Idiot's Guide to "Thunks"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '04 LC has some "thunk" issues. These are resolved partially/temporarily when I get the drive shaft lubed, but it comes back and, even after a lube, I get occasional thunks. I'm taking my LC to the dealer for some other work and I'd like to give them a list of things to check to address my thunks.

I have the "common/normal" thunk that happens right when stopping or right when starting out from a light (feels like it's coming from the rear). I also, ocasionally, get a thunk that happens when I've already been stopped for a while--30-60 sec. This one feels like it's coming from the center or front. It kind of feels like the car is shifting into/out of gear, but why would it have a hard shift while stopped?

Since my dealer won't be able to figure out anything more than the lube (and I'm not sure he gets that right), it would great if I could get suggestions of what else I should ask him to look at. Are there any mounts/linkages (sorry, for misusing technical terms) they should look at? Any bolts to torque? Any items to inspect for wear (only have 50k miles)?

I'd appreciate any items to add to the list that starts with:

1) lub spider and slide yoke (per the diagram that people post on every thunk thread).
2) ??

Thanks in advance.

I also, ocasionally, get a thunk that happens when I've already been stopped for a while--30-60 sec. This one feels like it's coming from the center or front. It kind of feels like the car is shifting into/out of gear, but why would it have a hard shift while stopped?

Are there any mounts/linkages (sorry, for misusing technical terms) they should look at? Any bolts to torque? Any items to inspect for wear (only have 50k miles)?

- Diff mounting bolts
- Check and retorque driveshaft bolts. (propeller shaft in Toyota speak)
- Check driveline connections - Where the shafts meet the other parts
- Check fluid levels in the transmission and fluid condition - check for metal chunks on magnet
- Fluid level/condition in T-case.

Might want to try a lube with added moly in the slip yokes if standard grease is not helping as much as you'd like. It's only about $5 for a tube. And lube yourself until new grease comes out of the seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom