Totaled 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I rolled my car offroading. I just need to know a couple of things.
n676846102_2135397_6608101.jpg

n676846102_2135392_169388.jpg

It was a 1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD. The insurance is willing to cover $4250. So I'll lose some money, but that's what happens when you make mistakes. :doh:
I'm trying to decide on whether or not I should buy it back from the insurance company. The roof doesn't look like it's that hard to fix, and I could always plexiglass the windshield. But there is one problem, when we flipped it back over, the engine wouldn't turn over. I'm not sure how it locked up, maybe oil drained into the heads while it was upside down?
Anyway, I wanted to know what I could possibly be looking at with the engine. The only other things that need to be repaired are the windshield, driver's side glass, and both rear side windows. Other than that and the roof, everything is straight. The doors even open and close! What sort of buyback price would be reasonable?

I'd do the following -
After making sure there are no clearance issues with any potentially moving engine parts, pulleys, belts, fan, etc.
I'd remove the sparkplugs and see if it will turn over, it may spray oil/coolant out of the spark plug holes so stand back!
After it turns over several times, replace the plugs, try and start it. If it runs - Drain & replace all the fluids, then get to work on the body. Good luck
I don't know on the payback price, sorry.

What state do you live in. Some states will not let you get a vehicle back on the road until you have the vehicle reinspected after a insurance company declares a vehicle a total. If you are in California they will not pass it since you are required to have a real windshield in it.

On the engine if you have power you could run a code scanner to see what codes you get. two reason truck may not start sometimes when veh rolls it messes up the battery and you are getting enough power to start veh. Second the engine may have seized if all the oil ran out of the oil pan while veh was running. More detailed info about what happend in the accident would be required.

What state do you live in. Some states will not let you get a vehicle back on the road until you have the vehicle reinspected after a insurance company declares a vehicle a total. If you are in California they will not pass it since you are required to have a real windshield in it.

On the engine if you have power you could run a code scanner to see what codes you get. two reason truck may not start sometimes when veh rolls it messes up the battery and you are getting enough power to start veh. Second the engine may have seized if all the oil ran out of the oil pan while veh was running. More detailed info about what happend in the accident would be required.

Yes, I'm in California, that's too bad.

Basically, I was driving off road at night and was going through a corner. At about 10-15mph, I hit a rut that I didn't see, and the vehicle slowly rolled over.

As soon as I was upside down, I put the vehicle in park and turned the engine off. As I was getting out, I noticed the transmission fluid was running out everywhere. It was upside down for about 45 minutes until we were finally able to get another 4Runner to flip it back.

At this point, I turned the ignition and all the power came on. I tested the battery and it had exactly 12 volts. I turned the ignition and there was just a click. The starter was engaging, but it just wasn't able to turn over.

It sounds like it may have siezed then. Probably no point in buying it back if the engine isn't running...

It may have seized but get a socket and a breaker bar and put it on the main crank pulley bolt. If it will turn the engine is not seized if it will not turn your engine is seized .

Your Engine is Fine.

Pull the plugs as described above. Make sure to refill with oul before running it much because most of it is in your cylinders.

I have been there and feel your pain.

Is this engine oil?

It's transmission fluid. I'm not totally sure where it came from though, but most likely through the level check stick.

Well it sounds like my engine should be alright. Now I just need to worry about the body work and windshield. :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom