New to me FJ80! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a lot of shopping I finally bought one. 1991 FJ80 with 191k, excellent inside and out. Lots of records including the original window sticker and sales brochure. Power windows, mirrors, cruise, CD, moonroof, A/C, 3rd row, and it all works well. Sure it's slow, but I have a 370 HP Jaguar XJR for when I want to go fast.:p

Recent tune-up with cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel and air filter. Also new radiator and tires, too bad they're 235/75. Top of my DIY list is checking the birfs to see how long I can put off a rebuild, fluid baseline, fixing a PS leak, adjusting the transmission kickdown, and replacing a clunky u-joint. It also has a direct drive fan installed with no shroud, I want to go back to the OEM fan with clutch and shroud. I'm sure I'll find some new stuff along the way, and I need to study the FAQ to figure out some new ways to spend money.:D
ext.jpg
int.jpg

Congrats on a very clean FJ! Enjoy...

Matt-

She is a beauty!

Have fun! You will need CDan's number at American Toyota (great MUD discount) 1-800-432-6668 ext. 8,

read throught the FAQ and make a list of PM items and get that 80 up to speed.

Nice truck--nice color combo!

Clunky u-joint is a clunky birf. Depending on the severity, you may not want to put off that birf job too, too long.

Nice truck--nice color combo!

Clunky u-joint is a clunky birf. Depending on the severity, you may not want to put off that birf job too, too long.

I thought the birfs usually clicked? The clunk feels like a u-joint, at least related to past experience. Most noticable at power on/off, shifting in/out of gear, and downshifts. I also don't feel it in the wheel, which I would expect if it were the birfs.

I dig the color more in person than I did in pictures. It's old school but a good fit for a Land Cruiser. It desperately needs the windows tinted though, at 70 deg yesterday it was like sitting in a f-ing greenhouse.:p Thank God the A/C blows cold.

Congratulations - that looks great..

Your clunky u-joint may be rectified by taking the rear prop shaft apart and applying more grease. I had the same problem with mine and was advised to do this and it worked.

You could try greasing through the zerk and see if this works but make sure you don't pump in too much otherwise you create hydraulic pressure - to avoid this problem, pump up with grease then remove the zerk, bounce up and down, wipe away what comes out and screw in the zerk.

Best option is just to take off the prop and grease by hand - much quicker, cleaner and cheaper than the birf job.

I thought the birfs usually clicked? The clunk feels like a u-joint, at least related to past experience. Most noticable at power on/off, shifting in/out of gear, and downshifts. I also don't feel it in the wheel, which I would expect if it were the birfs.

I dig the color more in person than I did in pictures. It's old school but a good fit for a Land Cruiser. It desperately needs the windows tinted though, at 70 deg yesterday it was like sitting in a f-ing greenhouse.:p Thank God the A/C blows cold.

You're right. I wasn't thinking--needed more coffee. :bang: U-joint in a driveshaft somewhere, you mean. For some reason I had CV joint in my head. :whoops:

Nice!! Congrats from a fellow FJ80 owner. :)

You're right. I wasn't thinking--needed more coffee. :bang: U-joint in a driveshaft somewhere, you mean. For some reason I had CV joint in my head. :whoops:

No worries. I try not to do anything in the morning without having a cup of coffee first.:D

Nice!! Congrats from a fellow FJ80 owner. :)

Another Wichita owner to boot!

Screw the cruiser. I want pics of the jag.

Looks like some sweet cars in the stable, I'm wondering how the cruiser fits in?

Actually the pics are from the PO so it's not my E39 540i in the background. I've been too lazy to take pictures. The Land Cruiser actually is replacing a Mercedes C36 AMG (sold), which has been my daily driver for about a year. I don't need two sports sedans, but I do need something that I can happily drive in poor weather, haul lumber from Home Depot, pull my 4x8 utility trailer, and take fishing. I'd also like to try my hand at some light off-roading. The FJ80 will share DD duties with the Jag, along with serving a "utility" role. My wife is tired of my hauling 2x4s in her Mazda MPV minivan.;) Plus I've always loved the Land Cruiser.

I think the color is awesome and the condition of the int/ext looks great. Thanks for the pics.

JMHO, but I think the presence of the Cruiser adds "dignity" to your garage.:flipoff2:

Clunking is "normal" on a 91-92. I'm not saying you *don't* have a bad u-joint or other issue, but even with all components up to snuff it'll still clunk.

Welcome,

Curtis

Clunking is "normal" on a 91-92. I'm not saying you *don't* have a bad u-joint or other issue, but even with all components up to snuff it'll still clunk.

Welcome,

Curtis

Curtis,

Thanks for the reality check. That way I won't spend a bunch of money striving for impossible perfection.;)

Whoa!! Hey didn't even notice that you were a fellow Wichitan. :) I would just make sure to grease all the driveline points. That helps alot with the clunk. :)

Edit: On second thought, were you driving up by 21st and Maize Road last night? I saw a blonde girl driving an 80. I thought it was same paint scheme as mine but it could have been yours as it was getting dark. Mine is the same color up top, and darker blue down below. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom