Making a backup copy of the Navigation DVD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The problem: I am unable to burn a reliable backup copy of my original OEM Lexus Navigation DVD for my 2002 LX470. The Nav DVD is Generation 3, version 7.1.

The backup DVD will function properly for a couple days, but then not function for several days...

I have made several backup copies and none work reliably.

If I replace the backup DVD with the original Nav DVD, the original continues to work perfectly and never a problem.

I am using the following software and equipment:

Burn software: ImgBurn 2.4.4.0 with default settings
Optical drive: Sony Optiarc AD-7200S SATA
DVD media: Verbatim MKM003 DVD+R DL 8x
Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

This software, drive, and media are all very highly rated by enthusiasts who are into this stuff.

Any ideas on how I can make a reliable backup?

Have any of you been able to do this?

Last edited:
I have been running a backup copy of my 7.1 Gen 3 DVD in my 2003 LC for over a year - never an issue. I used Memorex Double Layer DVD+R Media and Nero Burning ROM software on Windows Vista.

And yes - I do own the original DVD.

Try different media. It took me 4 or 5 different DVD+R types until I found one that would work in my Acura. I also tried both disc to disc and disc to HDD to disc copying - it didn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks very much for the responses so far.

I tried Verbatim 2.4x, Verbatim 8x, Memorex 8x, and Samsung 4x Double Layer media, but no joy.

The Verbatim DVD media seems to be held in especially high regard.

I have also tried different PCs, different DVD drives, and a different operating system (XP).

It's interesting that some copies will work for a couple days but then stop working. The original DVD never has a problem and functions perfectly.

Any other ideas for stuff I can try?

Last edited:
ELW,

Side question - what year cruiser do you have - and other than your duplication problems, how would you rate the Nav DVD upgrade as far as the display and application goes - (ie, actually using it...)?

I am considering buying the DVD upgrade for my '03 LC.

Thanks!

I have an '02. The upgrade works well -- just like prior version except that the maps and points of interest are updated.

Still have not been able to create a working backup copy.

My NAV DVD woes

I thought I'd save some cash by buying a cd off of some guy on the net and despite the fact that the numbers were right on the disc it only partially functions, and crashes a lot. The only way to make it sort of work is to eject and reinsert it. It works for a while then the map data disappears and I'm left floating in a sea of white nothingness. The NAV system doesn't work at all for new destinations and the refresh rate is really slow. I tried cleaning the inside of the drive with canned air and smoothing the outside of the disc, and even copying it to a new pristine disc, but the problems remain consistent. And of course I misplaced the original old one...I actually contacted the guy who sold it to me and he refunded my money A YEAR LATER and told me that those 'old units' like my '02 won't read copied discs. So I'm thinking of acutally springing for a new one...$265 at the dealer is a lot but I have nothing now.

I installed mine before a road trip last week.....it "works" fine.....except that the NAV program/update just plain sucks.....I hate the zones - why can't you just type in a state....

Also, if the dang thing won't find the Hilton that's been there for 20+ years, someone needs to slap the guy who "updated" this program.

one wonders if these reading problems are a tech / spec / material issue or something more devious like some sort of protection...?

i was scared to f with the ebay ones and i got one from toyota and it is nice to see all the new roads and poi but the $$$ was a bit much i think someone needs a kick in the junk for selling a 20 cent disk for 300 bucks with tax .i never mind spending on the 100 but WTF.

i was scared to f with the ebay ones and i got one from toyota and it is nice to see all the new roads and poi but the $$$ was a bit much i think someone needs a kick in the junk for selling a 20 cent disk for 300 bucks with tax .i never mind spending on the 100 but WTF.

This is why I am still running the original in my '02. Could not believe it when my local dealer told me it was $475 and had to be installed by them, only! Just walked away, at that point...

oh the install i had put that out of my mind along with the key programing that all you have no problem with:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:
well now i have 2 keys and new disk but someone has to come up with back up disk copies .
after all that i see new roads going in all the time and by next week it will be obsolete :bang:

I went thru this with my 2002 also. I "heard" the issue is that the Factory discs are pressed and are basically clear. The Copies, are pigmented. The laser just doesn't have enough resolution to penetrate the pigment layer reliably. Is there a reader from another year that would work reliably?

Les

I went thru this with my 2002 also. I "heard" the issue is that the Factory discs are pressed and are basically clear. The Copies, are pigmented. The laser just doesn't have enough resolution to penetrate the pigment layer reliably. Is there a reader from another year that would work reliably?

Les
After trying many methods and media...and ultimately failing to make a working backup Nav disc, lesgarten's explanation seems like the most likely cause.

Has anyone been able to make a backup Nav disc that functions in a 2002 Nav system?

Last edited:
I just bought a used Ver.05.1 U30 DVD to update the Gen 2/3 navigation system in my 2002 LC on Ebay. However, after inserting the DVD into my nav module under the passenger seat, the screen says that the disc is unreadable. It's clearly a used disc but definitely not scratched. I also tried burning a copy of it and that didn't work either. Same message.

Did I purchase the wrong DVD or is there something else going on that I don't know about? BTW, I realize there are more recent updates to the Gen 2/3 system, but I picked the 5.1 up for short money. A small update is better than no update!

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
l'hommec, disconnect the battery for an hour and then try again.

Some 2002 Toyota/Lexus owners have had success with this setup:

DVD: HP DVD +R DL
Drive: LG Super-Multi
Software: ImgBurn 2.3.2
Write Type: Incremental
Book Type: DVD-ROM
ISO9660 +UDF

I will try the HP DVDs next.

Last edited:
I just bought a used Ver.05.1 U30 DVD to update the Gen 2/3 navigation system in my 2002 LC on Ebay. However, after inserting the DVD into my nav module under the passenger seat, the screen says that the disc is unreadable. It's clearly a used disc but definitely not scratched. I also tried burning a copy of it and that didn't work either. Same message.

Did I purchase the wrong DVD or is there something else going on that I don't know about? BTW, I realize there are more recent updates to the Gen 2/3 system, but I picked the 5.1 up for short money. A small update is better than no update!

Thanks for your help

You have 2 options here:

1) Go get some Memorex DL DVDs and burn them to see if they work, then get some Sony DL DVDs and see if they work, then get some HP DL DVDs and see if the work. Burn them with Nero and ImageBurn and UltraISO, etc. etc. etc.

2) Quit trying

I've already done all this. A burnt DVD will maybe start once, maybe twice, but it won't work overall. The laser in the Gen 2/3 can really only read pressed DVDs, not burnt DVDs.

There is a solution 3) and that is to get a newer DVD reader and adapt it into your system. If you find these "reasonable", let me know. The newer drives will read burnt discs. I also went thru a few off ebay that were guarantee'd to wotk, forgot about those.

Cheers!

p.s. is there any particular reason why you ignored post #14 above??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom