wtf happened here. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, so i am driving down the road, when all of a sudden... bang, shake shimmy, grind... basically all the bad noises and vibrations you really dont want to hear......soooooo.... how the @#$#%^ does this happen.....by the way... I did not move anything, this is how it was when i looked at it, It took me a minute to figure out what i was looking at.....as i am looking at it i am thinking to myself, ...that does not belong there....

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

:confused::confused::crybaby::crybaby::bang::bang::bang::censor::censor::doh::doh::hmm::hmm:

Wow, great carnage for on the road. Here's my guess: A stone or bolt or something was kicked up by the tire and got wedged in either the wheel or the brake rotor and took out the dust shield and sheared the lower studs. Is here any chance one or more of the studs had been broken for a while, maybe from some recent off roading?

not sure but my guess is the 4 studs from control arm (I think that is what it is called) may have been loose? There was a thread about checking your nuts. That is my guess. But the experts will chime in.

Last edited:
its really weird, the brake is now on the wrong side, its now at the front of the truck. the bolts for the brake sheared, one is missing completley, so i am thinking it backed it self out???? dont see how that happens, but anyway...

Then, when i put the brakes on, it grabed the wheel, sheared the other bolt, then went around with the wheel, taking out the ABS sensor, the sheild, then rammed itself into the control arm breaking all the studs at the lower attach point in the process. my rim has a nice big gouge in it....

but how the $%#@$ does the bolts from the caliper do that??????

:meh:

did you recently do an axle job? I would say loose nuts sheared off causing this...glad your ok... good luck with the :wrench:.

I had a caliper bolt fall out once, lots of grinding when the brakes were applied. The caliper would pivot on the one bolt left and wedge up against the rim.

I pulled over and after an hour of looking along side of the road I found it on the lower steering arm in a pile of grease.

I had a caliper bolt fall out once, lots of grinding when the brakes were applied. The caliper would pivot on the one bolt left and wedge up against the rim.

I pulled over and after an hour of looking along side of the road I found it on the lower steering arm in a pile of grease.

This looks like metal (loose bolt) started all the damage.:hmm:

Probably because they were improperly torqued when they were installed, or the threads were damaged.

Ditto on this, I've had a caliper bolt back out after I did a brake job, even after I torqued it. I was lucky that within our group somebody had a bolt that fit. It wasn't the correct length but the threads were right (fine thread).
GG

Probably because they were improperly torqued when they were installed, or the threads were damaged.

X2.

Evidence: 1 bolt is missing, the other loose. Like you say:

Then, when i put the brakes on, it grabed the wheel, sheared the other bolt, then went around with the wheel, taking out the ABS sensor, the sheild, then rammed itself into the control arm breaking all the studs at the lower attach point in the process. my rim has a nice big gouge in it....

A lot of force involved here, requiring 2 large bolts, properly torqued, to bring the 80 to a stop. Once the 1 bolt fell out, the loose 1 that was left to do the job eventually failed. A good example why to check those bolts periodically. Sorry to hear and see the carnage - sometimes experience is the best teacher.

Been there, done that. At least mine came loose on the off-ramp once I had nearly stopped. The funny part was I pulled over and jumped out of the truck to see what had happened, and I saw the washer from the bolt rolling down the ramp. That told me exactly what happened. I grabbed the washer and walked back up the ramp, the bolt was about 50' away sitting in the middle of the ramp. Then the second stroke of luck happened. Of course I don't have any of my tools with me and all the sudden a cruiser buddy (out of pure coincidence) comes down the ramp, sees my truck and stops. He had his tools so I was back up and running in less than 10 min from when it happened.

Nowhere near the carnage that you had with yours since I was going slow when it happened and I could stop almost immediately. Now I check my caliper bolts frequently.

Ouch!

I've had one come out but never both. Its pretty hard to imagine both bolts falling out or shearing at once. My guess is something else broke or you hit some debris to start the carnage.

I've had one come out but never both. Its pretty hard to imagine both bolts falling out or shearing at once. My guess is something else broke or you hit some debris to start the carnage.

I think the conclusion is that one of the bolts had already come out and when the caliper wedged against the wheel the second one sheared under the force. I also think it's highly unlikely that both bolts failed at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom