Easter Egg 3B diesel engine dramas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aotearoa - New Zealand, land of hobbits and The Al
Feel like an egg alright ...

So, on Thursday arvo, just as I pull into a parking space and slip into neutral I hear a 'pfft' sound from the engine bay - followed by lots of very milky smoke coming out of the engine bay right in front of the windscreen (FJ40). :eek:

I kill the engine. Check the bay - no signs of what broke: no burn signs; no liquid; no melted wires; nada.

With a sense of foolish bravey: I key the ignition and ... she starts straight off. Check the engine bay while she's running: no issues. Drive home. No issues.

Take her out for another check Thursday night just before it got dark and could see lots of smoke in the rear-view mirror. Pull up at the side of the road, pop it into neutral and stand outside the wagon and watch the exhaust while I pump the accelerator: lots of black BLACK smoke coming out the exhaust. By the time I got home (about 5 km's later) I'm pretty sure she was smoking out the exhaust just while idling (it was dark so couldn't see for sure). Haven't started her up today.

Also worth noting that when killing the engine she now judders noticeably.

So, being the impatient bugger I am and not wanting to have to wait until Tuesday to speak to a mechanic ... what's the likely damage done? And any ideas on costs to repair? I'm going to have to take the engine out anyway (consider it up-skilling!) so don't mind taking the time to do things in my own garage.

Appreciate all feedback.

Cheers and, er ... Happy Easter! ... I think :rolleyes:

Feel like an egg alright ...

So, on Thursday arvo, just as I pull into a parking space and slip into neutral I hear a 'pfft' sound from the engine bay - followed by lots of very milky smoke coming out of the engine bay right in front of the windscreen (FJ40). :eek:

I kill the engine. Check the bay - no signs of what broke: no burn signs; no liquid; no melted wires; nada.

With a sense of foolish bravey: I key the ignition and ... she starts straight off. Check the engine bay while she's running: no issues. Drive home. No issues.

Take her out for another check Thursday night just before it got dark and could see lots of smoke in the rear-view mirror. Pull up at the side of the road, pop it into neutral and stand outside the wagon and watch the exhaust while I pump the accelerator: lots of black BLACK smoke coming out the exhaust. By the time I got home (about 5 km's later) I'm pretty sure she was smoking out the exhaust just while idling (it was dark so couldn't see for sure). Haven't started her up today.

Also worth noting that when killing the engine she now judders noticeably.

So, being the impatient bugger I am and not wanting to have to wait until Tuesday to speak to a mechanic ... what's the likely damage done? And any ideas on costs to repair? I'm going to have to take the engine out anyway (consider it up-skilling!) so don't mind taking the time to do things in my own garage.

Appreciate all feedback.

Cheers and, er ... Happy Easter! ... I think :rolleyes:

Diaphragm?

How's the radiator water level? The white smoke sounds like water getting in. The black smoke sounds like way too much fuel for the air...which could be diaphragm or could be compression loss.

Check oil level and color. If it is milky it means it has an internal coolent leak ie head gasket or oil cooler drama . Same goes for rad level if it is going down and cant find any external leaks.
Remember this just information, may not be. I hope it is nothing drastic.

thanks for all the advice so far. Will get a chance to check her out tomorrow morning.

Keep the advice coming :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom