Cummins 6bt in fj60 possible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What do you think? Is it possible to put a six cylinder cummins 6bt in an FJ60?
Has it been done, I can't remember seeing it on mud (I know there's been lots of 4bt conversions). If so, is there an adaptor to the toyota transmission?

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I know an adapter exists from an NV4500 (5-speed, stock I think on some of the Ds) transmission to the LC transfer case.

It's not been pressing though, since the 6bt is $$

Very possible.

Plan on a SOA and a bunch of other little things you could never think of to do it right. Such as the exhaust goes down the passenger side of the frame on the 6BT. You should move all of your fuel lines and wiring to driverside of the vehicle in order to avoid the heat.

Go to Proffits Cruisers website to see some for sale right now or go to 4BTswaps.com and see some builds in progress.

Very possible.

Plan on a SOA and a bunch of other little things you could never think of to do it right. Such as the exhaust goes down the passenger side of the frame on the 6BT. You should move all of your fuel lines and wiring to driverside of the vehicle in order to avoid the heat.

Go to Proffits Cruisers website to see some for sale right now or go to 4BTswaps.com and see some builds in progress.

the Toyota 3B goes out on the pax side(USA). it does a cross over by the back of the tcase

This thread needs pics....1. to show a 4bt/6bt in a cruiser. 2. many cruisers with such said engines are completely badass :D

-Carl

yup

I actually met the guy from last years swap meet in stockton,forgot his name but he did buy all the synthetic fluid i was selling that day and he showed me and mark (Mr.Locksmith) his rig.It look nice being stuff in that engine bay,he was running an early 6bt non-intercooled puts out about 160 hp and 400lb/ft of torque and yes he also have an nv4500 behind it.

John:D

I have a dodge w250 with a 6bt with many upgrades and have driven a fj60 with a 4bt. I would skip the 6bt, its very powerful when turned up a little and really only comes into use when towing 10,000+ pounds. I have pulled my fj62 on a trailer up a steep grade near were I live faster with the w250 than I can even drive in a the stock fj62.

I would swap in a 4bt if I were you, I was planning to when I bought my fj62 but the 140k 3fe runs so good, anyway the fj60 I drove with a 4bt was plenty powerful and got 25 mpg. The axles and brakes in a tlc would not have to be changed with the 4bt. The dodge truck I have has huge brakes and d70 and d61 axles to handle the weight.

Not quite the same but a guy in our local Bronco club has a 6bt in his early Bronco. Between a NV4500 and a t case doubler there are a lot of broken parts (driveshafts, axles). That is a lot of torque. Just something to consider depending on your plans for the truck.

Yep, I searched on here for some time and decided the 6BT was too much for most any Land Cruiser.

6 BT in a Bronco, Between a NV4500 and a t case doubler there are a lot of broken parts (driveshafts, axles). That is a lot of torque. Just something to consider depending on your plans for the truck.

Thanks for all the posts guys. And now that I have the opportunity I would like to say to kling-on and D'Animal that I really admire your work(or play or craziness or however you like to define it). No slight to the others just haven't been sculking around long enough to catch up with you.
Part of the reason I've considered the 6bt is availably given the numerous dodge trucks. Great story about pulling the 60 up the hill faster than it goes on it's own. Maybe I'll get it out of my system and just go and buy a dodge truck and look at something smaller for the 60.

If you decided to go with the 4 cylinder, keep an eye out for a P 30 bread truck. Many have the 4BT or 4BTA cummins diesels in them and many already have the SM 465 transmission. Many have intercoolers already installed, etc.

You can generally buy the entire truck for $2k - $3k. You can scrap the aluminum body and get some of your money back. Sell the Spicer/Dana70/Dana 80 rear axle assy adn get more of your money back.

You will have everything you need to do the conversion, radiator, fuel lines, engine mounts, clutch linkage (slave and master), wiring not really much unles you find one with the cold weather preheater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom