There is no such thing as a (factory) HJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am challenging the believers.

This: Toyota Landcruiser HJ60 HJ61 1988 Wagon - eBay, Passenger Vehicles, Cars, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 30-Apr-09 06:41:00 AEST) ?

A theoretical HJ62 would have all the features of a FJ62 (four rectangles, updated dash, upgraded frame, 2H (not 12HT) motor, and could really have any transmission, though probably the A440F or A441. Could have either ambi doors or clamshell.

Speculation...is all I have seen, never a VIN.

Well...anybody have compelling or dispositive evidence?

Last edited:
That bullbar is pickup only, no shipping or else I would have bought it already.

I do not believe there ever was a factory HJ62.

Anybody who buys it could arrange to have a local ship it (for a small fee).

GLTHFJ60, I already had you down on the "sane" list, but it is always good to bolster your standing.

GLTHFJ60, I already had you down on the "sane" list, but it is always good to bolster your standing.

Haha, excellent!

My logic is that the HJ61 had everything the HJ62 would have had but with the 12H-T. Therefore the HJ60 was the "base" model with the round headlights and manual everything where the HJ61 was the "luxury" model with automatic everything and the turbo. No need for a HJ62.

HJ62 exist in Australia do a google search for landcruiser hj62 Australia. The same as some fj62's have round headlights.The bullbar in a previous post is as common as dirt here and aren't all that strong.

HJ62 exist in Australia do a google search for landcruiser hj62 Australia. The same as some fj62's have round headlights.The bullbar in a previous post is as common as dirt here and aren't all that strong.

I just did and I have found people that *think* there is a HJ62 but if you go to Car Prices - Search Car Prices & Values Online - Red Book and look up models in the 89 and 87 model years ( supposed begin and end of the range for the HJ62 ) there is only the FJ62, HJ60 and HJ61, no HJ62.

I hold firm until someone shows me a vin plate that says "HJ62"

Last edited:
I am challenging the believers.

This: Toyota Landcruiser HJ60 HJ61 1988 Wagon - eBay, Passenger Vehicles, Cars, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 30-Apr-09 06:41:00 AEST) ?

A theoretical HJ62 would have all the features of a FJ62 (four rectangles, updated dash, upgraded frame, 2H (not 12HT) motor, and could really have any transmission, though probably the A440F or A441. Could have either ambi doors or clamshell.

Speculation...it all I have seen, never a VIN.

Well...anybody have compelling or dispositive evidence?

I can't find an HJ62 listed as a model in ToyoDIY for "other" countries, however, the HJ61 comes close. MTM or ATM, four rectangular head lamps. updated instrument console. I don't know how what criteria you use for "upgraded frame"--upgraded from what? The HJ61 has it's own frame. Also engine, why 2H and not 12HT? FJ62 has a different engine from FJ60, if that's the comparision your trying to make.

No swing out doors, though...
HJ61 models.jpg

2mbb, that's what we're saying. The HJ61 has all the features that the HJ62 would have had except it had a better engine, the 12H-T. My guess would be that the HJ62 would have everything the 61 has with the 2H engine, but I don't think that exists.

Now the HJ60 of the same era has the 2H, rectanuglar head lamps, updated dash, lift up or swing out rear doors, but no ATM.
HJ60 models.jpg

Now the HJ60 of the same era has the 2H, rectanuglar head lamps, updated dash, lift up or swing out rear doors, but no ATM.

So the HJ62 we're looking for is actually the later HJ60 series. That makes sense.

I believe a hj62 is a non existant animal,62 would be gasser and start with Fj ,after that would be the HJ 60 with the 2H and 61 with the 12HT.
The 60 did have electric power options but not like the 61 VX which had everthing under the sun.
If there is a Hj62 it would have the Diesel engine not sure which one probably the 2H and the flat roof rather than the bubble roof that the 60 and 61s have this would be the only possible criteria for a HJ62.

Last edited:
I agree with you GLTHFJ60, when I drop a 12H-T into my FJ62, I figured it would become a HJ62. So I searched for a couple of days looking for an HJ62 (factory), I came up with nothing.
GG

Of course, I could be wrong, see post #5
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/281016-best-toyota-diesel-engine.html

And then see post 6 and 7. To the HJ62 believers, you're on thinner ice than believing in ghosts, aliens, the Loch Ness monster, Sasquatch, or even....Jehovah.

I believe a hj62 is a non existant animal,62 would be gasser and start with Fj ,after that would be the HJ 60 with the 2H and 61 with the 12HT.
The 60 did have electric power options but not like the 61 VX which had everthing under the sun.
If there is a Hj62 it would have the Diesel engine not sure which one and the flat roof rather than the bubble roof that the 60 and 61s have this would be the only possible criteria for a HJ62.

There absolutely were high-top roofs (with and without sunroofs), with either ambi doors and clamshell, in the HJ60 and FJ60 (non in the US, of course). Some had third row seats and rear A/C. some not, depending on the trim level and market. An "HJ62", is merely a late (post 86) HJ60, which incorporated the 62's "upgrades", namely dash, frame and lights.

As for the frame, oh, there sure are differences, principally in the X'd front and rear cross members.

The pinnacle of the 60-series, of course, is the fully loaded HJ61, with high-top & electric sun roof, electric everything, clutch booster, third row seats, rear a/c, factory front and rear cable lockers, the 12H-T, factory PTO, autopilot, geisha and ball massager...

This thread is a re-do: See posts 7-12 here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/271322-buying-hj62-what-look-out.html#post4215721
And as I argued there, I'll state again here...that database linked is the ONLY evidence of an HJ62, and it isn't even a hair sample...

Last edited:
Not sure what you said but a 62 to my experience would be the flat top roof I can't speculate on what options it would have or what market is was sold in but to date I have not seen any out of the JDM market.
I have not seen a Sasquatch either but that does not mean they don't exist.

Last edited:
I have found HJ61s in all type of body and drivetrain configurations and I have never seen an actual VIN reading HJ62.

I don't think there was ever a need to designate a HJ62 with all the configurations the JDM HJ61s came with.

I don't believe there is a factory HJ62

A few pics of HJ61s with available body configs (all 12H-Ts though).
akamine 61.JPG
HJ61.JPG
HJ61 (2).JPG

what is that panel over the fuel door (and it extends beyond the edge of the tail light lens)??

.....:beer:
HJ61VX.JPG
HJ61 (3).JPG
DSC00652.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom