Need some tech help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So here is the situation.. 2001 LX

I had a master toyota tech install new CV's, rotors, pads, and repack bearings and install new seals.

Picked the truck up, everything has been fine until yesterday night. I was pulling up to a stoplight, lightly applying the brakes, and heard a "clunk." Now I'm getting some "groaning" noise from what seems to be the pulsing front the right front hub. It comes and goes, almost sounds like something is rubbing? It only happens at low speeds, when coming to a stop. Anyways, I'm going to take the wheels off when I get home tonight to inspect, anyone had a similar experience?

Hmmm....

No experience with a Cruiser with this... but I did with a Honda. What happened was the new CV joint was not pressed in quite far enough which allowed it to come out far enough it had problems engaging the splines on the half shaft. :doh: In my case I simply jacked it up and gave it a good square kick, but that car was an $800 car (on a good day).

My recommendation is to take it back to the tech that installed it. Whether a bad install or the parts were defective it should be able to be made right.

Best of luck.

Don't even mess with it yourself. The dealer might make some excuse that you damaged it when removing the wheel.

I would go back to the dealer ASAP.

Did you all know there are 6 different thicknesses of "C"-clips for the end of the CV? Does any one know how to determine which one to use? I would guess you adjust the end play as to set so many thousands with a dial indicator?

Did you all know there are 6 different thicknesses of "C"-clips for the end of the CV? Does any one know how to determine which one to use? I would guess you adjust the end play as to set so many thousands with a dial indicator?

per FSM

Pull out the drive shaft to the outside of the vehicle and
select the snap ring which ensures the clearance between
the tip of the flange and the snap ring is less than
0.2 mm (0.008 in.).

I changed out driver side front CV over the weekend, it is not as complicated as one would think. Much easer than removing and repacking a birfield. You need one special tool (SST). I used a OTC 7311A pitman arm puller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom