blower motor resistor low setting - JB weld? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The connector snapped off the resistor for the low setting...soldering won't hold...should I try JB weld or does anyone have any other ideas?

THanks

The connector snapped off the resistor for the low setting...soldering won't hold...should I try JB weld or does anyone have any other ideas?

THanks

The part number for the resistor and substitutes are all over this board if you wanna go that route.

I didn't wanna wait for a new part, so I dremeled off some of the insulation on the end near my broken connection until the remains of the terminal and the first coil of resistance material was visible. Then I wrapped a tied a new copper wire around the exposed area and soldered the whole thing up (use a high temp iron, like 600+deg). Been working for a year now...

The way to fix a broken blower resister terminal...

amaurer 's method (below) is the way to go for fixing a broken heater blower motor resistor terminal. I just finished and it works fine. I would caution not to dremel too deep or you dremmel away the resistor wire under the black epoxy insulation.

Thanks

remove the resistor and start dremmeling away the black epoxy insulation on the end with the terminal. Do it until you have a full loop of the resistance visible.

Soldering to the resistance wire itself is difficult, which is why I then wrapped a full turn of copper stranded wire (stripped bare) around the exposed resistance wire, and then applied solder to EVERYTHING.

@amaurer
How has your JB weld fix held up? I am getting ready to install my blower and heater related items. I bench tested my blower. Hi & Lo speed stiil work.

I did notice two prongs have broken away from the black epoxy. The copper wire is still attached. Do the prongs just serve as an anchor in the epoxy or is juice supposed to travel through them? If I were to re-coat the entire resistor in epoxy would heat disapation become an issue?

Thoughts on a JB weld fix @Coolerman
IMG_1642.JPG

You could use JB-Weld to fix that. Clean everything well with alcohol, then try to get the tabs back against the resistor body. Now gob on the JB-Weld around the tabs and let it dry overnight. Should hold for a while longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom