Noob questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been drafted to due some upgrades to my wifes bosses two FJ40's. I've been a Ford tech and Bronco guy for over 20 years but I've always liked Cruisers and my first 4x4 was a 79' Toyota pick up. Both of these Fj's were built by a Cruiser company in Arizona but are still lacking a few things. The built up rig has 35" tires on it and it the first project. The e-brk has been gutted so it's inop. We are wanting better brakes for it so is there a upgrade disc brake that has a intergrated rear disc? I searched and saw the options for rear disc but none of them have e-brks. If there isn't a upgrade I'm guessing I need to rebuild the stock e-brk but all of the parts are missing. The rig also has manual brakes, just put a tock booster on and call it good. TIA

Last edited:
Convert it to the rear drum e-brake or order parts for the OEM from SOR or CCOTs

Probably cheapest to replace the OE parking brake parts, but if you choose a rear disc brake conversion, not only can you use rear calipers with built-in parking brake, but we now have BRAND NEW calipers at the old USED price. Why is NEW better than REBUILT you ask??? These calipers have built-in ratchets that keep the pads adjusted up to the rotors (as pads wear), and the condition of the ratchets is even more important when using parking brake calipers so that the "grab" on each side is even/equal. Remanufacturer's will not replace worn out ratchets because they cost $100 each, they'll simply throw the caliper core away. Now the problem is; where did they draw the line, what percentage of "worn" is acceptable, and on the set of rebuilts you receive, what's the percentage of "worn" from one side to the other? This problem plagued us for years, customers complained of one side holding, and not the other. We didn't know why until the remanufacturer finally leveled with us. Our supplier finally had brand new calipers made off shore, they sell for the same price as rebuilts, and they have BRAND NEW Ratchets in them---home run!!!

Good to know about the calipers, I've used the Eldorado style calipers an quite a few Ford 9" disc brake conversions and have never been real happy with them for the reasons listed. I had ruled out your kit until I read this post. I bought lots of your companys parts for my 79' mini back in the early 80's:D

drum brake

you can get all the parts from SOR or CDAN at American Toyota who is an advertised vendor here on MUD

The drum parking brake restore is an easy job and not expensive
$82 for the drum brake pad replacement kit with the retaining pins and you would have to order a few other parts

I am thinking you could get all the pieces you are missing cheap here on mud and then just buy the kit for the pad replacement

See those little clips? Ordering an extra one is not a bad idea---if it goes pinging away on ya

Specter Off-Road Land Cruiser Parts - Page 076 Parking Brake Assembly

If I were doing discs anyway I think I would look into this though
"but if you choose a rear disc brake conversion, not only can you use rear calipers with built-in parking brake, but we now have BRAND NEW calipers at the old USED price"
076A1.gif
076-100A-big.jpg

Last edited:
In the above photo of the engine bay does this look like a 75' I'm a little confused beacuse it's titled as a 75' has disc brakes up front but it dosen't have a booster:confused: Both the cruisers are at a shop a few miles from here so I can't look to compare but would a 75' have that rib by the brake master cyl? TIA

75 did not have disc brakes. 76 was the first year. it could of had a axle upgrade at some point tho. i have a 76 axle on my 75

08/75 had disc.

Just sayin....

:meh:

So how about the firewall brace does it look like a 75' I'm putting a booster on it and need to know if a stock FJ40 booster will fit:bang:

So how about the firewall brace does it look like a 75' I'm putting a booster on it and need to know if a stock FJ40 booster will fit:bang:

Firewall looks to be 06/70 and earlier...which did not have a brake booster and was a single reservoir master cylinder and brake circuit configuration. A stock Toyota vacuum booster will not simply 'bolt up' to that firewall; you will need to make or purchase an adapter, or figure out another booster/master combo.

Perhaps something used by the street rod/car world could be made to work, as they have multiple diameter vacuum booster assemblies available that have brackets with them that attach to the firewall of the car, and possibly could work for this application.

:meh:

I'm planning on using a Man A Free set up on the 65' I guess I'll plan on using it on the 75' also. I'll get some more pic's this weekend. There's some real nice fab work I'm going to have to redo on the 75' it has a spring over that wasn't done very well :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom