LED light swap (lots of pics! dial-up=bad) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just completed the dash light upgrade in my fj62. I used the High Power Red LEDs for the dash lights and they are plenty bright. They fit great, and the amount of light is perfect. In the fj62, there are a couple of mini lamps as well--one for the high beam, and one for the seat belts. Here is what I installed:

4 Red LED High Power P/N WLED-XHP for the instruments
3 Green LED standard power P/N WLED-x-x LED 90 degree for turn signals and 4X4
1 Amber LED standard power P/N WLED-x-x LED 90 degree for Check Engine light.
2 Red LED standard power P/N WLED-x-x LED 90 degree for the brake and battery lights
2 mini 74-x white LEDs for the seat belt light and the high beam.

I also got a red festoon3022x4 LED for the heater controls but it wasn't bright enough and the green filters block most of the light. The red WLED-x-x LED for the rear window and antenna switches was also too dim. So I am ordering green ones for those and higher power. We'll see how those go.

also - having done it both ways - i'd get the brightest you can for the brake / batt lights. whatever makes it stand out more, especially if you go red on guages. Just my .02 since i want ot make sure and notice when something like that lights up!

rob

I thought about doing that for about 3 seconds, and then just decided to go with green and white down there. Those controls are out of the line of vision while driving, so shouldn't affect the night vision much. Also, on an fj62, the auto trans shifter has lights on it to indicate shifter postion, etc.

Yeah there's that and the two red warning lights on the shifter housing. I'll have to check and see if they're the same bulbs as the high beam and seatbelt lights.

Nope. The fj62 dash lamps are apparently different than the fj60 that sle33py has. The seatbelt and high beam are little tiny lights that I was sure were going to crush in my fingers I had to squeeze them so hard to get them out. I initially thought I would just be reusing the lamps, and was surprised that they had LED lights that small.

have a pic of these? I have a TINY one in glove box - maybe the same?

rob

I just completed the dash light upgrade in my fj62. I used the High Power Red LEDs for the dash lights and they are plenty bright. They fit great, and the amount of light is perfect. In the fj62, there are a couple of mini lamps as well--one for the high beam, and one for the seat belts. Here is what I installed:

4 Red LED High Power P/N WLED-XHP for the instruments
3 Green LED standard power P/N WLED-x-x LED 90 degree for turn signals and 4X4
1 Amber LED standard power P/N WLED-x-x LED 90 degree for Check Engine light.
2 Red LED standard power P/N WLED-x-x LED 90 degree for the brake and battery lights
2 mini 74-x white LEDs for the seat belt light and the high beam.

I also got a red festoon3022x4 LED for the heater controls but it wasn't bright enough and the green filters block most of the light. The red WLED-x-x LED for the rear window and antenna switches was also too dim. So I am ordering green ones for those and higher power. We'll see how those go.

are they enough bright turned down? or all the way up?

Let us know if they are.

The gear indicator light is. The red warning lights are twist-in type that use a slightly smaller bulb. The bulb and base are one unit. Looks like a 5mm unit, so I ordered two red NEO5 LEDs for those.

NEO5-x.jpg

Also I ordered a red 74-xHP for the gear indicator light.

74-xhp.jpg

Once these are in I'll see what looks like it'd work best in the switches themselves.

what's the best led to replace the both dome lights?

I've done both dome lights. I think for the price the the front dome light 3022-xHP2 work great. and for 7 bucks...

3022-hp4.jpg

This is the one i am going to use behind my heater controls w/ a red gel to get the red i want and still have it bright enough. I tried the low power 9 block in red and it wasn't bright enough. I also tried the festoon 4 low power and it really sucked! (EDIT - new HP4 fits same size and likely brighter - gel for color you want)

and for the back i swapped in the 6 HP LED - SUPER nice and bright. awesome to light up the cargo area. 3710-xHP6 and ~15$

4210-W6HP_mm.jpg

(EDIT - updated pics. Also am going to try the HP6 in dome with some mods it is supposed to fit. HP4 will definitely (just newer version of the HP2 i used))

HTH!

rob

Last edited:
Those twist in ones might also be the same bulb. The Hi Beam light was in a twist in base, and at first I thought I would have to order something with the base, but I eventually coaxed it out. I was squeezing it so hard I thought for sure it would crush and I would be getting stitches.

Also, those high power LEDS are going to be bright. I got the lower power ones, and they are plenty bright for indicator lights.

The base is similar between the two, but if you were able to remove the bulb at all without breaking it, it's a replaceable bulb. With the warning lights on the shifter, the bulbs have conductor wires that come down and literally wrap around the base (you can sort of see the wires in the pic I posted) so if you just try to pull the bulb out, it will break before the wires let go. I think the light in the 4WD switch was the same way. Can't remember since I don't use/have that button anymore :D

Quick bump/update: The high beam and seatbelt indicators in the 62 use type 37 bulbs, same as the glove box and the shifter illumination. The two warning lights on the shifter use the combination bulb/base assembly that I ordered the NEO5 LEDs to replace.

All my LEDs came today and I'll be putting 'em in tonight.

Edit: Damn, the NEO5 is too large of a base. They're cheap so I got a pair of NEO4 and NEO3 LEDs on the way so I can make sure I have the right size.

Last edited:
thanks for the 62 info Spook. I am going to swap my cig lighter illumination to red LED w/ a 37 - just need to disassemble it again to swap. I'd like to replace the bulb on the rear defrost while at it... looks like the NEO5, but probably isn't if it doesn't fit yours. Let us know which one fits.

rob

thanks for the 62 info Spook. I am going to swap my cig lighter illumination to red LED w/ a 37 - just need to disassemble it again to swap. I'd like to replace the bulb on the rear defrost while at it... looks like the NEO5, but probably isn't if it doesn't fit yours. Let us know which one fits.

rob

Yeah it's definitely not a NEO5. Comparing the two, it looks like it could be a NEO4, but they're so cheap I ordered NEO3s and NEO4s just to be sure I'd get the right one. I've got a few misc. bulbs I've written down to make one last order with, and then it should be all done and I'll post a list for the full FJ62 interior lighting upgrades. Then to hunt around for that thread that talked about the LED marker lights.....

I'm curious to see how your results go with the red theater gel for the heater controls. Hopefully it'll work better than the 9-LED brick.

Spook - i did the led marker upgrade vs swap. If you want to search for the thread it's RigOfMortis' one you likely are looking for. I swapped the bulbs w/ LED's in new markers for a clean stock look, but no heat (heat=FAIL *crumbling*) and hopefully no more replacing bulbs.

I also did front corner markers below blinker (white), rear license plate lights. I got the super hi output (5w or something ridiculous) for backup and brakes, but they don't fit. :( I am going to eventually work on making them fit and see how it goes. All of my blinkers are regular long life incandescent. I like having the blinker blink faster when a bulb goes out, and didn't want to mess w/ resistors etc to have them blink normal (slowly).

rob

Last edited:
Spook - i did the led marker upgrade vs swap. If you want to search for the thread it's RigOfMortis' one you likely are looking for. I swapped the bulbs w/ LED's in new markers for a clean stock look, but no heat (heat=FAIL *crumbling*) and hopefully no more replacing bulbs.

I also did front corner markers below blinker (white), rear license plate lights. I got the super hi output (5w or something ridiculous) for backup and brakes, but they don't fit. :( I am going to eventually work on making them fit and see how it goes. All of my blinkers are regular long life incandescent. I like having the blinker blink faster when a bulb goes out, and didn't want to mess w/ resistors etc to have them blink normal (slowly).

rob

Are you using the 5W units for your license plate lights? These ones:

115x-lx.jpg

I HATE HATE HATE having to change those bulbs out, and the lens gaskets can't be gotten new (already contacted Cdan about that one), so LEDs in there is a great idea.

Spook... I used RTV on my lenses all front rear... it makes a great seal and sure is a lot cheaper..

Are you using the 5W units for your license plate lights?
These ones:
1156-x15_mm.jpg

I HATE HATE HATE having to change those bulbs out, and the lens gaskets can't be gotten new (already contacted Cdan about that one), so LEDs in there is a great idea.

I ordered new so got the gaskets. I used amber WLEDx5 in the front side markers: (220* beam)
wled-x5.jpg

I put the red WLEDx6 (35* beam) into the rear side markers:
wled-x6.jpg

(EDIT - For both front and rear i'd probably use the new version maybe instead?):

wled-whp6.jpg
(EDIT - brighter, colors available (amber for fronts, red for rears), etc.)

for the front corner marker lights and license plate light i used 67-x15 LED :
6x-9.jpg

they did not have the WLEDxHP when i did my side markers, so i might use those in both amber front and red rear if i were to do it today. slightly more beam pattern for rear, but less for front...

Hope that helps. I will get the red gel installed soon i promise and post up some pics. I'm also thinking of getting some video to clearly show the brightness of the dash and i will get that posted when i figure out best way to post to web and link here.

GL!

rob

Last edited:
I ordered new so got the gaskets. I used amber WLEDx5 in the front side markers: (220* beam)
wled-x5.jpg

I put the red WLEDx6 (35* beam) into the rear side markers:
wled-x6.jpg

for the front marker lights and license plate light i used 67-x15 LED :
67-x15.jpg

they did not have the WLEDxHP when i did my side markers, so i might use those in both amber front and red rear if i were to do it today. slightly more beam pattern for rear, but less for front...

Hope that helps. I will get the red gel installed soon i promise and post up some pics. I'm also thinking of getting some video to clearly show the brightness of the dash and i will get that posted when i figure out best way to post to web and link here.

GL!

rob

I went ahead and ordered the complete marker light assemblies. I just like how they look. Just different enough to get a double-take from a Cruiserhead who knows his 60 series :D

Love how the 6-LED festoon looks in my cargo light so I ordered another one for the dome light and a pair of the WLED-WHP9-T for the front corner lights.
wled-whp9.jpg

I'm curious to see where you get with the 5-watt bulbs for your stop and reverse lights. I wonder if the flasher unit they sell would negate the need to install resistors for the turn signals. Don't want to go down that road yet (those LEDs are friggen expensive!) though. I'll stick with interior and marker lights for now because I need to focus on getting my brakes all churched up as soon as I can!

I went ahead and ordered the complete marker light assemblies. I just like how they look. Just different enough to get a double-take from a Cruiserhead who knows his 60 series :D

Love how the 6-LED festoon looks in my cargo light so I ordered another one for the dome light and a pair of the WLED-WHP9-T for the front corner lights.
wled-whp9.jpg

I'm curious to see where you get with the 5-watt bulbs for your stop and reverse lights. I wonder if the flasher unit they sell would negate the need to install resistors for the turn signals. Don't want to go down that road yet (those LEDs are friggen expensive!) though. I'll stick with interior and marker lights for now because I need to focus on getting my brakes all churched up as soon as I can!

Spook - I will let you know if i can get them to fit. Did the above WLED-WHP9-T come with a base that fits in the 1156 socket of corner marker light? I really like the brighter bulb in there - great for illuminating those corners (like pulling through garage door).

I've tried to fit the 6 high power LED festoon in the dome - let me know if you figure out a way to make it work. I didnt' want to get too crazy and mod it, but it was too big to fit when i tried. But i could just be a pansy, and with enough bending it might fit...

How do you like the light output of the rear cargo light now? don't you agree the color is a bit warmer (less blue) and more usable?

rob

Got started on the red heater controls. I took the HUGE red gel i got online from a theater supply (7$ and 7$ to ship..oh well). I have enough for a ton of these - if someone needs some let me know.
DSC_7852.JPG

the heater control panel has these windows at the bottom i didn't originally plan for.
DSC_7853.JPG

I decided to cut the gel a bit wider to bend and then cover these clear sections.

A bit of scotch tape to hold the first piece in...
DSC_7856.JPG

you can see the first piece folded into an L and in it:
DSC_7860.JPG

I decided to do two layers of this red to make sure it's red and not orange. By shining a light through it i gauged this should work better. i can pull the tape and remove one easily as i offset the tape a bit for that reason.

I wanted to give you guys an update on what i was doing, but haven't installed these yet. I am going to get some video soon and work on posting here to show how bright they are.

rob

I have been tagging along on the coat-tails of Sleepy and Spook on this thread. I had to get into my dash cluster to replace a gauge so I ordered some bulbs from Super Bright LEDs. I placed my order on line Monday and got my bulbs today in the US mail. I got a High Power 6-LED Festoon bulb-Cool White 7000K 13 mm 3710-xWHP6 for the lift gate light. That is obviously a good upgrade. It is a little longer than stock but you can make it work. I put the High Power 2-LED Festoon Bulb- Cool White 3022-CWPH2 for the dome light in the middle of the roof. Again, it is a little longer than stock but it will fit. It is brighter than stock but may not be enough for me ($6,95).. I put 4 of the WLED-xHP bulbs (Red WLED-RHP) in the dash unit; cna';t wait until dark. These are not the brightest ones they sell but I did not want to not be able to dim them way down and there were good reports on them from other posters. Removing the dash panel is a one banana job. These little red bulbs (Red WLED-RHP..$4.95 each X4) are polarized so you need to know which way to put them in. For the speedometer and tachometer, it is easy...the negative side is the white with black stripe wire (ground). It is a little more difficult for the multimeter dealy. The bulb in question that you want to replace is the one in ther center; unlike the other areas, there are no wires going to it because the back of the gauge cluster is a circuit board. Look for slot #4 in the wire connector...that is the ground, i.e. negative. Trace that back to your light socket and you will have your polarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom