Big OEM oil filter- Advantage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With my last oil change, I noticed that the recent toyota filters I bought were slightly smaller that what was on there from a previous change. And neither is the "big" filter that most of you are probably familiar with. The last two digits of this smallest filter is "D1", the one that was removed was "D3". I've done some searches and it appears that this "D1" filter can be used in many toyotas including 4 cylinders. I've also seen that the "Big" filter may only fit on 80's up thru 1996 (makes no sense). Does anyone know the part # for the "Big" filter and if it will fit a 1997 cruiser? My engineering mind wants to think a bigger filter with a bigger surface area for oil flow thru will be better for the oil pump and oil will pass slower thru the larger filter picking up more stuff. Anyone know???

With my last oil change, I noticed that the recent toyota filters I bought were slightly smaller that what was on there from a previous change. And neither is the "big" filter that most of you are probably familiar with. The last two digits of this smallest filter is "D1", the one that was removed was "D3". I've done some searches and it appears that this "D1" filter can be used in many toyotas including 4 cylinders. I've also seen that the "Big" filter may only fit on 80's up thru 1996 (makes no sense). Does anyone know the part # for the "Big" filter and if it will fit a 1997 cruiser? My engineering mind wants to think a bigger filter with a bigger surface area for oil flow thru will be better for the oil pump and oil will pass slower thru the larger filter picking up more stuff. Anyone know???

The big filter part # 15600-41010 will fit on your 97.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/220672-oil-filter-confusion.html

The big one also gives more surface area to remove heat. Mike

I would go back to your dealer and get a D3 to swap in place of that D1. The D3 is the correct "current" filter for the 4.5L. I still use the big filters, if not I would use the D3. The D1 is pretty small.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 has a large filter as well. It's listed as the filter for the LX450 in the book. Different size than the FZJ80 size.

Thanks guys for the input. Sounds like the little boy D1 will need to be replaced by at least the D3, or maybe the Lexus filter. With $30+ of fresh Mobil 1 in there, I may run it for a month or so and switch it out before the next long trip. I did find the comment about taking longer to build pressure with the larger filters interesting, although don't have to worry about real cold starts in FLA. I wonder if the dealer will take back the D1?

I see zero advantage in the large filter, have cut a bunch of 1FZ filters open, including one run to 11K miles and have yet to find anything significant in them, these motors run very clean, so the added capacity isn't needed.

The other argument is that most wear happens on cold start up. When the motor sets, the oil drains back into the pan, when started a bubble of air is forced through the system before oil gets there. Most of this air is from the filter, the larger the filter, the longer the time until oil get to the bearings. When I ran the large filter had the cold start up chain rattle, switched to the small and it's gone, most likely from the tensioner getting oil pressure sooner.

This is probably why Toyota went to the smaller on all of the newer engines, 1 because extra filter capacity is unneeded, 2 because quicker lube time on cold start reduces long term wear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom