2F HEI Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

klinetime574

TLCA #27404
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey Guys!

I just installed a new distributor from "heidizzy" on ebay. Very satisfied with the workmanship and the sale. Came with very thorough instructions and spark plug wires shipped to my door for $300. The distributor looks like a big joke when its on the table in front of you because its so huge. But do not be decieved!

Right now I have it timed right on the BB mark on the flywheel which was impossible to achieve with the OEM unit. The spark plug gap is set at the top of the recommended range which is .050 . The engine sounds very heavy, and different to me. I think it may be from too strong a spark. Also the valve-train is a little louder than before. So I think I may decrease the spark plug gap to the bottom of .045 . I think this may remedy the angry sounding engine that I have at the moment. Also I need to figure out where to run the tachometer wire. There is one open slot on the dizzy that is marked "Coil" If thats the right spot someone please chime in! I didn't want to fry the tach.

The stock hard lines that run along the block aren't going to make the cut. The distributor is just too big! I will have to run long hoses neatly through the engine bay. You won't even be able to tell ;) And now with the stock coil out of the way the engine bay looks a little more balanced too.

So I just need some more tinkering and I think it will run much better than it did on the first run. Overall it runs better than tired OEM ran. Probably from having so many things changed on my engine haha.

The next things on my list are:

• New Spark Plugs gapped to .045
  • Play with the timing
  • Play with the Weber
  • Run new, longer coolant lines
  • Hook up Tachometer

Sadly I have no installed pics. Camera battery died. Just ones I took when it arrived.

IMG_2762.jpg

In the shot below thats a Maglite that runs off 2 D cells.

IMG_2763.jpg

And my phone next to the cap and the rest of the distributor.

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

Those colors are legit. You know it!

I like working on the cruiser. No one at my school does anything crazy like this :D

If any of ya'll have any tips or info you wanna share just chime in! I won't turn it down!

:cheers:

Did you have to relocate the coolant lines ? If so how did you do it ?

Mark

When I do I will just run the two in question (The one that bolts on the side cover and the one from t-stat housing to oil cooler) out and away from the distributor eliminating the hard lines. Right now they are unbolted from the block to allow some squeeze room.

Did you have to relocate the coolant lines ? If so how did you do it ?

Mark

OE type caps have "tach" molded into the side where the wire connector clips in. It is right next to where the power wire connects to the dizzy.

Damn that's a big dizzy. You think it makes that big of a difference?

When you rebuilt your engine, you did a desmog, right?

OE type caps have "tach" molded into the side where the wire connector clips in. It is right next to where the power wire connects to the dizzy.

The only open spot that is left is a slot that is marked "COIL" The other two slots are for the plug from the lower half of dizzy and the 12V power. I dunno if the COIL is where I plug in the Tach or not.

GLTHFJ60 said:
Damn that's a big dizzy. You think it makes that big of a difference?

When you rebuilt your engine, you did a desmog, right?

It makes throttle response instant! I think I have too much power now so its a little off. I'm gonna cut down the spark plug gap this weekend. See if that improves the feel. But I am fairly certain this has loads more power. And yes I have a desmog :D It runs like a tractor haha

It makes throttle response instant! I think I have too much power now so its a little off. I'm gonna cut down the spark plug gap this weekend. See if that improves the feel. But I am fairly certain this has loads more power. And yes I have a desmog :D It runs like a tractor haha

Hmmmm. $300 is kinda pricy for a dizzy, but if it runs that much better:hmm:

I challenge you to find a cheaper Distributor! hehe

(you can't)

tee hee

I challenge you to find a cheaper Distributor! hehe

(you can't)

tee hee

Someone's celebrating 4/20 a few days late, :lol:

I wonder how a recurved stock dizzy compares :hmm:

Someone's celebrating 4/20 a few days late, :lol:

I wonder how a recurved stock dizzy compares :hmm:

I tried to contact someone to get mine recurved, never got a reply. Must have been too busy. I heard it was somewhere around $100 though

Usually with HEI's there's only one extra terminal, and that's the tach terminal. I'd give it try.

Usually with HEI's there's only one extra terminal, and that's the tach terminal. I'd give it try.

Thats what I was thinking too. And it says a tach can be hooked up. And its the only slot haha. Guess I'll be doing this.

I just installed a new distributor from "heidizzy" on ebay.

The engine sounds very heavy, and different to me. I think it may be from too strong a spark. Also the valve-train is a little louder than before. I think this may remedy the angry sounding engine that I have at the moment.

Do you have oil pressure?

Do you have oil pressure?

Yes sir I do. Engine was rebuilt, New oil pump installed. Gauge reads on the 2/3's line when cruising. Drops a little at idle. Which is normal right?

Uh ... :D

I'll get some installed shots tomorrow of the dizzy.

Promise :banana:

Nice. Remember, mine has 230k and yours has less than 10k so your pressure should be higher I would think, or I'm screwed :lol:

Dude I doubt this thing has like 1000 miles on it.

Alright here ya'll go...

Pictures.

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

I have a video uploading as I type :D

Note to self, Paint engine head. :doh:

Also if you noticed I had numbers on the distributor cap marked wrong, I messed up when I wrote them. Its fixed now

Last edited:
Watch it here.

YouTube - FJ60 Start-Up and Exhaust

I dunno what happened before starting. Thats the first time it has ever happened. :(

Sorry for that annoying vacuum whistle. I can't find it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom