FJ 60 knuckle bearing races (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do I remove the Upper and lower knuckle bearing races? And the inner Axle Seals?

How do I remove the Upper and lower knuckle bearing races? And the inner Axle Seals?

Races: pound them out with a brass rod from the opposite side. there are intendations on the underside of the race support where the rod can be seated. They take a good pounding-you can seat the knuckle into a vise for that though.

inner axle seals: the cheapest puller you can find. or big pliers/vise gips. the seals will be toast after that anyway.

be careful when putting the new seals in-they mess up easily. pound them in with the flat side of a very large socket or such. a flat piece of wood works well too.
j

Look close there should be a small notch under the race where you can hit it from the other side.

You can get a seal pull to pull the old seals. Whatever you use you don't want to scratch up the seal surface.

I took my old wheel bearing race and grinded it down and used it to hammer in the seals.

Do yourself a huge favor; do not, under any circumstance, be tempted to use the stock Toyota seals unless you actually enjoy disassembling the knuckles because if you do, you will be back on that same project in no time. Get a set of Marlin's inner axle seals. These things rock, (meaning, they actually do as the name "seal" implies.) I wish he had made them available 15 years ago, it would have saved me a lot of anguish.

Do yourself a huge favor; do not, under any circumstance, be tempted to use the stock Toyota seals unless you actually enjoy disassembling the knuckles because if you do, you will be back on that same project in no time. Get a set of Marlin's inner axle seals. These things rock, (meaning, they actually do as the name "seal" implies.) I wish he had made them available 15 years ago, it would have saved me a lot of anguish.

I ordered them and they are on the way.

The stock seals hold up and seal for many, many years when installed properly.

When I ordered the seals I also sprung for Marlin's seal installer. Yet to arrive though, so no idea about it yet.
I am thinking that I may be able to make a part or two to work with the installer to also turn it into a knuckle centering tool.

The stock seals hold up and seal for many, many years when installed properly.

The problem really isn't the seal itself or the installation, it's the culmination of several factors, all related to age and use. Birfield wear, axle shaft wear, and spindle bushing wear will all combine to create enough movement at the end of the axle at the point where it passes through the seal that the deflection amount is greater then the seal's ability to move with the shaft and still maintain a sealing contact across the top portion, even if you put it in properly. Marlin's seals can deflect many times the amount that the stock seals can while still sealings 360 degrees around the shaft. So if your rig has ever done much more than go to the supermarket, chances are there will be wear on all these parts that will create the leak.

NT -
Could you point me to Marlin's seal installer tool? I can't seem to find it.

I've was a tool junky long before I became a Cruiser junky.

That is what I've used in the past, but given that I get to do this process again on my Mini after only 3 years and maybe 25k miles (steering bearings are brinnelled and the seals are leaking) I thought that I'd try a dedicated tool. It may also save me from needing to build a couple parts for my knuckle centering tool. I'll know better once UPS quits screwing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom