Farm Queen -- What's she worth? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I originally picked up this 1971 40 for my old man for his place in South Louisiana. He couldn't use it, so I kept it, but don't use it. I'd call it a driveway queen but it sits in my barn at the farm and collects dust.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought I should ask for it. I'll advertise here and on CL. If a "Mud guy" buys it or refers it, I'll knock $500 off what the advertised price is...

The skinny:

3rd owner, originally a Phoenix 40, zero rust issues that I'm aware of.

Maintenance done by me or Javiers (the gulf coast cruiser authority ;)) in Houston:

• Jim C Carb Rebuild
  • Rebuild Transmission/Transfer Case
  • 3-Speed Floor Conversion
  • Clutch/Pressure Plate/Throwout Bearing/Rear Main Seal
  • MAF Front Disk Brake Conversion w/ Proportioning valve
  • Brake Drums, Shoes, Lines, Wheel Cylinders
  • New Parking Brake
  • Wheelskins cover
  • Warn 8274 with Custom Front Bumper
  • Axle Seals
  • Tie Rod Ends
  • Old Man Emu Leaf Springs, Bushings, Greasable Shackles
  • HFS Shocks
  • (5) BFG KO MT 33x10.50-15 on 15x8 Unique Black Steelies
  • Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Coil, Points
  • New Fuel Lines & Vacuum Lines
  • Fuel Filters
  • Alternator
  • Battery
The PO added in later model seats that are original, but dyed with Mar-hyde. He also added the later year roll bar.

2 tops..One bikini, one bestop tigertop that I don't use but is in good shape.

2 sets of doors..One set of bestop soft, cut in half. One original hard door set that need to be refinished. No rust, just need felts, latches, paint, etc.

The 8274 is around 7 years old, and has NEVER been used to unstick this rig. She's never been off-roaded that I know of, except for my hay meadow.

I have all of the original items that I removed, ie drums, steelies, 3-speed column shift, front bumper, etc.

Bad news:

1. Every time the 40 sits in the barn for a few months without being driven, it needs the fuel changed out, (hence the Jim C carb rebuild). There may be crud in the tank, but I don't know. After it's driven for a while it rides great, but until the fuel is changed, it bucks and sputters.
  2. Slow battery drain at the fuel sending unit, which is toast. It needs to be changed out, but I have a battery cut-out switch on there, so it hasn't bothered me.
Thats about all I can think of. I will not be charging extra for any cattle cubes or hay left in the tub. :cheers:

Thanks guys for all of your comments and suggestions. You've always been a great source of information to me.
IMG_5802 (Medium).jpg
IMG_5804 (Medium).jpg
IMG_5806 (Medium).jpg

More pics..
IMG_5808 (Medium).jpg
IMG_5810 (Medium).jpg
IMG_5812 (Medium).jpg

So how about some close-up pictures of that extruded rear frame/bumper piece that is painted tan.....

Poser,

It sure looks tan in the posted pic, but it's actually an unpainted piece of aluminum channel that the PO bolted on for a rear bumper. I'm not a fan of it, but it never really bothered me either.

I'll take a close-up tomorrow.

Thanks for bringing that up! :beer:

not bad

Body looks straight and undented from this distance, Looks nice but I already have my own 71. Got some nice stuff on it as well---should of got yours instead of buying all the parts:lol:

ill come test drive it, but have no intention of buying it :D

seriously tho id love to come check it out and just look at another cruiser, dont see to many driving around houston.

How much? 500 dollars you say? :)
pretty nice ride.

You guys are killing me! ;)

It is straight, uncut, with no dents, but it HAS been repainted by a shop here in Houston by the PO. He said he gave them the original tan code, but I really don't know.

I guess it is a less than desirable year due to the F engine, no PS, etc. Also, although the PO used original cruiser parts, it IS kind of a morph vehicle, like the seats and roll bar. I've been asked about the hood, too, bc it's a split hood (which I personally think is beautiful), but maybe it wasn't offered on a 71?.. and then it would have been swapped out as well.

I'm just trying to get a fair value to offer it up for sale. I got frustrated about it just sitting in the barn back in 2006 and listed it for ~$10k. While I got A LOT of communication, no one bit...so it is not a ~$10k 40. That's okay with me, but I also don't believe it's a $5k 40.

And, yeah, anyone is welcome to come and check it out...even if they are not buyers. I ran into some cool cat at a local fueling station on Sunday. We prob. chatted for 10 minutes about cruisers. Cruiser folks are good folks.. :cheers:

aweful condition...but ill give you $1000 for it:flipoff2:

In all seriousness thats a very good looking FJ40, put it on Ebay alot of rigs go for high dollar on there. I bet you could get 8k for it maybe more if the right person comes along, good luck.

Thanks for the replies..

Is that not an original hood prop support? Didn't know that.

Coolerman, I have that EXACT same red steel Coleman cooler that you have in your avatar from like 1983 or something. The bottle opener on one side is getting worn out from excess usage of Shiner Bock!!! :clap:

BDS, PM sent.

Thanks for the replies..

Is that not an original hood prop support? Didn't know that.

Coolerman, I have that EXACT same red steel Coleman cooler that you have in your avatar from like 1983 or something. The bottle opener on one side is getting worn out from excess usage of Shiner Bock!!! :clap:

BDS, PM sent.

It may be original, but yours would be the first I have ever seen! ;) Living in the past could tell us...

I had the green version of that cooler but it finally became unusable. Interior cracked and allowed water in which then allowed mildew to grow. Could never get the smell out!

I've been asked about the hood, too, bc it's a split hood (which I personally think is beautiful), but maybe it wasn't offered on a 71?.. and then it would have been swapped out as well.

The one piece hood started later in 71 with the 72 model. So you have the correct hood for your 71. Engine is a F145 which would also be correct.

I would remove that piece of aluminum channel across the back and put on bumperettes if it's still original under it. Put it on Ebay with a reserve you would be willing to sell it for. If it sells it sells. If not put it back into the barn until the economy gets better. I do agree that a uncut rust free cruiser is should be worth more than 5K. You can't buy a full replacement tub for that.

It may be original, but yours would be the first I have ever seen! ;) Living in the past could tell us...

I had the green version of that cooler but it finally became unusable. Interior cracked and allowed water in which then allowed mildew to grow. Could never get the smell out!

That is not a original hood support. There is a cut out in the bib for the rod to fit in.

I do have two of those early green coolers that I still use. One I've had since the early seventies. The other one was my parents and probably from the later seventies. They still make this right:confused:

That is not a later rollbar either. Probably something custom made with a thicker wall tubing. The original rollbar wouldn't fit over the long jump seats. While I use the stock rollbars they really only good for a anchor point for the three point seat belts not a roll over.

You guys are impressive w/ your knowledge!

Living in the Past, you aren't a school teacher are you? I have the original purchase loan documentation from when the 40 was first bought in Phoenix by a school teacher. That person must have really loved this thing bc he owned it till 1999. I'd imagine after 28 years, something becomes part of the family..

That is not a original hood support. There is a cut out in the bib for the rod to fit in.

Split hoods have the support rod in the center of the hood.

You have a bib with a hole in it for the hood support rod to fit into?

Please post up a picture.

One-piece hoods have the support rod on the left side of the hood, and there is a hole for the support rod to seat into on the left fender apron...

:meh:

I know that the support rod is in the center, but I'm unsure of any other holes which may be in the bib....will post a pic this evening..

Split hoods have the support rod in the center of the hood.

You have a bib with a hole in it for the hood support rod to fit into?

Please post up a picture.

One-piece hoods have the support rod on the left side of the hood, and there is a hole for the support rod to seat into on the left fender apron...

:meh:

I've got nine or ten two piece hoods. I know where the support rod is between the two styles. My 68 has a hole in the top of the bib not the apron. Its towards the driver's side. Not in the center. I don't use it because it doesn't lift the hood high enough. I rest the hood across the top like most people. I can't ever see Toyota designing any support rest that would put weight on the thermostat housing. I have a few early bibs in town not my 68. One is on my 65 FJ45 the other is on a 63. Not sure the year of that one. I also should have a 71 bib up north where my 68. I we see what pictures I can come up with.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom