FJ 55 axles into a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can this be done? Am i able to restore a couple fj55 axles and put the under my 40 without to much extra work? Are they the same?

Also i have longfields in my 40 front and a lockwrite in the rear, will these swap over to 55 axles?

I have searched mud and cannot seem to find anything that address this. Thanks for you help:cheers:

I think they are Exactly the same.. Should be an easy swap..

Its Possible you may need to do brake lines or somthing like that, but the steering and Suspension should bolt up!

What Year is the 40 and the 55?

55 axles are just a leetle bit different than 40 axles. 55 gots the rear antisway bar, steering stops might be different, spring perches probly different, maybe shock mounts too? brake backing plates would be different too. Inside, though, all the same.

'73/'74 into '78

Can this be done? Am i able to restore a couple fj55 axles and put the under my 40 without to much extra work? Are they the same?

Also i have longfields in my 40 front and a lockwrite in the rear, will these swap over to 55 axles?

I have searched mud and cannot seem to find anything that address this. Thanks for you help:cheers:

I have a 78 40 and looking at a 73 and 74 55 to part out on cl now.

What has inspired this?

axle swap

What is the hub to hub measuremets for both, 40/55?

axle width

to re-phrase the question... what is the wms to wms on the 40 axle and the 55?:meh:

Besides CL, remember to post up yer 55 parts in the 55 Classified section too. Thanks!:cheers:

Question is Why?

why not just fix any leaks or issues with your current axles..

78 is the Holy Grail of FJ40 Axles.. Fine Spline Pinnion 4:11's with Disk Brakes..

the FJ55 Axles will have Drum Brakes and Course Spline Diffs..

78 is the Holy Grail of FJ40 Axles.. Fine Spline Pinnion 4:11's with Disk Brakes..

:lol:

Small pattern knuckle garbage...

Question is Why?

why not just fix any leaks or issues with your current axles..

the FJ55 Axles will have Drum Brakes and Course Spline Diffs..

Yeah i know i would have to switch the brakes over but my axles now that i have are 3.73 gears. I was hoping that i could get this 55 and switch it over to have 4.11 gears. Sounds like it is a bad idea. Thanks for all your help

They will bolt up. The spring perches are the same and the width is the same.

The FJ55 and FJ45 rear axles have the added tabs to mount the rear sway bar.

The FJ55 frt axle has bump stop extenders welded on the top, which may actully be of benefit w/ a spring lift and larger tires. Otherwise they can be cut off.

As has been discussed, the whole 1974 assembly is inferior to the 78 stuff, but many of the parts will still interchange and could be used to get a jumpstart on an axle overhaul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom