Shackle extention- how high is still safe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I fitted 5.375" shackles front and rear over the weekend . My first thoughts were that the front is now too high but later decided that it looks good .
Today I went down to the Wheel alignment center to get the shims fitted and correct the castor . What they told me is that my nose is too high and it is unsafe to drive like that .

The front lifted by 40mm and the rear by 20 mm

Any comments ? ( I am thinking of going down to 4.375" in front and leaving the rear 5.375" )

Before
img_3638.jpg

After
img_3651.jpg

Before - Front ( rear measured 92,5mm )
img_3639.jpg

After - front ( rear measured 94,3mm )

img_3646.jpg

After ( front and rear fitted )
img_3649.jpg

There is no rule to what height is "safe" D'animal hit the nail on the head with does it still handle well?

Another question :
Measuring from floorlevel to wheelarch - what is the perfect setup .
Should rear be higher ? Should they be about the same ? Can the front be higher ?

Another question :
Measuring from floorlevel to wheelarch - what is the perfect setup .
Should rear be higher ? Should they be about the same ? Can the front be higher ?

There is no such thing as perfect, only what is perfect for you..

You will notice more sway because you are taller. Are the sway bar hooked up?

Were the tri shackles that were on before the same pin to pin measurement,this does not make sense if the before were a matched set and it sat level then it should sit level with the new ones.
Maybe it will settle after time.

Thanks Mace & DA
Yep swaybar still connected . I will get the castor corrected and see .

Dieseler
The shackles were 80mm in front and 90 mm in rear . I went to 140 mm front and rear . The rear lifted by 20mm and the front by 40mm

Our setups look about the same, mine is wobbly at speeds as well, don't feel it's unsafe just keeps you on your toes.

I had the MAF/4+ 6.375 hole to hole front and back for a while w/o any issues. Still have them in back but went to shackle reversal in front which I like a lot better. The 6.375 were fine, no problem but they concerned me on the trail simply because they hung down far.

mine is wobbly at speeds as well, don't feel it's unsafe just keeps you on your toes.

This is also the same for me, a little sway and wobble, but it keeps you n your toes and more attentive.

I had the MAF/4+ 6.375 hole to hole front and back for a while w/o any issues. Still have them in back but went to shackle reversal in front which I like a lot better. The 6.375 were fine, no problem but they concerned me on the trail simply because they hung down far.

I have the 5.5in Marlin Crawler Shackle plates and yeah they have a little sway and wobble to them, no sway bars, and yes, they are definitely Rock catchers, I that that should be your only problem, but its odd that there is a 20mm difference between height raised in front and rear even thought the old plates only had a 10mm difference...

If you don't have the right shims your caster will be off giving you a bit of excitement.

The height will level out, give it some miles.

InsanityIsBorn

I have been thinking about that as well - why the rear did not go up that much . Only explanation I have is that I have RideRite air springs in the rear that may have given more lift and was thus not affected by the shackle .

150mm shackles (all round) were already on the truck when I bought it - it drove so well that IT IS the reason why I bought it.

Still drives like a dream on and off-road.

Do you have a rear sway bar in that rig. If not, it would greatly help.
Cheers,..........<')))><

It is a caster issue more than anything.

Get that fixed, and your cruiser will track straight ahead..

I removed the 140mm shackles from the front and refitted the old 90 mm shackles that used to be in the rear in the front .
Car is not drifting any more when driving and less sway . The lift in the front is only 10mm now .
I left the extended shackle in the rear .

I deflated all the airbags and then took a picture - take into consideration that there are two full jerrycans , a 60l watertank , a 60kg RTT , fridge and drawersystem fitted . ( and those are 33" tyres )
img_3655.jpg

I agree Mace - it is a castor issue .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom