My truck's singing and it's not a good song. bearing whine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a distinct whine coming from the engine compartment. Not sure what the cause is. It's definitely engine rather than drivetrain, as it's replicable when stopped. Turns into a real ringing sound/whistle at 2500 rpm. If I had to guess, I'd say it's my power steering pump pulley, as my steering box has been pissing fluid for a few thousand miles.

Would letting the power steering resevoir go dry affect the pulley bearing? I would think it's bad for the pump itself, but the pulley bearing makes me more worried.

Other causes I've heard about are egr pump, but I'm not sure what else it could be aside from that.

I'm meeting with some cruiser heads tomorrow morning, and hopefully their collective knowledge will help, but I'm hoping to get some thoughts before I meet them. Anyone had this before? I know it's vague, but I'd like to address it before I embark on the next 10,000 miles, not in or near major cities.

Thanks.

Where are you now? The PS going dry could cause some problems. I will be there tomorrow morning.

Right now I'm back at my friend's place in the city. Got back from Napa today with the woman. Bought some lucas power steering additive, but I think after putting it in that it would probably make the situation worse rather than better, by being thicker and harder for the ps pump to spin.

that lucas stuff is ok in the warm, but it does not like cold mornings/days.
been using it straight up for a few weeks now. cold starts it sings like it has no fluid till things get alittle heat going on.

Take your fan belts off one at a time and crank it. Maybe it will change its tune and give you some ideas. Don't run it long without the water pump but you will be OK for a minute or less on a cool engine.

I hear you on the fan belts. The truck is parked in a residential area right now, so I don't think I can put that to the test until tomorrow. hopefully the guys will bear with me for a few minutes.

On the Lucas stuff, it doesn't seem to help. I put it in a warm engine, and I still have the whine. Does the power steering fluid lube the pulley bearings? i wouldn't think so but I'm not an expert. I'd think they were either sealed or lubed by separate moly grease or something.

I'm not a mech by trade, the little I know is from wrenching on my own junk.

On my 60, I've replaced the powersteering pump, the water pump, the alt (x2 - shucks crap) and the air pump (also x2). The only one that whined was the air pump. Both times it gave me warning before failing - the whine was the warning...and the failure was that it siezed. Miles between initial whine and siezing...guessing in the 500 mile area...though it's probably more about engine rpms than miles.

So, my recommendation is to track down the source of that whine pronto and git 'er fixed!

Enjoy your trip - I love the thread!

I have a distinct whine coming from the engine compartment..... If I had to guess, I'd say it's my power steering pump pulley, as my steering box has been pissing fluid for a few thousand miles.

On my 60, I've replaced the powersteering pump, the water pump, the alt (x2 - shucks crap) and the air pump (also x2). The only one that whined was the air pump. Both times it gave me warning before failing - the whine was the warning...and the failure was that it siezed. Miles between initial whine and siezing...guessing in the 500 mile area...though it's probably more about engine rpms than miles.
A common source of demise for a smog pump is ATF leaking onto it from the power steering pump above. With the crew you're meeting tomorrow, you'll get a good diagnosis. Good luck!
Butt

I had a whine/singing/whirling sound that increased in frequency and volume at about 2500rpm. This went on for about a year or so... I had no visible leaks within the engine bay, no loose belts, etc. Being new to 60s I wasn't sure if this was how they were supposed to sound, I have always heard "a well tuned 60 sounds like a sewing machine"... mine sounded like a singing sewing machine.

About 5 months ago my alternator starting going out (batt light, atf light, dim brake light, etc). I sourced a reman denso complete with pulley. After install the whine/singing/whirling was gone... either I accidentally corrected the problem elsewhere when installing the reman alternator (belt tention, etc) or the problem was the alternator's pulley and/or bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom