LX Vibration and Check Engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
LX Engine Vibration/Shaking and Check Engine light

Last time I started up my 97 LX450, the car started vibrating pretty violently in park and the check engine light came on. I can shift in to drive and move fine, but as soon as I press on the gas the vibration gets much faster and more violent. The engine seems to be shaking the entire car. I drove the car around the neighborhood in hopes that the problem would go away, but it persists. Any idea what it might be, and if its safe to drive ~ 20 miles to get it checked out?

Last edited:
you can get the CEL code scanned for free at Autozone, Advance Auto parts etc. I think Pep Boys charges for the service. If you don't want to drive it, you can pick up a cheap reader for around $50. The code may be able to help you make a decision on how serious the problem is.

Ya if you can get a cheep scanner it will prolly be worth it.

It is kinda sounding like you have a mis ..

ken

Any idea what it might be, and if its safe to drive ~ 20 miles to get it checked out?

Your truck is OBD-II so the ECM can detect mis-fires with individual cylinders. There could be problems other than cylinder misfires so that is why you are being asked to get the code(s) scanned. It should be OK to drive it ~20 miles to get the code scanned.

When they give you the code be sure to get the actual code (i.e. P0111 and not "the code says it is an EGR problem". We need the code if we are going to give you sound technical guidance.

If you are concerned about driving the vehicle ~20 miles then you can buy a scanner and pull the code yourself. If you want to take a look at the most likely things first then check the tube between the intake and the air filter canister. Next check the plug wires at the dizzy. The 3rd place to check is the wiring harness but lets get the code before we head down that path.

-B-

Thanks everyone for your help. The problem seems to be intermittent - started the car once today and drove around and it was fine. Started it again later and the problem was back. Does this point to an electrical problem? I keep reading about frayed wires causing things like this.

Going to get the code read later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom