Dog has a problem. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is Sydney our 1 year old Pitbull Mastif. She has been scratching her ear lately and I have noticed it's red and hurts when it is slightly squeezed. anyone here have any idea what it might be.
IMG_0201.jpg
IMG_0198.jpg
IMG_0199.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

EARBUG!!!!

Is it swollen (like a bubble of liquid)? It looks like an irritation that she's scratched too much an that it could be turning into a hemotoma.

yes get it fixed asap once it swells up (hemotoma) the cost to fix will skyrocket....

not sure but if she is itching her ear...have the vet look at it...the last thing you want is for the ear to swell dogs ears are super sensitive...sorry not a vet just going with my experience...

Nah I'm not a whiner. called the vet and they said it may just be an infection from water or a seed because it's just in one ear. I will get some drops for $10 and give them a shot if not I will have to take her in. other than that she is totally fine.

Earbug picture in 5... 4... 3...

CruisinMT -

You need to take your dog to the vet and let him/her look in the ear to rule out ear mites or confirm they are there.

He/She can also look at cytology of the ear discharge to determine what ointment might be indicated for treating your dog's ear.

I do not recommend you treat your dog for "mites" with an OTC medication without a vet telling you to.
Why??
mites usually involve BOTH ears... uncommon for dogs to have mites and even moreso for dogs older than puppies... so mites would be the LAST thing I would think of... unless I saw them with my own eyes.

The pictures do NOT look like this ear has developed a hematoma - although that can happen.

Nothing will make your vet happier than to hear the suggestion that all this started the last time he was at the vets - should go a long way to engendering good will to be utilized on future visits.

Specific cause of ear inflammation is often elusive - unless there are mites. Sometimes you just have to treat the symptoms such as the inflammation or the secondary infections - like yeast or bacteria.

Good luck.

:D Oh I know.....but crazy is sure its mites
Nah I'm not a whiner. called the vet and they said it may just be an infection from water or a seed because it's just in one ear. I will get some drops for $10 and give them a shot if not I will have to take her in. other than that she is totally fine.

Looks like a run of the mill ear infection, vet will probably prescribe ear drops for 7-10 days should clear right up. My pup has managed to get a few ear infections usually they clear up quickly.

Ross

I could not agree more.

Our Basset had an ear infection in both ears, one ear was way worse than the other. The less infected ear looked normal until you looked at our beagles (plural) ears.

Now the Beagles all line up to get their ears cleaned.

In the first picture, both the ears look the same shade of red.

I'm not a vet.

CruisinMT -

You need to take your dog to the vet and let him/her look in the ear to rule out ear mites or confirm they are there.

He/She can also look at cytology of the ear discharge to determine what ointment might be indicated for treating your dog's ear.

I do not recommend you treat your dog for "mites" with an OTC medication without a vet telling you to.
Why??
mites usually involve BOTH ears... uncommon for dogs to have mites and even moreso for dogs older than puppies... so mites would be the LAST thing I would think of... unless I saw them with my own eyes.

The pictures do NOT look like this ear has developed a hematoma - although that can happen.

Nothing will make your vet happier than to hear the suggestion that all this started the last time he was at the vets - should go a long way to engendering good will to be utilized on future visits.

Specific cause of ear inflammation is often elusive - unless there are mites. Sometimes you just have to treat the symptoms such as the inflammation or the secondary infections - like yeast or bacteria.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom