Transfer case Spring replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In trouble shooting my transfer case slipping out of 4h and 4l- It has been mentioned that a stronger spring would be needed. What would be involved in switching the springs out and where would I source? CDAN? I was told you dont need to drop the xfer case to get to the springs.

Easy to do

See this thread: Detent springs

It has the TSB about them and a nice pic of where it is located. You unscrew the cap, remove the spring and put the new one in. I used a small piece of wire with a hook bent into it, to get it out.

Good luck
Ex

Pretty sure that Marlin has a stronger spring.

Hope the spring helps........

Most slip-out effects are cured by replacing high/low gears and sliding collar.........

Well the case was rebuilt about a year ago and has really had very limited use. So i am hping the spring will fix it.

The rebuild kits dont replace the spring.

I guess I am just hoping that it is just the spring and not the scenario Grant mentioned.

you can always pull it out and strech it out some and see if that works

I solved this problem with 3 stainless steel washers stacked against the back of the spring. Flawless. $0.18.

I solved this problem with 3 stainless steel washers stacked against the back of the spring. Flawless. $0.18.

Does Toyota offered a TSB washer fix? :confused:

In car land TSB means "Technical Service Bulletin." However, TSB does have other meanings outside of cars...

Did you check your motor mounts? This is a common problem with a failed motor mount. When torque is applied the drive train will twist and force the shifter against the body making it pop out of gear. To test have a trusted friend sit in the truck with the e-brake on. Have him/her put the truck in gear and start to let the clutch out. You will be standing on the driver side of the rig with the hood open. When he/she lets the clutch out you should not see the engine move. if the engine lifts on (on the drivers side/left side) you have a bad motor mount.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Ok finally got around to pulling the spring today. Streched it a bit and put it back. Took on a test drive and stayed in 4low, only when I tried to climb basically a vertical wall just to test it did it pop out. I will call Marlin tomorrow for a stiffer spring. Thanks for the help, I am glad that is all it was.

Well that would be faster and cheaper. I will give it a go tonight.

Check your engine mounts!!! That is a typical engine mount problem.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom