My gen2 4rnr gets Volvo portals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
pirate4x4.no
https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyo...d-91-runner-39-5s-should-have-got-42s-10.html

I have gotten the portals, with the desirable 5,99 ratio. The truck is still at the painters, so I wont start installing them until I get it back.

Also, it is snowing outside... so I wont start prepping them either... :mad:

I guess it makes my truck worthy of the hardcore corner???? :cheers:

I am installing them sua... In the beginning I plan to use the stock drums, but either do a Wilwood disc brake swap or swap to my toyota disc brakes. It is a common mod over here, and not considered difficult.

Maybe I will link them in the future...

Feel free to post some input.. :popcorn:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyo...d-91-runner-39-5s-should-have-got-42s-10.html

I have gotten the portals, with the desirable 5,99 ratio. The truck is still at the painters, so I wont start installing them until I get it back.

Also, it is snowing outside... so I wont start prepping them either... :mad:

I guess it makes my truck worthy of the hardcore corner???? :cheers:

I am installing them sua... In the beginning I plan to use the stock drums, but either do a Wilwood disc brake swap or swap to my toyota disc brakes. It is a common mod over here, and not considered difficult.

Maybe I will link them in the future...

Feel free to post some input.. :popcorn:

I think your truck is worthy for sure !!!!!!

Must be nice to be in an area where the Volvo portals are a "common mod" ........must be nice. If you get some spare portal axles, how about working out a deal for us.....??!!

Post some pictures for us as you go. It will be interesting to see how Ya'll do it over there. !!!

Good luck, and thanks for sharing

I think your truck is worthy for sure !!!!!!

Must be nice to be in an area where the Volvo portals are a "common mod" ........must be nice. If you get some spare portal axles, how about working out a deal for us.....??!!

Post some pictures for us as you go. It will be interesting to see how Ya'll do it over there. !!!

Good luck, and thanks for sharing

Thanks! :beer:

He he, portals are not a common mod...but swapping to disc brakes on them are common. There are only one competition Toyota in Norway with these, most vehicles with portals are either stockers or competition buggys. But in Finland I have seen more of them...

There are quite often portals for sale over here, so if you need some I will be able to help you out. PM me if interested:cheers: I know of at least one set at the moment, and the volvo c303/304/306 are easy to get hold of. So if you pay enough, there is no problem parting a truck for you. Spare parts are also easy to get nowadays... and not expensive either.

Not to mention all you save on not having to upgrade the rest of the drivetrain due to the portal boxes reducing the strain on it with 50%...

I will post pictures as soon as I have something to share, hopefully I will start with cleaning up the axles next week. :cheers:

earlier edition of the truck for the lazy...
attachment.php

that's awesome man you are definitely worthy!....and you should at least link up the rear while your at it

Thanks! :beer:

He he, portals are not a common mod...but swapping to disc brakes on them are common. There are only one competition Toyota in Norway with these, most vehicles with portals are either stockers or competition buggys. But in Finland I have seen more of them...

There are quite often portals for sale over here, so if you need some I will be able to help you out. PM me if interested:cheers: I know of at least one set at the moment, and the volvo c303/304/306 are easy to get hold of. So if you pay enough, there is no problem parting a truck for you. Spare parts are also easy to get nowadays... and not expensive either.

Not to mention all you save on not having to upgrade the rest of the drivetrain due to the portal boxes reducing the strain on it with 50%...

I will post pictures as soon as I have something to share, hopefully I will start with cleaning up the axles next week. :cheers:

I love the portal axle idea........just wish I had the $$$$ to fund a project like that.
Someday when I get some the current projects and issues straight, I will contact you for some portals !!

Thanks. Good luck on your portal project. I can't wait to see the pictures.......so take a bunch.....Thanks x 2.:beer:

that's awesome man you are definitely worthy!....and you should at least link up the rear while your at it

I will link front and rear when the time comes, I will test the leaf suspension first. It is also a time element, this years summer season is here soon and I need it to be working. ;)

If i remember, he went from links to leafs' for some reason...

Yes, I did it because I didn't get a balanced suspension and were n`t happy with it. It was much easier and cheaper to install leafs than throw any more money into the stock links and get custom coils. But I haven`t wheeled it much since then, but it feels much better.

I love the portal axle idea........just wish I had the $$$$ to fund a project like that.
Someday when I get some the current projects and issues straight, I will contact you for some portals !!

Thanks. Good luck on your portal project. I can't wait to see the pictures.......so take a bunch.....Thanks x 2.:beer:

Actually I have much more money into my toyota axles than I payed for my set of portals! And parting them out will fund my new axles completely even though I keep my brake parts and put them on my portals.

I will take lots of pix as soon as I get started, I hope my truck is finished with a new paint next weekend and that I will get it back a few days after that.

Now it seems like the winter is leaving us, and I will start to prep the axles next week.

Nice to know you like the project! :cheers:

It looks like my axles are gonna get an early birthday present...

Wilwood disc brake kit. I will decide tomorrow when I get the final quote, but I think it might be worth it! :p

Nice BD present.

Are those your portals, or just a picture of someone elses to illustrate the brakes ????? Nice looking setup.
I like the 1963/4?? Ford Galaxie in the background.
Now I know where all our good American iron is hiding

BTW, my birthday is coming up soon too.............

Seriously, those Wilwood brakes look sweet.
Are they a kit for the Volvo portals or do you have to fab up backing plates , etc?

Where do you get the smaller bolt pattern/hubs for the Portals.?
The few that I have seen pics of show some big humongus primate bolt pattern with 8-10 studs.

Hope you can get the Wilwoods. There is nothing like being able to stop when you need to. Weak brakes suck.

Nice BD present.

Are those your portals, or just a picture of someone elses to illustrate the brakes ????? Nice looking setup.
I like the 1963/4?? Ford Galaxie in the background.
Now I know where all our good American iron is hiding

BTW, my birthday is coming up soon too.............

Seriously, those Wilwood brakes look sweet.
Are they a kit for the Volvo portals or do you have to fab up backing plates , etc?

Where do you get the smaller bolt pattern/hubs for the Portals.?
The few that I have seen pics of show some big humongus primate bolt pattern with 8-10 studs.

Hope you can get the Wilwoods. There is nothing like being able to stop when you need to. Weak brakes suck.

No, they are not my portals... Just an illustration of the brakes, and I ordered them today. Got a good price on them! :p The picture is off the website to the shop who makes the kit.

I dont have to fab up anything, they have finished hubs which are machined down to fit the discs and with the 6-bolt pattern. So I just ship my old hubs to them, and the rest is bolt on. :p

I hope to get it after next weekend. :cheers: I will post pix of the kit, both part by part and during installation.

attachment.php

got my new steelies blasted and painted, 17x9 pro comps with diy beadlocks...

Look nice on the pallate. Bet they will look even better on the 4 Runner.
Glad you got the Wilwoods too !!!!!!:clap:

Look nice on the pallate. Bet they will look even better on the 4 Runner.
Glad you got the Wilwoods too !!!!!!:clap:

Thanks, I know they will... but the damn tires are still stateside... Don`t know when I will get them... 6-7 weeks maybe... And they should have been here a month ago... (LTB 40x16/17)

Got tires ?????

I am getting impatient..........

Got tires ?????

I am getting impatient..........

I got a set of 38,5tsl sx today, but my LTBs are still in the us:mad:

Broke my right index finger on Monday, got a monster casket on and cant do much... Will try to get something done this weekend, the 4rnr i supposed to be painted Saturday. Will post pictures! ;)

I got a set of 38,5tsl sx today, but my LTBs are still in the us:mad:

Broke my right index finger on Monday, got a monster casket on and cant do much... Will try to get something done this weekend, the 4rnr i supposed to be painted Saturday. Will post pictures! ;)

Jesus, a broken finger ??? Too bad it wasn't this finger:flipoff2:, you could go around like that all day and get away with it !!!!!!That must hurt. Hope it was just a "simple fracture" and not one they had to do surgery on, like pinning or plating it . OMG

I can empathize with you, I am just getting over some broken toes on my right foot. I was out of work for 2 weeks and limped aroung on it for the next month. SUX BAD.
Limping so much made my knees hurt and I had calf muscle spasms and shin splints during the day and also at night. That is fun to wake up to. It is hard to put a cast on a toe, and taping it just made them hurt more..........

At least you don't have to walk on your finger.
Hope you are ambidexterous (sp) and heal quickly.
You need to heal up in time to open the boxes that the tires are being shipped in........

Good luck with the finger:flipoff2:

Have a :beer: with your left hand.

Alcohol soaks "from the inside" are known to aid in the healing process. !!!!!!!!!!:hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom