2 OEM spare tire carriers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for info on using 2 OEM spare tire carriers on my aqulalu aluminum tubbed 78 FJ40 (1 for a tire and 1 for a Jerry can). Can I use the proper (tube) OEM on the drivers side and an older style on the pass side? What have others done short of custom fab? Trying to keep this cheap and simple (aren't we all)

Thanks,
mark

Looking for info on using 2 OEM spare tire carriers on my aqulalu aluminum tubbed 78 FJ40 (1 for a tire and 1 for a Jerry can). Can I use the proper (tube) OEM on the drivers side and an older style on the pass side? What have others done short of custom fab? Trying to keep this cheap and simple (aren't we all)

Thanks,
mark

Get a 71-74 and a 75-76 carrier, they are pretty much the same IIRC, just mirrored. One for the PS, one for the DS:meh:

Got this one on Mud, cheap;)
IMG_0060.jpg
IMG_0061.jpg

I have a drivers side that I'll sell you, it's the 75+ one. No latch though, I think I sold that a while back.

Brian

I have a drivers side that I'll sell you, it's the 75+ one. No latch though, I think I sold that a while back.

Brian

75 and 76 model are a solid panel just with the 77 model (late 76) it going to the tube style until the end of the FJ40 production. The latch for the 75/76 is no longer available new from Toyota. I thougth able taking the tube style carrier apart and put it together backwards for the passenger's. Better design in my opinion

I used 2 tube style carriers on a 79, one for the tire and one for a cooler. cut the tire holder part off and spun the hinges around and mounted. then welded on the cooler rack.

I used 2 tube style carriers on a 79, one for the tire and one for a cooler. cut the tire holder part off and spun the hinges around and mounted. then welded on the cooler rack.

Pics?

That sounds like what I want to accomplish...

DON"T LAUGH! this was from a long time ago. this rig went across the country several times and the cooler rack worked out pretty darn good.
79C.jpg
DSCF0006.jpg
DSCF0045.jpg

not sure what happened to that first pic??
DSCF0005.jpg

Well the bald spare and the exhaust are a little bit questionable but otherwise it's a cool rig. Did you have to do anything special with the latch?

what about all the riveted on sheet steel??

I used all the OEM stuff, rubber deally thing and the hook part of the latch, just drilled thru the rear sill in the proper location, and ran a nut on from behind. I think I used some sheet steel on the hinge location, similar to the stock side.

I used to take the pass. seat out and deck all the way to the dash and slept plenty of nights in there.

what about all the riveted on sheet steel??

I used all the OEM stuff, rubber deally thing and the hook part of the latch, just drilled thru the rear sill in the proper location, and ran a nut on from behind. I think I used some sheet steel on the hinge location, similar to the stock side.

I used to take the pass. seat out and deck all the way to the dash and slept plenty of nights in there.

Thanks.. I'll have to lay my tube carrier on there and see what's what.

And nice! Sleepin' on top of the gas tank... sweet!

Thanks.. I'll have to lay my tube carrier on there and see what's what.

And nice! Sleepin' on top of the gas tank... sweet!

'79.... tank was underneath

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom