Need a really simple wiring harness (or diagram to make one) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the new buggy arrived on Saturday. At some point in its history- someone abandoned the idea of having it be street legal. Indiana has pretty lax motor vehicle standards- so I'd like to get a plate for it to be able to take it around town on occasion.

There isn't anything left of the chassis wiring harness. No headlight plugs, no clearance lights, no tail light, turn signals etc. I either need to purchase a really simple wiring harness from someone- or at least find a diagram and build it myself.

The circuits I need are...

headlights

tail lights

turn signals

4 way flashers

Then- it'll need a windshield. Gumby has one for me- and the cowl will need to be straightened to allow for windshield hinges.

Suggestions?

Luke

I used a jeep cherokee fuse pannel as an aux for my fj80, Pick and pull had loads of them for 10$ the fuses in it cost that much.. it has a about 10 fuse slots and 2 main 30-50 amp buss fuses.. You could use a relay for the headlights off one of the buss fuses, and the rest would be easy..

The fuse box is about 2" by 8" and is usually located in the passengers side of the engine bay on all jeep products wranglers to grand cherokee's..... just cut the whole harness out of the engine compartment its easier that way, we spent about 30 min tracing out what we wanted and cut off the rest...

good luck

So the new buggy arrived on Saturday. At some point in its history- someone abandoned the idea of having it be street legal. Indiana has pretty lax motor vehicle standards- so I'd like to get a plate for it to be able to take it around town on occasion.

There isn't anything left of the chassis wiring harness. No headlight plugs, no clearance lights, no tail light, turn signals etc. I either need to purchase a really simple wiring harness from someone- or at least find a diagram and build it myself.

The circuits I need are...

headlights

tail lights

turn signals

4 way flashers

Then- it'll need a windshield. Gumby has one for me- and the cowl will need to be straightened to allow for windshield hinges.

Suggestions?

Luke

I like these guys. I have installed several harness and I havent had a problem with there product. The ez wiring harness are 170 compared to the painless harness which somewhere around 450.

Wiring Harness

For the circuits you describe I would build one. A couple relays and follow an old wiring diagram for turn signals and hazards. Might save you a few hundred dollars.

For the circuits you describe I would build one. A couple relays and follow an old wiring diagram for turn signals and hazards. Might save you a few hundred dollars.

That's where I'm leaning at this point. I have the remnants of a GM truck harness (late 1970s as a starting point. Still looking for a simple diagram.

Luke

Try going to "autodroid" store and look at the wiring diagram for older cruiser/chevy/ford, late 60's early 70's should give you a couple ideas. there are a few diagrams in the "Electrical tech" Tech section too.

I couldn't disagree more, having done the wiring in my buggy from scratch.

The EZ wiring is how I'd do it if I had to do it again. Forget messing around with 30 year old, corroded, brittle wiring, or in my case, spending hours getting everything just right with new wiring, when it could have been just right hours ago, for not a lot more money. After I bought fuse boxes, hundreds of feet or wiring, quality connectors, flashers, relays, etc... it would have been maybe $50 more to get the pre-made harness.

I didn't realize they were that cheap, even using leftover crap in the garage it wouldn't be a long stretch to spend almost that much. The last ones I looked at were way more $$$.

with ezwire, you should request colored wires! i ordered a harness from them and got all black wires, with the circuits printed every so often on the wires. great until something rubs the description off.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom