Side to Side 'THUNK' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
Headed back up Montezuma Grade (twisty two lane climb) out of Borrego Springs Sunday morning after a great weekend of wheeling with GON2SRF and RFJTOY and I was getting an uncomfortable sounding thunk leaning into the curves. It was like something shifting side to side as I leaned the truck into the sharper curves.

Did a quick visual inspection when I got home and didn't see anything hanging down or bolts missing. I realize this isn't much of a description.

Any specific areas I should inspect closer when I've got the time? Headed out with the scout troop next weekend with 2 ton trailer in tow and won't go if this could be anything serious. I'll put her up on jack stands to see if there's any play in the wheels at all. It's been several thousand miles since I did the birfs and no issues so far.

That's about all I can think of. Don't want to go into a stealer. I'd take her down to SDTRux first a they've got a great rep. It's over an hour to get there tho.

Panhard bar....... our aftermarket one developed some slack & it gave us horizontal thump when cornering.

After you've checked the bearings, I'd check the front swaybar-to-axle mounts, the shock mount bushings, the panhard bushings, and all control arm bolts (torque). HTH!

Grab your torque wrench and check your nutz!:hillbilly:

My first focus would be panhard bolts and sway bar bushings, bolts. Before big trips I always check torque on all links, knuckle, etc, fasteners.

Thanks for the fast responses - will grab the FSM, take my 1/2 :banana::wrench: skills to figure out what's really what and get the correct torque settings tonight!

Found Landtank's write up on front axle evaluation in our most excellent FAQ Maintenance section to use as a guide.

Last edited:
Do not delay on this! It could be an issue where you are causing more damage quickly...

Thanks - appreciate that. Fortunately the cruiser is not my daily driver any more. She's a weekend beauty queen (currently covered in Anza desert dust!) now!

CDAN would be proud of the fact that I didn't rush home and wash her! IIRC anything washed off within one week of a trip doesn't count according to the Shaman! :cheers:

IIRC anything washed off within one week of a trip doesn't count according to the Shaman! :cheers:

The Shaman is pretty darn smart! But hiding it in the garage also doesn't count, you have to show it off!:hillbilly:

She doesn't fit in the garage anymore! Best marker I've got giving directions to my house is that gorgeous white landcruiser in the driveway! Of course, right now, she's more beige than white!

Check the upper shock mounts. You can see the nuts that secure the shock from under the bonnet. I see you have OME shocks so this probably isn't an issue but my original shocks had lost a rubber bushing when I bought the truck and there was a clunk like you described.

If you have replaced the panhard bar (doubtful with a 3" OME) then check those bolts and the bushings. If you cannot identify the clunk and you still have it on Friday then don't take your truck on the outing. Good to hear you're still active with the troop!

-B-

Thanks B - will check the shock mounts also - they've been there since before the birf job.

Still active, but don't know for how much longer. Stepping back some from the weekly meetings and just doing the trip planning/organization and doing the weekend trips. Been at it solid w/o a break for over 8 years now at the troop level. If our district weren't such a fuster cluck, I'd consider being a commissioner, but I'm not going there.

This is really sounding like something has loosened up in the PS.

hijack: Brent, have you ever done one of the Northern Tier canoe trips in Minnesota, Ontario or Manitoba? I spent a couple summers leading those trips and it was a great experience for me and for the troops that came up from across the US. Definitely recommended! (come to the Canadian bases though, we do the best trips :D)
/hijack

IIRC, the swaybar mount that tends to break off the axle housing, sometimes severing the front brake line, is usually the passenger side mount. Make sure you take a good look at these.

RE: Hijack - no I haven't and given the distance from CA to MN, probably won't in my lifetime.

On topic, stomach is churning at the thought of opening up the birfs. I was glad as hell I did it ONCE and never, never wanted to do even part of it again!

IIRC, my swaybar does not sit as flush to the mounts as Landtank's pics.

I don't know what you are talking about... I've been into my axles 7 times in the last 2 years... :doh:

:eek: No thanks! Then again, I'm running 33's and you are on 37's based on your sig line. More stress on everything I'd think?

On the other hand, it'll be a great excuse NOT to go to the district camporee this weekend with the district asshats.

IIRC, the swaybar mount that tends to break off the axle housing, sometimes severing the front brake line, is usually the passenger side mount. Make sure you take a good look at these.

This was the culprit of my thunk.

Well, did a quick and dirty inspection with front on jack stands. Nothing readily apparent, so will just take the torque wrench to things Saturday. As Boyd well knows, I have very little confidence in opening up the birfs myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom