Muncie M22 4spd Transmission w/ overdrive and 3spd Toyota transfer case 1968 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I a selling everything from the motor back from my 1968 FJ40 that had a V8 conversion done in 74.

This includes:
Bell housing
Torque converter
Flywheel
Muncie 4spd (M22) transmission
Overdrive unit
Stock 3spd transfer case

all functional and in great shape with NO abuse. all dry, desert conditions for the last 30 years too

not really familiar with the value of these parts...so for now they are going up for $1000.00 obo

I have the orig small block 327 from the 1966 Corvette that this motor and tranny came from. Will consider selling as a whole if interested.
IMG00142.jpg

will consider trades too

its a Hone-O-Drive unit...popular in the 70's muscle car era..the reason it's behind this Muncie..they are very rare and in demand with the hot rod guys fom what i've been hearing. here is a link if you want to see what people say about them : baldwin motion "hone-o-drive"? - Chevelle Tech

toomanytoyzz

i haven't mentioned that the "bone-o'drive" was the most amazing thing ever manufactured and is amazing for OR use, but thanks and i will make sure to look for any posts you have in the classifieds and make sure to put something up mentioning how it's a POS to help your sale.

I had a 327 and M21 a while back that no one in the off-road community wanted. Too many other good options out there. However, I did manage to sell both for a good price to the Muscle Car restoration community. Just a thought...

Phil

I know that if it is truly a M22 Rockcrusher close ratio 4 speed box out of a corvette, the box alone can be worth your asking price! I agree with Georg, sell it to the muscle car world but I think you should research the value a little more. Good Luck!

m21 - m22

i seriously doubt that this trans is an m22 rock-crusher, looks like an m21 to me. should be fairly easy to tell by doing a little research. a good used m22 is worth at least $750-1000. the m21 is worth less than half of that .............

some ifo here:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiacdude428/tranny.html

My first 40 (and the one I still have now) came with a M22 in it, fun as hell to drive on the street. That combined with the V8, 31" tires, and the 4.11 diff's, beat quite a few muscle cars in some street drags.
It also ripped apart 3 transfer cases while grabbing 4th gear rubber and other stupid things, but one of those case savers would have been a godsend.
I now have a SM465 in it, much more offroad friendly, but not as crisp shifting.
So nothing useful to add, but good luck with your sale! :)

thank you very much for your experience with the Muncie!!! im no tranny expert but do know that both the 327 AND the Muncie came from a 1966 Corvette which was wrecked in 1972....owner bought a 40 and said "why not put a V8 in it?"ran it for hunting and dune trips...guess before i sell i should know exactly but the PO did say it was an M22

thank you very much for your experience with the Muncie!!! but the PO did say it was an M22

NICE!
You should just look at the ones on e-bay--BIG $$$$

So identify what you have and price it accordingly-Don't give it away!

will do, thank you...haven't looked on Ebay yet

pic of other side

other side

I a selling everything from the motor back from my 1968 FJ40 that had a V8 conversion done in 74.

This includes:
Bell housing
Torque converter
Flywheel
Muncie 4spd (M22) transmission
Overdrive unit
Stock 3spd transfer case

all functional and in great shape with NO abuse. all dry, desert conditions for the last 30 years too

not really familiar with the value of these parts...so for now they are going up for $1000.00 obo

I have the orig small block 327 from the 1966 Corvette that this motor and tranny came from. Will consider selling as a whole if interested.
IMG00143.jpg

toomanytoyzz

i haven't mentioned that the "bone-o'drive" was the most amazing thing ever manufactured and is amazing for OR use, but thanks and i will make sure to look for any posts you have in the classifieds and make sure to put something up mentioning how it's a POS to help your sale.

Just relaying what I've heard in the past about these units, and you're more than welcome to offer your opinions on stuff I'm selling. You act like it's never been done on this site before.

It's hard to tell the M20 & M21 from the M22 without close detail. However, the NUMBERS on the side of the case will tell you everything.

Try these links:
Muncie 4 Speed Transmissions
Muncie 4 Speed Transmissions and Parts

Also, if this is a matching combination from a Corvette, DO NOT SEPERATE.... They are worth more to a Corvette restorer as a package.
You can advertise in Hemmings http://www.hemmings.com/ or probably a dozen Corvette restorer forums to find a buyer.

Phil

Last edited:
Luke, The trans is most likely an m21.I dont see a lower drain plug which only 22's came with in 66.The only positve way to identify is to pull the side cover and check the gears.the hone o drive is rare and was used in baldwin motion camaros and corvettes so they tend to get good money now days,,I sold one for 1500 a couple of years ago,and sold the shifter alone for 500 but it has to be the correct one they used back in the day.The muncie would need a mainshaft change to be used in a car again and a new tailshaft housing.the m21 is a 2.20 first gear so not very cruiser friendly.This combo was probably done a long time ago.I would love to see a better pic of the hone o drive..Hope this helps

just the type of comments i can appreciate! thank you whitey45, i will have the motor and tranny out this week to better tell what exactly i have. thanks for the advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom