Orion thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
wow.

i was debating on one of these or the marks gears for the split tcase. id much prefer the 4-1, but, it reads like you need an AA factory mechanic to get this thing set up right...

There is not a 19 spline Orion option; only 16 and 10 spline.

Marks 3:1 Low range gear sets are for the 19 spline Land Cruiser split transfer case design only.

Since those are completely different applications that do not interchange, what exactly is your question?

There is not a 19 spline Orion option; only 16 and 10 spline.

Marks 3:1 Low range gear sets are for the 19 spline Land Cruiser split transfer case design only.

Since those are completely different applications that do not interchange, what exactly is your question?

i hadnt dug that deep into it, yet. basically i have an h55f and the stock t case is gonna get cracked open for a rebuild... i figured id like lower gearing, then i priced the gears.. pert near the cost of an orion, so i started looking into this option...

thats as far as i got before reading about it popping out of gear.

i handn't looked into splines yet. not something you wanna overlook though. (im used to GM drivetrains in my 40's, im new to a real toyota):D

Many of us have set up Orions with zero problems.

Many people who did have problems used parts that were worn, leading to the problems

AA has updated the original design and parts included to avoid these issues anyway.

I have only installed one set of the marks gears... Not a lot of datapoints there, but I was disappointed in the product and Marks support... AA (who was the middle man) was, as always excellent. As they have been with issues involving other things I have sourced from them.

The Orion is an EXCELLENT UNIT. But if you have a 19spline tranny it does not matter. :)

Mark...

i read... 4-1 and steel case, and i got a tingly. oh well.

its nice to know the gears are 1400 bucks for a so-so product....

im trying to get close to a 60-1 CR in a highway friendly rig. my options seem limited. i have NOOOOO desire to try to double up cases with an h55f.

im trying to get close to a 60-1 CR in a highway friendly rig. my options seem limited. i have NOOOOO desire to try to double up cases with an h55f.

3:1 gear set in a split case behind an H55 with 4:11/10 ring and pinion gets you to 60 pretty easily....and should cruise down the highway just fine.

More info. on the transmission for us curious folk. Is there a diff. between h55f and h55 ? Was there any changes to this transmission during production or are they all the same ? Is the 3 to 1 gearset for t-case an aftermarket item or is that found in an oem t-case ?

Is the 3 to 1 gearset for t-case an aftermarket item or is that found in an oem t-case ?

It is manufactured for and distributed by an off road vendor in Australia.

Advance Adapters are the contact for them in the USA.

peesalot,

The landcruiser 5-speed is the H55-f. There has been some discussion that an H55 (notice no 'f') may exist. I forget if it was a Dyna or 2wd Hino truck???

There is one major difference in the H55-f. It either bolt to a B series engine, or an H/F series engine (the difference lies in the input shafts).

A few minor differences come to mind:
  • steel vs aluminum bellhousing
  • an extra few degrees of clocking in the bellhousing (I think this change was incorporated with one of the above steel/Al bellhousings)
  • a crossmember that fits the 'clocked' or 'non-clocked' bellhousing

I believe if you get everything (tranny, bellhousing, crossmember) from the same donor you're fine. You may run into a few minor snags if you get the parts from different year donors (though they're not all that serious).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom