transfer case ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i previously post a a thread with concerns about a possible tranny problem however i finally got to investigate the problem. (ACL surgery) As you can see there is a hole in the output shaft cover on the t case. So i take of the cover and the nut and washer fell out. Also the bearing had moved forward about 1/4in. So i dropped the tranny and tcase just to check everything out in case of any other issues. everything was ok and the grinding i was hearing was just those two gears sliding out and grinding cause the nut had become loose. Now putting things together and the output shaft nut only has a couple of thread. so maybe hopefully it is just the wrong size spacer, i measured it and it is just under 2 in. (1- 8/16) to be exact. Anyone know the correct size of this spacer? OR is this the right spacer and i have another issue. pics should help please let me know if you could help. By the way i have a four speed tranny (H41) with a three speed tcase and it is a 72 fj40, Thank you in advance :)
tranny 005.jpg
tranny 003.jpg
tranny 006.jpg

The nut backed off the shaft and went out the hole in the cover. Get a new nut, torque it down add a new cover and you are back in business.

The nut backed off the shaft and went out the hole in the cover. Get a new nut, torque it down add a new cover and you are back in business.

You really think so Charlie?

That kind of damage does not occur over night and operating a transmission with the input gear for the transfer case floating around on the splines of the transmission output shaft is only going to accelerate the damage to the shaft and gear splines.

I guess before you put things together, I would want to see the transmission output shaft and the condition of the splines on the input gear for the transfer case.

The reason things are not lining up is because that bearing on the rear of the transfer case needs to be driven back into its bore. Then you will have things lining up how they should. However, if after you torque that stake nut down to 101 foot-pounds, you can still rotate the PTO gear spacer inside the transfer case, or that other spacer on the rear of the transmission output shaft, I would look at getting a little bit longer spacer made so that the gears and bearings are held secure to the transmission output shaft, otherwise you are going to tear the output shaft up and have a gearbox making noise again soon.

:meh:

well the nut i still have and the threads are still good but it does look like the nut was grinding the cover. then a hard knock may have push the shaft enough to make a hole and the hole wasn t big enough for the nut to pass. Anyways however it happened my main concern is that the nut doesnt have enough threads to make a solid bite plus if i read poser's reply i should be able to spin both spacer.

Poser i believe i set the bearing in all the way but i ll check that again tomorrow, like i said it was pushed out about 1/4 in so i was looking into why it pushed out and if there was a reason for it. As for the shaft both input and output look really good, very little play if not the same from the day i got it and installed. But i was thinking the same about there being another issue which i why i just didnt stop at the cover and disassembled the tcase from the tranny. Is there a possible that i have the wrong spacer? And you mentioned a stronger spacer, do you sell or know where to get one. To me it seems like the spacer should be about a 1/4 in shorter. Anyone have one to compare ?

THANKS AGAIN GUYS :beer:

You really think so Charlie?

:meh:

Yes I do Steve. It was working when he pulled it so I'm betting nothing catastrophic happened. Couldn't hurt to pull the PTO cover and take a peek to make sure everything is fine.

Yes I do Steve. It was working when he pulled it so I'm betting nothing catastrophic happened. Couldn't hurt to pull the PTO cover and take a peek to make sure everything is fine.

Thanks pin head ya I took the pto cover off and the cover on the tranny took a look around. As well as the top plate of the tranny. Slides gears bearings splines all look and feel great. Do you think once I torque the nut down it will grab somemore threads?

As you tighten the rear nut, it will force the rear tube forward, forcing the rear bearing to seat back into the case properly. Posers point was that after tightened, the spacer tubes should NOT spin freely!!!

just looking at the bearing you can tell that it need to seat deeper in the case.

Mark...

As you tighten the rear nut, it will force the rear tube forward, forcing the rear bearing to seat back into the case properly. Posers point was that after tightened, the spacer tubes should NOT spin freely!!!

thanks for clearing that up, i was pretty sure that the spacer not supposed to move, sorry poser i misread your post. if you only had a nickle every time that happened huh. i ll give that a try and see if that bearing does in fact move further into the case.

just looking at the bearing you can tell that it need to seat deeper in the case.

Mark...

as the bearing sits now it is flush with the transfer case. i m working on it this weekend so i will let you know how it goes. Just to clarify one more time cause the pics arent that clear, so the bearing should regress more than just being flush with the case?

i thank everyone for their input and wisdom about my output!! might make that into a bumper sticker,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom