Can You Help Identify My Lockers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, folks, can you help me identify my locking differentials? I’ve had these manual locking differentials on my 87’ FJ60 since the time I first purchased it about 5 years ago. The previous owner had no details on what type and/or model of locking differentials these were and she did not know if they were added by the original owner who she purchased the 60 from, or if they were OEM. I’ve searched through several posts and I’ve not yet found a similar set up posted anywhere.

So, what are they? Does anyone have similar locking differential on their 60? Is this an OEM or an aftermarket item? Are any of you aware of any links where I can find out more about my differential set up? (I’d like to track down some replacement cables for them if I can locate a source.) Any guidance you all can provide would be much obliged! :cheers:

H.S.M.
P1020162-4.jpg
P1020161-3.JPG
P1020165-5.JPG

OEM cable lockers. Is the rear axle a semi float or a full float? PO must have swapped them in, cause they weren't supposed to have been available in north america. Wonder if CDan can source the cables? If not, you might try contacting one of the businesses that deals with JDM trucks and parts (4wheelauto, G&S Cruisers, ...).

Those OEM Toy lockers are useless, and downright dangerous to have installed. Let me do you the favor of taking them off your hands, for your own safety. I won'r even charge you to ship them to me. I'm nice like that. ;)

Edit: Looks like a knuckle job is in your future as well.

Thanks for the quick posts guys. How the fun begins.:p (Boy, I really look forward to trying to track down OEM replacement cables for OEM lockers that are not supposed to have been imported into North America. Oh joy!!:crybaby:)

At any rate, just a few follow up questions:

RockDoc, what do I need to look for on the rear axle in order to determine whether it’s full-float, or semi-float? (Any links to related pics would be helpful!:grinpimp:)

Wile E., I’ve been in denial for the last year of so regarding the need to rebuild my knuckles. (“Oh, it’s just a little bit of oil seeping out!”:whoops:) However, given the Sierra trip I have planned for this summer, and the fact that parts tend to break for me at the least opportune times, I am most likely going to rebuilt them now that the 60 is “resting” in the shop getting its clutch replaced. (My son’s girlfriend still can’t look me in the face after burning the old clutch to a crisp!:censor: )

H.S.M.

On a semi floater (stock FJ60 in north america) the axle assembly ends flush with the back of the rim. On a full floater, the axle assembly has a hub that sticks through the center of the rim (like photo 2 in this link Rear Axle Semi-Floating and Full-Floating - Off-Road Magazine not to be confused with the press-on cap that the semi floaters came with). I'm not sure, but I would suspect the lockers were designed to work with full floaters (no c-clip) only.

Ah, so that’s why none of the 60 rear axles I’ve checked out have hubs sticking out of their rear wheels like mine!:doh: (I’ve always wondered about that.:hmm: ) So, it looks like I have a full-floater rear axle. Thanks for the info RockDoc!!:cheers:

H.S.M.

Is the rear axle a semi float or a full float?

OEM cable locking differentials will only work in a full-float application...there are not provisions in the carrier for the c-clips which are required to retain the semi-float axle shafts...

:meh:

OEM cable locking differentials will only work in a full-float application...there are not provisions in the carrier for the c-clips which are required to retain the semi-float axle shafts...

:meh:

. I'm not sure, but I would suspect the lockers were designed to work with full floaters (no c-clip) only.

:meh: :p

(Boy, I really look forward to trying to track down OEM replacement cables for OEM lockers that are not supposed to have been imported into North America.

There is a whole lot of folks that would like to have this problem. It will be worth the effort in the end. As far as finding the parts, there are far more land cruisers running around outside the US. than inside

Plenty here in Oz.

I’m going to PM CDan later this morning to see if he has the cables, or if he can track them down stateside. Hendrik, any links to sources in Oz that might stock OEM cables for these lockers? (I’d hate to have to pay those “reasonable :eek:” shipping fees from Australia, but I’d like to have at least one source lined up if I can’t track down the cables through a US supplier.)

H.S.M.

How do those lockers help with the lack of driveshafts?

LOL Eporter!! (I decided to replace my u-joints since I had the Cruiser in the shop anyway.)

Well, I asked CDan about the availability of replacement cables for my lockers. Here is what he had to say:

“The North American Catalog shows cable part numbers 42540-60010 front and 42550-60010 rear for Canadian HJ60 only. They may or may not also work on an FJ60, there is no way for me to confirm it. In any event both part numbers are invalid in the parts master file which means that they are either discontinued or not valid in this market. Due to the age of the vehicle I would bet discontinued.

D- “

(I knew this was not going to be as easy as just PMing CDan and ordering the cables!:bang:) Okay, if anyone out there has any suggestions for sources for the replacement cables, please let ‘em fly!!

H.S.M.

Start by talking to members from OZ. There are plently on board here, including this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom