Back spacing recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been running a set of 33's on 15 inch rims. I just got a set of 315/75R16s so I will need to get some 16 in rims. Can anyone recommend the proper back spacing?

And any suggestions on where to pick up some 16 in wheels?

Hi All:

Factory 40 Series wheels have 3.5 inch backspacing.

Realistically, if you are running wider than stock tires, and 'wheeling the rig you'll want to go with less backspacing - like maybe 2.0 or 2.5 inch.

Regards,

Alan

Thank you Alan.

Any idea where I can get a wheel 16in with less than 4 in back spacing?

Last edited:
Hi All:

Factory 40 Series wheels have 3.5 inch backspacing.

Realistically, if you are running wider than stock tires, and 'wheeling the rig you'll want to go with less backspacing - like maybe 2.0 or 2.5 inch.

Regards,

Alan

X2

I'm at 2.5 with 35x12.50s and ~5" of lift.

Hi All:

You are welcome!

Try Summit Racing. They can get some of the wheels they sell made with custom backspacing for about $25-30 more.

Regards,

Alan

-------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Alan.

Any idea where I can get a wheel 16in with less than 4 in back spacing?

I may wind up running wheels with 4 inch BS and some spacers. How much off set would be ideal with this set up?

Any suggestions?

3 1/8 BS works for me :D

sua-06.jpg

16" wheel thread #1

16" wheel thread #2

Last edited:
Hi All:

I'm using a set of plain white "wagon wheels" that have 3.75 inch backspacing. On the rear axle I'm running a pair of 1.5 inch MarlinCrawler bolt-on wheel spacers. These spacers help provide enough clearance for the rear wheel travel of the OME 60 Series leaf springs my rig is running (the tires still rub the body tub just a little bit.)

Regards,

Alan

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I may wind up running wheels with 4 inch BS and some spacers. How much off set would be ideal with this set up?

Hi All:

I'm using a set of plain white "wagon wheels" that have 3.75 inch backspacing. On the rear axle I'm running a pair of 1.5 inch MarlinCrawler bolt-on wheel spacers. These spacers help provide enough clearance for the rear wheel travel of the OME 60 Series leaf springs my rig is running (the tires still rub the body tub just a little bit.)

Regards,

Alan

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you. I will probably do similar with the bolt on wheel spacers. In purchasing the wheels, there still seems to be some choice in the offset. Since no one is mentioning the offset can I just ignore it? Or should I take it into consideration? For example if I could only get a 4 in back space in the wheel that I want should I choose the one with the largest negative offset? My fenders are cut, do I understand correctly that the negative offset will give me more clearance inside the wheel?

Since no one is mentioning the offset can I just ignore it? Or should I take it into consideration? For example if I could only get a 4 in back space in the wheel that I want should I choose the one with the largest negative offset? My fenders are cut, do I understand correctly that the negative offset will give me more clearance inside the wheel?

With the BS measurements provided, I believe the offset can be determined by using a little math.

BS - (wheelwidth/2) = offset

wheeloffset.jpg

With the BS measurements provided, I believe the offset can be determined by using a little math.

BS - (wheelwidth/2) = offset

Great thank you!

My question is I was given a tire and wheel by someone and I put them on my axle and it does not hit the TRE does not mean it it is good? or what other problems should I be looking at?

Hi All:

Well, like I mentioned before the stick wheel backspacing is 3.5 inch. Lots of guys run 4.0 BS GM six lug wheels on their Toyotas.

For a Land Cruiser, if you are running tires much more wider than the stock tires you will probably have body tub rub issues if the suspension compresses a lot.

This is one reason more fellows are swapping-in 60 Series axles under their 40 Series. The wider axles do away with the need for wheel spacers or shallow BS wheels.

Regards,

Alan

Thank you. I will probably do similar with the bolt on wheel spacers. In purchasing the wheels, there still seems to be some choice in the offset. Since no one is mentioning the offset can I just ignore it? Or should I take it into consideration? For example if I could only get a 4 in back space in the wheel that I want should I choose the one with the largest negative offset? My fenders are cut, do I understand correctly that the negative offset will give me more clearance inside the wheel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom