Help: Welding Dana 60 C (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I have just cut down the C off my Dana 60 Long side. and install the C back onto the tube. Im in the pros of welding it soon? How would you go on for it. Preheat, MIG, Let it cool down slow? I was thinking of pre heating it with 2 propane t. and welding it. Just dont know if i should weld it one full pass or spots and and putting the propane on it and let it cool down slow?

Any tips. I have a stick But never really use it. Dont know how strong that welded is !

no need to preheat. What weldr ?

With a 220 just burn in but tack in 4 spots to hold it. with a 110 you need to make 2 trips around and you will prolly have to stop and let weldr rest every 1.5" or so.

With a 220 just burn in but tack in 4 spots to hold it. with a 110 you need to make 2 trips around and you will prolly have to stop and let weldr rest every 1.5" or so.

What you talking about Whilis................

We have had iffy luck with penitration into the cast, so in our case we preheated the cast prior to welding as peesalot mentioned lots of tack welds to keep it in position.

Cooling it slowly does help tho, we throw it into a bucket of sand and cover.

Rob

Eric,

I would highly recommend AGAINST using a 110v welder on a Dana 60 C to 1/2 thick tubing. I go as far and say it can't be done if you're concerned about the strength of your weld.

He is using a legendary Millermatic 200. IMHO, one of best single phase wire feeders Miller has ever made.

I'd make at least 8 tacks. 4 on each side of the C. I'd preheat the C with O/A rosebud torch and use
the high tap settting #3. Plan on making 2 passes on it. One to fill the gap, and one cover pass.

Bucket of sand is a good idea.

I believe the C's on the Dana 60 are forged steel so you should be good to weld on it.

what about a dana 60 inner c to a toyota housing ? seemed to have worked for someone I know.

what about a dana 60 inner c to a toyota housing ? seemed to have worked for someone I know.

I still would not use a 110v welder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom