Rattling sound inside rear hatch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title states, there is something rattling around inside my rear hatch. I only hear it when opening or closing the hatch and it sounds like a small item, something nickels sized, but lighter, completely broken off inside there. Does anybody have any idea what it could be? Everything on my hatch functions properly, as far as I know.

It's not a nickel. It doesn't bother me enough to inspect, since everything works fine. I'm just a little curious. It's inside the driver's side of the hatch.

Our first 80 ('92 - Sandy) came to us with a broken CD player. Dissecting it yielded a Britney Spears CD and a Chuck-E-Cheese token. I'm not sure which one broke the gears in it. Kids put coins in the strangest places.

However, if it isn't a coin, then it is likely a screw, bolt, or something of the like that has fallen off of the rear door latch or lock assembly. The bolts and screws are there for a reason and without them the thing could rattle apart and make for an annoying repair involving you climbing in from the front and taking it apart from the inside so you can get the thing open then not being able to get it to stay closed until the new parts come. Personal experience has shown that some of the parts inside the rear hatch are 'not serviceable' i.e. parts are a pain. Your call.

Upper or lower? Lower - pop off the carpet covering an inspect it. Couple of good size holes to see inside.

Our first 80 ('92 - Sandy) came to us with a broken CD player. Dissecting it yielded a Britney Spears CD and a Chuck-E-Cheese token. I'm not sure which one broke the gears in it. Kids put coins in the strangest places.

I was continually blowing dash fuses for a few days. Couldn't figure it out. Finally found a small stack of pennies jammed in the lighter-socket.

Also, after tearing apart my dash to install a new CD-player, I found one long-lost CD sitting on top of the head-unit--kid had apparently jammed it through the space between the player bezel and the dash trim.

:popcorn:

I'm going with crack pipe.

Does your rear washer and wiper work? ;)

Also I have found squirrels put nuts in the craziest places if you forgot to roll your windows up :p

Just popped it open. It was a 1902 ten dollar gold piece! What luck! Thanks guys!

Just popped it open. It was a 1902 ten dollar gold piece! What luck! Thanks guys!

Suspense ruined - I had Atticus next guess as a nipple ring. ;p

I was going to say I feel your pain...

I have a similar noise
What are the chances I have a 1902 ten dollar gold piece in mine?!?

Chances are greater that it's the wiring harness flopping around in there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom