Sedimenter Light BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did a search on this and came up with nothing.

What does the sedimenter light on a BJ40 look like and where is it located? I'm thinking maybe to the right of the wiper switch (RHD) as theres a spare hole there? Can someone post a pic of it for me please :confused:

post a pic of your dash so we can see what lights you have on it also which year is it.

Here you go, it's a '77.
As you can see, there's no lights on the dash whatsoever, someones gone walkabout with them :crybaby:

edit: I do have the glow plug light (not shown) and the brake/? double light, nothing in the right side of that.

Last edited:
Mine is a light below my steering wheel on the ignition side, right next to throttle cable. I have a LHD 1981 BJ42.

Thanks AJAEbj42, I've got the glowplug resistor/light in that position, at least what I think is that position. Under the light switch and over the throttle cable which is on the far right of the dash next to the door.

Rockcrawler the light above your throttle cable is your glow light it only indicates the glowplug function when it it glows red/orange your plugs are heated for starting.
Your sedimentor light probably does not exist I believe that is what the blank red spot beside your brakelight is for as far as I can source out is it was optional for the earlier models,I do know my 41 does have a wire to it so maybe it shares the brakelight warning I have not ran a trace as of yet.
The Cdn models had a seperate orange light on the dash which comes on when starting then turns off after startup.
I have yet to have any warning from any of my BJs CDN or Import,I would suggest loosening the drain plug once a year and see what comes out,just drain to point diesel starts to come out if there is water in there it will come out first.

Thanks for that, I will have to trace where the cable from the sedimenter tank runs to as well.
Any clue what the spare 3 holes on the dash are for?

Hi Rockcrawler

Here are a couple of photos from my 1979.

I suspect your 1977 came out with the same blanked-out holes.

(It looks to me like your cigarette lighter was installed by a previous owner.)

This my stock dash - except for the aftermarket Blaupunket (something like that - German spelling for "blue-spot") radio and except for the little red security-alarm light:

Dash2.jpg

And here is my glow controller/indicator (but the chrome switch and little light to the right of the headlight switch were installed by me for spotlights that I've since removed):

HandThrottle1.jpg

:cheers:

PS. So if you don't have a sedimenter light you shouldn't darn well have the sedimeter either ......Ha ha ha. (Cos I have neither.)
Dash2.jpg
HandThrottle1.jpg

Did a search on this and came up with nothing.

What does the sedimenter light on a BJ40 look like and where is it located? I'm thinking maybe to the right of the wiper switch (RHD) as theres a spare hole there? Can someone post a pic of it for me please :confused:

Here is mine

P1020101.JPG

Just above my throttle

P1020423.JPG

With the glow on the other side

P1020645.JPG

Thanks for the pics guys, that filter light looks nice Theo, might have to try to source one to complete my sedimenter setup :D

Hi Rockcrawler

So if you don't have a sedimenter light you shouldn't darn well have the sedimeter either

That's coz my truck was a special edition BJ40"S" fitted with a state-of-the-art sedimenter :lol:

Last edited:
...That's coz my truck was a special edition BJ40"S" fitted with a state-of-the-art sedimenter :lol:

Is that last pic supposed to be of your sedimenter because all I can see is your vacuum reservoir (for your brake booster),

But then I'm at work and the computers here are garbage.

Or is the cat your sedimenter?

The small hole on the top row was probably PO drilled for a toggle switch,the one left of the wiper is were the FD goes if you have the vacume TBox,the one center of the lower row is ??? still have not come across a cruiser for a reference to what goes there but it may be a good location for the sediment warning light it will fit.
If you look at Spectors dash switch diagram they show a choke switch on the top row and a interior light switch for a soft top so these are probably generic dashes with the holes for all production runs.

Is that last pic supposed to be of your sedimenter because all I can see is your vacuum reservoir (for your brake booster),

But then I'm at work and the computers here are garbage.

Or is the cat your sedimenter?

So are you meaning to tell me my truck is not special after all? :bang:
I thought that was the sedimenter due to drain plug! Come to think of it it is kinda large for that.
So I guess the sedimenter is the thing to the right of vacuum reservoir in this pic?

Last edited:
The small hole on the top row was probably PO drilled for a toggle switch,the one left of the wiper is were the FD goes if you have the vacume TBox,the one center of the lower row is ??? still have not come across a cruiser for a reference to what goes there but it may be a good location for the sediment warning light it will fit.
If you look at Spectors dash switch diagram they show a choke switch on the top row and a interior light switch for a soft top so these are probably generic dashes with the holes for all production runs.

Thanks Dieseler.

So are you meaning to tell me my truck is not special after all? :bang:
....So I guess the sedimenter is the thing to the right of vacuum reservoir in this pic?

Yep, but but not to worry as only the non-special trucks got them :D

So are you meaning to tell me my truck is not special after all? ...

Good job too! He he. :D I hate people having nice gadgets on their cruisers that mine doesn't have!

Easy mistake to make though. Petrol forties don't have those vacuum reservoirs because they use the vacuum off their intake manifolds for "brake boost" whereas we have that vacuum pump hanging off the back of our alternator. (If we used the manifold vacuum, touching the brakes would tend to make our trucks accelerate at the same time as braking - by reducing the amount of vacuum that would otherwise be pulling the "rack" in the injector pump (via that leather diaphragm) to the "low/idling fuel quantity" end of the scale. (A spring would push the rack back towards the "higher fuel" end.) .... Rather counterproductive :rolleyes:

And that switch you see on your vacuum reservoir operates a "low/poor vacuum" warning alarm under your dash. (So if you pump your brakes repeatedly with the key in "run" but with your engine off - this alarm should come on to tell you have lost "vacuum assist".)

....So I guess the sedimenter is the thing to the right of vacuum reservoir in this pic?

Wow.
sedimenter.jpg
Where did you find this picture? That vehicle is immaculate!
sedimenter.jpg

Thanks for the info on that, now I know why some 40's have that tank and why some haven't.
Also, I was rooting around with the truck a week ago when that damn alarm started going off and drove me nuts, pulled the plug on it in the end. I had been playing with the brakes at the time, engine off. So that explains that.

Where did you find this picture? That vehicle is immaculate!

Yeah, that truck has been an inspiration to me for a while...
Enjoy!

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?ma=t&userid=3E1EB5B57E9A4D8FB32271BBCE8EF200&albumid=CF14C8ACDA1C4B75B6E8FE8FF5D91DD5&st=he&GUID={58E51122-A127-4C5A-9136-1D11F52586EC}&sent=stored

Last edited:
Yeah, that truck has been an inspiration to me for a while...
Enjoy!

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/f...1122-A127-4C5A-9136-1D11F52586EC}&sent=stored

Ah. One of OURS!

That ex-Hamilton BJ42. (Now filmpilot's)

I knew there couldn't be many others in that sort of condition.

I've just been thru every photo there. (Love the way even the plating has been redone to high standards.)

Hell it even has the original electro-mechanical voltage regulator with all the wording still on the cover. (I look after my wagon but I lost that wording long ago.) That's "attention to detail" for you.

That's a "no expense spared" restoration if I ever saw one. - Definitely tremendous restoration-workmanship too because the starting point wasn't quite as high as what I had previously imagined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom