My 100 now has a green side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
The following post will prove I have too much time on my hands.

My RTT is a huge air dam that cost me almost 2MPG when mounted. I’ve been thinking about a wind deflector to help with problem. I also have an issue with the ability to run my 60qt frig on one battery without starting the LC during the day. So after many wasted hours pondering the issues I have come up with a solution to help with both issues and be green about. I purchased a Siemens/Shell 55 watt solar panel(13"x50") to be used as an air deflector when I have my RTT mounted and to be mounted flat when the RTT is not in use (95% of the time).

I mounted the panel to my heavy duty do anything factory roof rack that also supports my RTT. This rack has been proven by loading the factory rated 150# rack with in excess of 450# with no problems.:hillbilly:

Any panel over ~20watts should have a charge controller. I have wired in a 7va rated charger controller that shuts off the panel when the battery is fully charged and pulse regulate the voltage to keep the battery fully charged without over charging. Because of the low amperage, solar is one of the safest way to avoid cooking your battery when combined with a controller. Both the controller and the panel is equipped with diodes to keep the power going one way and avoiding any possibility of discharging the battery when the panel is not producing power.

The testing I have done shows that I should be able to keep my frig cold and my battery charged without ever starting my LC given the panel is exposed to sun during the day. With my Scan Gauge I get a digital read out of the battery voltage without needing the key.

It would have been just as easy to go with a dual battery setup for the frig. Even with 2 batteries I would need to start the LC to recharge the batteries. I hope to end up with a cold frig, available air deflector, and save a little energy.
100solarfront.JPG
100solarside.JPG
100solardetail.JPG

This thread confuses me, thought it doesn't take much...

What bumper is that? TJM stripped down?

Cool beans Dude. Nice idea using the panel as a deflector. Do you something to protect the panel from pebbles and such if you are following someone on the highway or trail?

on the trail... AHAAAHAAAHAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAAAA! :D :D :D

-Spike

Cool beans Dude. Nice idea using the panel as a deflector. Do you something to protect the panel from pebbles and such if you are following someone on the highway or trail?

I drive a 100...Im usually in front:flipoff2: and yes, on the trail Im way behind but nobody pisses on my tent:popcorn:

on the trail... AHAAAHAAAHAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAAAA! :D :D :D

-Spike

I have been secretly working on the offroad mod in some dangerous locations - gearing up so to speak.

Check this flex out and thats without the Shotts N74 shock mod....think of the possibilies with it:popcorn:
Danger.JPG
100flex.JPG

I've never seen that sign before...awesome.

Phil, are you stalking your own thread? :D

-Spike

So ~4amps, how does that compare with the frig draw? Did you make a mount for it on the pop-up? The downside is the rig has to be parked in the sun, can be a bummer here.

The downside is the rig has to be parked in the sun, can be a bummer here.

A little quick-release bracketry and an extension cord might be worth considering.

-Spike

So ~4amps, how does that compare with the frig draw? Did you make a mount for it on the pop-up? The downside is the rig has to be parked in the sun, can be a bummer here.

3.2a max
The biggest need for frig power so far has been when we are down in Mexico and they dont have shade.

A little quick-release bracketry and an extension cord might be worth considering.

-Spike

:idea:New and improved mounting is in the works. The panel will be flat 95% of the time so there is were I started.

-Spike

That was my thought, when the rig is in the AZ sun we know what happens to interior temp, that causes the fridge to run more, but the panel will work, so overcoming the loss? Making the panel portable would be best for efficiency, but opens the possibility of easier theft? It all gets too complicated.:hillbilly:

That was my thought, when the rig is in the AZ sun we know what happens to interior temp, that causes the fridge to run more, but the panel will work, so overcoming the loss? Making the panel portable would be best for efficiency, but opens the possibility of easier theft? It all gets too complicated.:hillbilly:

Whatever

Have the solar panel roll out and cover the front wind shield while you are parked. That way you shade the largest window, have the solar panel at an angle and charge your battery all at the same time.

Have the solar panel roll out and cover the front wind shield while you are parked. That way you shade the largest window, have the solar panel at an angle and charge your battery all at the same time.
:idea: You might just have somthin there....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom