Herbicides (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know most everyone uses Roundup but I thought what others (including you professionals out there) were using. I use Razor at work but have also used 2 4-D in the pasture. Maybe some organic users out there (vinegar mixes?).

Got a lot honeysuckle, poison oak, privet on my place....and these pesky thistle plants (has a purple head) but can get huge and maybe puncture a tire. Some call it Russell Sickle?

Anything with the ingredient "Glyphosate" does the same thing as Roundup. Probably still your best bet for a complete kill.

I know you'll think I'm s***ting you, but try Vinegar with a drop of soap in a 1 qt spray bottle for the thistles (not sure about the poison oak, though). Vinegar burns the s*** out of them.

I don't know what this plant is called (maybe some of the ag guys will chime in) but it grows in pastures, can get really big, has a stem with a big purple plant head, and then has big ass spines. Not as big a spine/thorn as a locust tree but enough that it is harmful----best to dig them up to get the tap root but I've resorted to diesel/herbicide and straight gas at times to kill it. Wish I had a pic.

I know it sounds funny but for those who are pesticide averse, I've heard of people around here using goats.
Brush Goats 4 Hire

You hire someone that brings a herd. They confine them to the area of interest and INTENSIVELY graze. The goats eat everything, including thickets of poison oak of which we have plenty around here. They are gaining popularity for reducing fire hazards around homes in rural areas.

Butt

Roundup always worked great for me. Not cheap though if you have a big area to do.
Anything as effective but cheaper?

After a little looking, I think what we have is a varient of what is known as Bull thistle found up north and Purple star thistle found in the Pacific NW..........be glad if you don't have it.

Goats will eat it though. I just don't have the fence for goats but they do a great job. Not very "earth day" like but I have to use the chemicals to keep the property for growing wild.

Roundup will kill everything, 2,4-D will only kill broadleafs. What is your intended use of the property? How big is the "pasture"? Most everything else is a RUP and unless you have an applicator's license you won't be able to buy the good stuff. I think there are a quite a few good pasture type chemicals that have no grazing or forage restrictions.

Thistles are tough to kill with spray, digging the root and removing them is usually the only surefire treatment for thistle in my experience.

I use Carmex on my driveways. If you put it down, nothing will grow for about 4 years. It is a clay based powder. I think they pulled it off the market in CA.

I use Crossbow for the broadleafs in the pastures. I keep the horses out of the pasture for a few days while it kills them.

I use Transline for the thistle. It only kills thistle but it is crazy expensive ($700 per qt)

This year I tried Shark on the FiddleNeck. I applied it and it died, but the weather changed and all the fiddleneck died in the entire valley. (Micro Climate)

I tried some Poly Pro Star since it has almost the same ingredients as Round Up and 1/3 of the price. It does not have the Top Burn that Round Up has and it take about two weeks to notice a difference.

I use Round Up around the irrigation heads in the pastures. I can apply it when the horses are in the pasture, no worries.

Diesel fuel, while not exactly 'legal', is know to kill grass and pretty much anything else it is sprayed on.

No need to ignite it, either. :cheers:

Doesn't kill the roots around here.

Diesel fuel, while not exactly 'legal', is know to kill grass and pretty much anything else it is sprayed on.

No need to ignite it, either. :cheers:

You would have a hard time telling the difference between a 3% Round Up Blend and Mirical Grow when applied to Western Yellow Star Thistle.

Doesn't kill the roots around here.

You would have a hard time telling the difference between a 3% Round Up Blend and Mirical Grow when applied to Western Yellow Star Thistle.

Tough s***, huh? Vinegar burns the Russian thistle (purple flower) we have here. Try that. :D

Western Yellow Star Thistle starts growing when it quits raining for about a month and the temperatures hit about 100 degrees. Way to dry to mow.

Bull thistle and Russian thistle can be killed with a 1% crossbow blend. The oils on the leaves allow water to run off, as well as herbicides. I add a tea spoon dawn dish soap to break the surface tension of the oils on the plant. You can also hit it with a 3% blend but that is just waisting the stuff.

Ranger, Razor Pro, Glyfos X-Tra, and Gly Star Plus are some of the generic versions of Round up (and as Dan stated 1/3 the cost). Glyphosate will only work on weeds that are actively growing and will only kill through the foliage.
We've had excellent results on patches of Burmuda grass if we fertilize and water it first..

We've had excellent results on patches of Burmuda grass if we fertilize and water it first..

That's really saying something!!! From my experiences, Burmuda grass is extremely difficult to kill. :bang:

That's really saying something!!! From my experiences, Burmuda grass is extremely difficult to kill. :bang:

That stuff even grows in northern Idaho??:eek:

Very interesting replies from everyone...my intent was to learn more about the other herbicides out of curiousity. Our pasture is only about 10 acres at most so spot spraying and root digging has been effective (I just have to keep ahead of them).

I don't have the license but when I worked in right of way maintenance I had access to Garlon 4.....that was some effective stuff when spraying on recently cut tree stumps to prevent re-growth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom