piston spray nozzle 3B (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening,

I am in the process of swapping in a new to me 3B into my bj62. While I swapped oil pans for my turbo setup I noticed that #3 & #4 oil nozzles were broken off!
I have the FSM but it shows a special tool, I could fab something up, but, does anybody have the puller and would loan it to me?

Anybody run into this before?

Thanks,
Daryl

PS . I am swapping engines due to mine going boom and having zero compression on #1. I dropped the oil pan tonight and there was about a cup of piston chunks in it. The complete skirt is missing from #1!

However you do it I wouldnt skip it. I just pulled apart a 12HT that had a blown #1 rod bearing. The engine appeared to be used hard but the only thing I found directly related to #1 was that the oiler tube was broken off.

Good evening,

I am in the process of swapping in a new to me 3B into my bj62. While I swapped oil pans for my turbo setup I noticed that #3 & #4 oil nozzles were broken off!
I have the FSM but it shows a special tool, I could fab something up, but, does anybody have the puller and would loan it to me?

Anybody run into this before?

Thanks,
Daryl

PS . I am swapping engines due to mine going boom and having zero compression on #1. I dropped the oil pan tonight and there was about a cup of piston chunks in it. The complete skirt is missing from #1!

I think I recall someone saying that they got theirs out without it and that the "special tool" isn't really necessary - isn't it just like a little hook that tugs them out?

Also, how the hell do you break the skirts off a 3B piston? They're like 1/4" thick!

I've removed them using a socket, large washer, bolt (with the correct thread to fit the hole in the oiler) and a nut to thread on the bolt. Basically the same idea as the OEM tool.

You probably want to chase the threads in the oilers first so you get a good bite.

I've removed them using a socket, large washer, bolt (with the correct thread to fit the hole in the oiler) and a nut to thread on the bolt. Basically the same idea as the OEM tool.

You probably want to chase the threads in the oilers first so you get a good bite.

So were they hard to remove? Is it alot of friction removing them. I would assume a brass drift and light tap with hammer to reinstall.

Thanks,
Daryl

They came out relatively easily in the 2-3 engines that I've done it to. A tap with the hammer and drift put them back in just make sure they point the right way!

Thanks! I will give it a go tomorrow.

Daryl

So I used a bolt and nut and 19mm socket. Had to use a torch to warm the block some and they slid right out.

BUT,

the dead 1985 engine and the good 1984 engine have alot of differences! The spray nozzles for the 1984 are longer and have a larger oil feed hole. Sooooo I am looking for some early 1984 oil nozzles, 2 to be exact!
there are quite a few differances, including the engine mounts, the rigid mount on the block and the vibration mount, power steering pump and bracket. The rigid engine mounts bolt to different locations on the block.

Daryl

there are quite a few differances, including the engine mounts, the rigid mount on the block and the vibration mount, power steering pump and bracket. The rigid engine mounts bolt to different locations on the block.

Funny, I just posted a thread on this same difference. Can you take photos of the block, fixed mounts, and frame mounts for comparison, and add any observations/measurements you can (like from what models did the motors come?).

This would be really helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom