Besides preference, for strength and lack of rattling, where to put tire on bumper an (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
These questions refer to a homemade bumper with one swing out arm . . . I have read and read posts and besides personal preference, I have not found any quantifiable reasons or after the fact "should have changed" info on where to put the spare tire on a homemade bumper in relation to the spindle.

I am not going crazy with a bumper, just a 35” spare tire and a mini-rack for two five gallon gas tanks (gas tanks will not be taller than the tire and a high lift mounted horizontally from the gas rack). I want the gas tanks to be side by side, narrow side facing out, on one side of the swing out arm.

From personal experience that you can prove from your own experience after building carriers, is it better to put the tire on the spindle side for strength and ant-rattle or does it matter?

Second question, I have a flush mounted tension latch like this:
15i7q4m.jpg
. Should I mount it horizontally on the end of the arm with a block on the top end of the main bumper to latch it or should I mount it vertically with the latch mounted facing down on the arm and the latch hook facing up on the main bumper at the opposite end of the spindle? If mounted horizontal (I'll get IPOR's Polyurethane Bump Stop), will there be enough tension pressure to keep the arm from rattling and moving around, or should I have the tension forcing the arm down by mounting the latch vertically?

Howdy! The weight of the two cans, filled, is pretty close to the weight of the spare, so that's no issue. But, the cans will probably be empty when your not out on the trail, so I would put the spare next to the spindle for max support, max time. I would mount the spare/spindle on the dirver's side so you have a better view when looking back over your right shoulder.

I wheel with a lot of 80's that have both swingout racks on the back. I don't remember any of them having a horizontal latch. I have seen one of them with a very low mounted latch drag it on the rocks enough to pop it open. I have seen a some of them use a padlock over the latch handle to prevent unwanted opening by vandals/thieves and trail obstacles.

If I ever get mu butt in gear, I plan on building one this way for my Piggy. The bumper will include a class 3 reciever, also. John

Your latch needs to be located so that it is pulling the swingarm closed against the stop

If it is pulling downward against the bumper the swing arm will tend to shift open a tiny bit, jamming the release of the latch... or sometimes popping it open if the pull arm overcenters.

Mark...

Your latch needs to be located so that it is pulling the swingarm closed against the stop

If it is pulling downward against the bumper the swing arm will tend to shift open a tiny bit, jamming the release of the latch... or sometimes popping it open if the pull arm overcenters.

Mark...

so best place would be at the end, pulling down at the side of the arm and bumper.

THe only issue with mounting the tire on the driver side is more cruiser lean. I have one of those cool back up cameras thatturns on when I go in reverse so backing up and not seeing anything is a non issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom