Need camping recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Southeast Overland

Get lost! Go explore!
Threads
Website
www.southeastoverland.com
I'm looking for a recommendation on where to go camping in a couple of weeks. I'm looking for primitive camping in the woods where I can take my dogs and leave them crated in the car at night. Gonna stay a couple of nights and would like hiking and other activities nearby.

Oh, and in western NC.

Any suggestions?

No, but I know a sweet spot in Western Maryland in Savage River State Forest....great fire roads and ranger access roads for hiking or mountain biking...cross 5-6 trout streams on purpose to get to your site...primitive camping all the way and Spring run off keeps the local teenagers from driving back there unless they got a good 4x4 as streams get pretty deep and fast this time of year...had them up to headlights on cherokee with 33" tires and 3" lift in May. LOL

If ever up that way it is the Poplar Lick Run campsites in Savage River....OHV only to get to sites...I usually camped in lower half. :D

Hanging Dog campground? Murphy could use the buisness.

I thought about it. I'll be at GSMTR so I don't want to drag my wife there twice.

The wife and I usually go to Lost Mine just up the 'hollar' from the Nantahala Outdoor Center but our dogs "The Boys" might be attending this time so car camping somewhere with fewer people might be better.

Go up by the Shining Rock area, We (scouts) went there backpacking 2 weeks ago, lots of camping somewhat close to the parking area. !/2 mile or so. A few dogs up there while we were there. Parking less than 5 miles(i think) from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Go up by the Shining Rock area, We (scouts) went there backpacking 2 weeks ago, lots of camping somewhat close to the parking area. !/2 mile or so. A few dogs up there while we were there. Parking less than 5 miles(i think) from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I second the shining rock wilderness area; there are alot of great trails in the Black Balsam and Graveyard fields area just off the parkway

Now you're just being picky...

Go to Devil's Fork.

You could go to Standing Indian campground right outside of Franklin. They have car camping and the Appalachian trail passes right through there. Plus there are other sites to see or you could roll into Highlands for a day or two.

Now you're just being picky...

Go to Devil's Fork.

I have certain 'requirements' per the :princess:. Do you mean Devils Fork State Park in Oconee Co SC?

You could go to Standing Indian campground right outside of Franklin. They have car camping and the Appalachian trail passes right through there. Plus there are other sites to see or you could roll into Highlands for a day or two.

Hmmm - might be an option!

I would like an area where I could basically car camp - sleep very close to the Pig.

you could do this at Balck Balsam; the is a good sized parking lot at the trail head. I have car camp there a few times myself.... and it is an awesome area if you like hiking the open balds

Oconee State Park is awesome also. (SC) good hiking trails, waterfalls, WW rafting. I've even been told there is some trail riding off of Cassidy Bridge Rd.

JP - clean out your dang PM box!

it is clean now, but call me if you want I only get online once every day or two now.... no internet at home:frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom