DIY ceramic coatings, anyone tried them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any experience with internal engine coatings (piston top, valve faces, combustion chamber) that are applied with an airbrush and baked to cure?

At around $10 per fluid ounce for the material, they're kind of tempting. I've seen Techline Coatings' stuff online, who else offers these?

Anyone with any stories for or against ceramic coatings in general and DIY ones in particular?

:cheers:
Curtis.

What is the purpose of the coating?

I'd be really carefull doing anything DIY on intrenal parts of your motor. Might best be left to a professional. But considering for a 2F or 3F I think your wasting your time. Now if your trying to get 250-300 hp out of it and you already have sunk 10 grand into the motor already then go for it.

DIY and I see it the coatings coming off inside the chamber and causing more issues. Not to mention possible displacement issues.

the powder coater i used for my LS motor in my chevy did piston coatings. I didn't use it but i did put heat dissapating coating on all of my covers and oil pan. I have noticed a temp change in my oil but not enough for what I paid for it.

What is the purpose of the coating?

Reduce heat transfer to engine parts, keeping the heat where it will do work (combustion and exhaust gasses), lower load on the cooling system (not a big concern on an F-block I suppose), lower heat in the exhaust valve and make the system less prone to detonation (and less susceptible to damage from detonation). Vizard in his "How to Build Horsepower" book claims a 10% boost in power and efficiency when the piston top, valve faces and combustion chamber are done.

I'd be really carefull doing anything DIY on intrenal parts of your motor.
DIY and I see it the coatings coming off inside the chamber and causing more issues. Not to mention possible displacement issues.

That's where the concern lies, it's well proven for professionally done coatings, but I'm not down with paying hundreds of dollars to have it done. If someone can attest to the DIY coatings leading to a similar quality coating, then the cost would be well worth spending. The website for Techline Coatings doesn't instill too much confidence (at least in their grasp of written english and web design). Link from some circle track magazine's site: http://www.circletrack.com/techarti...gine_coating_overview_guide_how_to/index.html

Last edited:
bueller_ben_stein_2_small.jpg
bueller_ben_stein_2_small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom