My FJ70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all, new member here from Melbourne Australia. I have just picked up myself an FJ70 with a 3F. I plan to do some light modifications to it over the coming months.

Cheers Brad.

rimg0210.jpg

rimg0197.jpg

Yep, in the Otways over Easter weekend, no idea where exactly!

Hopefully before I go out again I'll have it lifted and 33's on.

Cheers Brad.

top ride mate
is it on gas little red tag on your plate ?? were does the tank live

Yeah she's on gas. The tank is at the back underneath, I think where the fuel tank would have been. The fuel tank is now in the middle of the car under the passenger side. In that pic, the gas tank is resting on the ground!

Cheers Brad.

Yeah she's on gas. The tank is at the back underneath, I think where the fuel tank would have been. The fuel tank is now in the middle of the car under the passenger side. In that pic, the gas tank is resting on the ground!

Cheers Brad.

Hi Brad. What kind of economy do you get on LPG?

Looks like a no/low rust body you got there;) They are getting hard to find in *J70 these days.

Ah yea good stuff i seen a rolled over half burnt 73 awhile ago in the bush which had a custom fuel tank under the middle good design to miss the bits underneith pretty expensive for the custom tank but worth having all the room in the back still
My old fj75 used to get around 400km from a 110ltr lpg tank which is bad but i never used a whole tank just for the road allways went for at least one big 4wd
anymore pics mate

Rosco, I get about 300klm from 60L of gas, I can live with that. Once it's in the bush though, it's a different story!

The body is neat, there are a couple of spots of surface rust, but that's it.

No more pics, yet. I've been shopping around for quotes to replcae all the suspension and lift it so I can fit (probably) a 33'' tyre. Does anyone have any advice?

Cheers Brad.

On my fj75 i ran 33x12.5x15 bfg and had extended shackles from ebay au ( i found they made they ride a fair bit more comfy to for a 4x leaf spring ride) std springs and had no rubbing issues
23042008.jpg

Rosco, I get about 300klm from 60L of gas, I can live with that. Once it's in the bush though, it's a different story!

The body is neat, there are a couple of spots of surface rust, but that's it.

No more pics, yet. I've been shopping around for quotes to replcae all the suspension and lift it so I can fit (probably) a 33'' tyre. Does anyone have any advice?

Cheers Brad.

20l/100 for LPG is not too bad,I was getting close to that on petrol. I know someone else who claimed it was 30l/100 of LPG in their FJ73 :eek:

You dont need much of a lift to handle 33s. I have a 33 BFG A/T in this pic with a Dobinson 2 inch lift and it has never rubbed
exotic cruisers 001 (Medium).jpg

They are great fun these things:)

You dont need much to fit 33's. You might be able to fit them stock or just a small body lift or suspension lift. If i were you i would take advantage of the standard springs- put some extended shackles on and take the sway bar off and thats the most flex your going to get unless you start doing custom setups. Lifted springs improve load carrying ability and excessive swaying on the road but they are a step backwards in terms of suspension travel.

You also want to keep the COG as low as possible with these shortys so the less lift the better!

20l/100 for LPG is not too bad,I was getting close to that on petrol. I know someone else who claimed it was 30l/100 of LPG in their FJ73 :eek:

You dont need much of a lift to handle 33s. I have a 33 BFG A/T in this pic with a Dobinson 2 inch lift and it has never rubbed

Thats not to bad on fuel, onroad with 2-3'' lift, lotsa heavy steel barwork, winch, 33''s and draws in the back mine has settled at 310-320km to 72L. Out on the beach though fuel consumption DOUBLES!.

To run 33''s you wont need much lift 2'' would be fine. If you search around you should be able to get a full set of second hand 2'' lift springs for less than $200. Try local wreckers and put up some WTB ads.

Thanks for the replies guys!! A lot more simple than I had anticipated. I'll measure the height it is at now for reference, I think it may have sagged a bit. Will def need new shocks.

Cheers Brad.

Well, the suspension that is in there now, is stuffed, so I am replacing the lot, all in one hit. Also, will be lifted approx 2'' over standard. Hopefully I will have this done within the fortnight.

Cheers Brad.

Well, the suspension that is in there now, is stuffed, so I am replacing the lot, all in one hit. Also, will be lifted approx 2'' over standard. Hopefully I will have this done within the fortnight.

Cheers Brad.

Thats the way to do it,all at once:D What springs did you choose?
Make sure the drivers side spring goes on the drivers side. It should be written or stamped on the spring there but you can tell because it is 10-15mm higher upside down on a level floor

I got lazy and booked it in at ARB, so it will be OME stuff, 2'' higher than standard. I'm getting the lot done, springs, shocks, shackles, bushes, U-bolts, steering damper.

Fingers crossed, it will look OK. I believe it has sagged about 2''..... I measured from the center of the axle to the bottom of the guard and the average was about 600mm.

After which I have to decide what tyres to get.......

Cheers Brad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom