and post up for us :)

That doesn't look like a 12" lift, but I see your problem. Someone put the steering wheel on the wrong side......

Heh.

You need to know the alignment numbers before we/anyone can help you. I think it's fairly obvious the source of this is the lift itself and/or the change in geometry it caused.

DougM

In order to keep caster correct using drop brackets they must match the size of the lift. Those drop brackets only look like they dropped the arms about 3-4" so your caster is likely still very far off. Take it to an alignment shop and have them check the caster angle and you will have your answer.
Just measured them and they are, as you say, 3.5"

Howdy! With that much lift, you may have "bounce steer", due to the angle of the drag link. When the front end raises up, it pulls the steering to the left. When you hit the brakes it pushes the steering to the right. Am I close? Show us some pix of your front end steering bits. John
That is exactly what I have got :eek:
So how can I eliminate it, is it a case of getting the castor right :frown:
frontsuspension.jpg

x2, but :meh:

Can you measure front and rear, hub to flare and post up for us :)
Approximately 26" flare to hub front and rear
frontflare.jpg

rearflare.jpg

That doesn't look like a 12" lift, but I see your problem. Someone put the steering wheel on the wrong side......
Damn, I never noticed that :p

Apologies for sounding a little dumb here guys... my excuse is I'm still recovering from this (link) a few weeks ago.

Another thought...

Are you sure the rear end isn't welded/locked too? That could result in some push-steering issues too.

:eek::eek: Holy moly man! Glad your ok!. That is crazy.
Thanks Retro... we're both getting there.

Another thought...

Are you sure the rear end isn't welded/locked too? That could result in some push-steering issues too.
Not sure what you mean by welded/locked but the 'steer' does appear to be coming from the rear.

We could indeed have bump-steer

The first photo in post #12 may be a clue.

The pandard rod and the drag link should be parallell. It looks as though yours are not. If they are not parallell they will travel in slightly different arcs resulting in unequal movement. I do not know if those are far enough off to be a problem but that could be at least part of it.

You would need to move the frame-end of the panhard down or the axle-end of the panhard up to make them parallell.

Last edited:
We could indeed have bump-steer

The first photo in post #12 may be a clue.

The pandard rod and the drag link should be parallell. It looks as though yours are not.....
Thanks Dan, although it is dark here right now, I have just been outside with a torch and the panhard and drag link are parallel.... it's just the weird camera angle that makes it look like it isn't.

Well then that's not it......

Hmm, I'll have to think about this.....

that's a coil spacer in front .. actually you don't need it ( or are you planing bigger tires ? ) pull out ( proobably have another in the back ) and your caster wil be much better ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom