22ret questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So ive been away from yotas for about a year now. Rescently my daily driver took a s*** so its time to start looking. I found an 86' xtra cab 22ret with no rust, oak flatbed, shortened frame, led tails, new 77k mile engine, brand new custom garrett turbo (dont know model as of now), boost/pyro gauges, fully loaded with an auto trans.

my questions are

1) i know the turbos are the weak point of these, but with a new turbo do you guys think ill run into any problems using this as a daily driver as long as i keep the boost reasonable?
2) I dont know much about these auto trannies, the guy says the truck deffinatly has ALOT more balls than a stock 22ret will the auto tranny take much more than stock?
3)Anything i need to know about these engines before i go buy this truck for $1750?

yea, sounds like your turbo weak link would be takin care of and I dont see it pushing enough power to give your tranny issues. Your bottom end would go before the tranny would I would think.

what is the bottom end good for reliably? i was thinking 7-8 psi max, is that pushing it? I have an FMIC, piping, greddy BOV, manual boost controller and some other stuff laying around i can throw on it also.

well, non turbo its bomb proof. I dont know if the changed it with the 22rte or not, I would think that they would have had too in order for lower compresion and strengthen rods and all that for the turbo. If that is the case I would say that the bottom end would be super reliable. Not for sure though.

i know that the comp ratio is lower but for some reasons i think i remember reading that the rest of it was unchanged...Does anyone know for sure?

my questions are

1) i know the turbos are the weak point of these, but with a new turbo do you guys think ill run into any problems using this as a daily driver as long as i keep the boost reasonable?
2) I dont know much about these auto trannies, the guy says the truck deffinatly has ALOT more balls than a stock 22ret will the auto tranny take much more than stock?
3)Anything i need to know about these engines before i go buy this truck for $1750?

What all did the guy do to the engine? Lower the compression?

If you run 7-8 psi on a stock rte, you'll be fine. The computer shuts fuel off at roughly 12-15psi. Mine is 15 lol. If you crank up the boost, you might consider ARP head studs otherwise your head gasket will blow.

For 1700? I'd do it. The auto is lame. If it had the R151F, it wouldn't be the end of the world if blew.

Basically, if you don't do anything crazy or stupid the motor and tranny will be fine.

The only real problem with the ct-20 (besides lack of upgrades) is the stock exhaust is too small causing the turbo to get hot and crack.

Check out: 22RTE-Trucks.com
Or: Jeff’s 22R-TE Page

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom