Truck misses a little bit what do you think? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck was missing a little bit on acceleration at low Rpms in all gears so I replaced the spark plugs that were about 3 yrs old. Seemed to be a little better but not really much better. The dist cap looks decent and the wires are about 3 yrs old but have prob less than 5k on them. The carb was rebuilt about a year and half ago. Any ideas what I should check next?

Truck was missing a little bit on acceleration at low Rpms in all gears so I replaced the spark plugs that were about 3 yrs old. Seemed to be a little better but not really much better. The dist cap looks decent and the wires are about 3 yrs old but have prob less than 5k on them. The carb was rebuilt about a year and half ago. Any ideas what I should check next?

I would say the wires. It's been my experience that wires can go bad fairly easily especially around the boots.

Which truck is this??

This is the 40.
I havent checked the timing, how do you do that? I have felt like for some time now the carb needed some tweaking since it got rebuilt. It feels like the idle is higher than it should be.

I'll pick up some wires this weekend and see if that does the trick too, and repost.

By the way Greg, I have this wheel that I got from Andy a month or so ago. How much do you want me to send you for it?

have you made any adjustments to the idle set screw? Timing will forst require that you have a timing light, if you don't have one I think autozone will loan one out. Then search on how to check the timing.

Just a thought...I sent my carb to JimC for a rebuild the other day and when he got it and looked it over comes to find out that it was pieced back together with the wrong parts (it was a new rebuilt carb from SOR purchased by the PO). One part being the plunger which he stated would cause a stuble at low rpms while accelerating...which the truck was doing.

Don't know who rebuilt your carb but just an idea...

because he has mentioned a carb I would say it is the older one. also check the idle control valve on the carb. Also have you checked the timing?

Doh I forgot he had a 62 and not a 60 :doh:

When I try to accelerate and remember I have the a440 transmission I wish I had a 60. h55 for that thing has got to be an upgrade I do at some point if I have it for a while.

Greg thanks for the pointers. I willl try those options, and if they dont work, maybe I will figure out how to have a group session at my house.

Changed all the wires, plugs, put in some carb cleaner(fuel treatment) in the gas tank and adjusted the idle a bit, and truck still seems to miss at low RPMS especially in 3rd and 4th. Any ideas? I am gonna be ill if its the carb again.

Take some pics of the carb (including the plunger), send to JimC, call him ask him to look at the pics you emailed (he is very busy and will take forever to respond to your email so call him) and he will be able to tell you if it's the correct plunger for your specific carb. If that's not the problem then he has always been willing to help me with ideas/areas to troubleshoot.

My truck didn't stumble when I first got it and then started to the more I drove it. My carb is currently being rebuilt the right way by JimC. Not cheap but 100% fool proof.

Just my 2 cents...

Check for intake leak, or vacuum leak in general. At idle, spray carb cleaner around the intake where it meets the block / the base of the carb/ around all vacuum hoses. If the RPMs increase, note where you were spraying and figure out what is leaking. Then fix the leak :)

:beer: R

Second what Ramon said but also,

Hate to mention this but check your full filter also.

i'll give it a shot this weekend and update. Thanks.

Carb was rebuilt by Cruiser Solutions up in Connecticut. Seemed like they knew what they were doing but I guess you never know. I will take some shots

Def planning on making the meeting. If its not raining I will bring the 40. Its missing a bunch of random stuff since I just got it back on the road but its road worthy and safe.
Look forward to meeting you guys in person.

--Josh

You get it fixed? I just bought a compression tester, dont ask why. Swing by and we can check that in about 10 minutes. How many miles are on the engine?

not fixed yet. what are you up to this weekend? I was going to swing by Toyota Techs maybe friday to have them just take a quick look too. Engines either got 90k or 190k who knows. Runs fine except the damn missing. I worked a little more on it yesterday still nothing.

not fixed yet. what are you up to this weekend? I was going to swing by Toyota Techs maybe friday to have them just take a quick look too. Engines either got 90k or 190k who knows. Runs fine except the damn missing. I worked a little more on it yesterday still nothing.

Going to Uwharrie Sat. And 2 mothers day deals to do on Sunday. I will be out in the garage from 5-untill tonight and tomorrow night, though.

I think the problem is solved. Rick at Ralph Hayes sent me a new Dist cap, a new fuel filter and a new rotor. I installed those with some new wires and cleaned the carb even though it really wasnt dirty at all. Drove it around for a little bit and it was much better.
Upon further review the old cap looked to have a hairline crack in it and the rotor looks like its seen a better day.

Now I think I am ready to drive the 40 up to URE saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom