EGR nonsense? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
now you guys got me really confused you have one post that goes on for years where people are flipping out becuase your trying to trick the egr with a resistor and another post 5 lines down where people are just blocking the system off completely and its no big deal WTF? and this is, beno, beo, dan, lantank, et al, and all the other gurus.
I live in Hawaii, no emissions test, and none coming, cant i just rip all that **** off, throw in some resistors and call it a day? 94FZE:hillbilly:

hawaii- can you please post links to the thread and posts you referenced? I don't believe any of the people you mentioned have blocked off their EGRs. So, again, please post links to their posts where they indicate they've done so.

Beno expressed interest in the resistor trick to shut off the MIL in the P0401 defeated thread. Personally if I were in an area that wouldn't fail me on inspection without it - I would gut it. But they would fail me, so I fixed it. If I were you hawaiicruz I would first look into whether or not the more restrictive inspection tests are coming to your area soon before doing anything.

hawaii- can you please post links to the thread and posts you referenced? I don't believe any of the people you mentioned have blocked off their EGRs. So, again, please post links to their posts where they indicate they've done so.

I do not have an EGR valve or any of the related plumbing/VSV's/ etc. I've just been looking for the resistor and that old thread came up and the timing was perfect.

-o-

I dont how to put in the links( h**l I can hardly type:hillbilly:) but the 2 posts were; PO401 defeated, and How to make an EGR blockoff plate
I also did'nt mean to infer that the people I mentioned were deleting these systems from they're trucks, just that they had all commented on it
As far as Hawaii getting emissions testing anytime soon Its just not going to happen. The state is made up of small islands that are in the middle of the Pacific, and is subjected to strong regular trade winds that blow everything out to sea
also the culture is very rural and has deep roots in agriculture(its still legal to ride in the back of a pickup, and where I live people ride they're dirt bikes and quads right down main street and the cops could care less) picture Mexico but with a mcdonalds, so I dont see smog testing to be an issue for quite awhile
Now for the tech part (all moral questions aside) do I really need the smog system, EGR etc or is it just there to lower emissions and cause HG failures

The EGR is purely emissions, don't worry about it. No effect on performance, although this is only an educated guess. This howlie really misses his apple sauce and spam at Mickey D's. Are you a local boy or transplant? I miss my bra's

I'd love to see a detailed write up on how to disable the EGR and the connected bits, IF it's a good idea that is. I know the point to them, but often wonder how everything is working after so many years anyway. In my mind simpler = better. I hate looking at all the emissions valves and spaghetti mess of vacuum lines wondering what will fail next. This is comparing apples to oranges, but the 60 guys do "desmogs" all the time.

The EGR is purely emissions, don't worry about it. No effect on performance, although this is only an educated guess. This howlie really misses his apple sauce and spam at Mickey D's. Are you a local boy or transplant? I miss my bra's

Transplant, been on the big island for almost 6 years
x2 on a thread for desmoging the FZE

The EGR is purely emissions, don't worry about it. No effect on performance, although this is only an educated guess.

Not quite. The EGR system is integrally connected to the entire ECU operation of the fuel delivery, timing and engine management systems. The EGR, O2's (at least the first upline O2), and the MAF have very important roles in coordinating with each other the fuel/air ratio for the 1FZ.

You need to make sure that your first O2 is operating correctly, and that at the very least, your down line O2 is also operating correctly (or at least emulated) (on 1995-1997 trucks--I am not talking about OBD1 trucks). The MAF needs to be correctly functioning and your sensors--specifically the engine coolant temperature sensor (1st on on the DS of the head looking forward)--are in good condition. Also, a resistor for the EGR Temp Sensor is another necessary step (got mine coming this week).

There has been much discussion about the EGR system, it's problems, it's necessity/non-necessity, etc. if you do a search and want to spend some time understanding how the ECU and EGR "talk" with each other.

There is a correct way to de-smog a 1FZ. Whether anyone has done it correctly or not is to be seen. I've attempted it and am still having some small issues that I need to work on.

-o-

Try this: plug the hose between the EGR and VSV so the EGR is on all the time. I did it to test some crap in the EGR system, and guess what, the light went off on its own and stayed off. Go figure.

I have a 94 as well. I don't think it'd work on an OBD II (95 and above).

I have my engine out for a complete rebuild. -Will likely delete the EGR since I can get by without emissions testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom