Post pics of your FJ40 sunroof installations. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Interested in seeing pics of FJ40 et al sunroof installations. From what I've seen, sunroofs are fairly uncommon on FJ40's.

Funny you should mention a sunroof. I was thinking the same thing the past couple of weeks and was looking for the largest sunroof I could find but to no luck. When I saw a potential sunroof in person,I thought it may be a little too heavy for the fiberglass to support. I decided to install a sliding 40x42 ragtop. It's much lighter and will give me the more open air feeling I'm looking for without removing the top. I've never seen a 40 with such a top and when I eventually do it, I'll post some pics. It' will be a while, I have some bigger issues that popped up that I have to address. (tranny syncros):doh:

I have a cap that had a sunroof installed. I have also seen a couple of cruisers with sunroofs in the caps. They looked kind of crappy. The main problem seems to be the curvature of the cap. The flat sunroof just doesn't fit well.

I have filled several holes where sunroofs were. They all suck, leak, degrade, and end up just being an expensive hole in an otherwise good top. Personally, I wouldn't have one.

brian I would advise against the sunroof the fj40's tops curvature makes for a leak prone surface in the future because the fiberglass top flexes a little while you are going over bumpy roads every fj40 sunroof I have ever seen is an eye sore with leak repairs and with the Oregon rain your going to have a leak a few years down the road

just remove the top :idea:

dont do it!!!!

i have yet to see one that does not leak or have other problemsm

want a sunroof remove the top like it was meant to

the truck I bought actually had a sunroof installed. I didn't bring the top home due to the condition of it and partially b/c of the sunroof.

lunyou

one of my first cruisers had a sunroof. this is the only pic i have of this rig .
i kinda liked the sunroof. i only ran the hard top for 6 months or so before switching to the softtop ,i never noticed any leaks .
pretty sure my sunroof was slightly curved .
sun roof.jpg

I have a sunroof in my 75 FJ that was installed by a PO. It leaks and with such a large section of the fiberglass missing, it has slowly created a crack in the top due to lack of support. JUST SAY NO TO SUNROOF's. Or JSNTS for short. Buy a hoist for your hard top or buy a soft top!

PO installed sunroof..

DSC04106.JPG

I have attempted to replace the cracked (and leaking) perspex and tint it with crap results.. it still leaks and is hard to get a seal to form properly..

Sun Roofs on any car tend to be a pain. you'll have a year or two before the gaskets start cracking from exposure, and depending on humidity the gaskets could die completely within a year. Additionally, sun roofs have mechanical parts that will fail over time (cranks, actuators, hinges etc.) My sister had a '79 BMW 325i with a sunroof, and it constantly leaked, failed, or jammed up. Finally my dad and I just glued it shut with RTV silicone.
If you do go sunroof, expect problems. Not to mention the problems previous posters brought up, just take the top off as needed, or crack a window.

You don't need a sunroof...Where does it end?

Some people keep the top on alot...like our canadian brothen.

alot of people put on Saginaw and other things to make it a more enjoyable ride...the best thing about the cruisers is that you can build it the way you like it. :)

Some people keep the top on alot...like our canadian brothen.

alot of people put on Saginaw and other things to make it a more enjoyable ride...the best thing about the cruisers is that you can build it the way you like it. :)

I choose not to let the simple fact that you are correct sway my opinion in any way.

Ok going to jump on this too...... Quality brands like Holandia and Webasto, actually same company now. Have sunroofs for every curved roof avail including custom. The people that install the simple DEI or Sunshade flat sunroof will just cut and drop the panel in. Its really a "jiffy" install. The FJ40 roof is in between 3-4 on the holandia curve guide. Since no one is gonna install a T-V-S( tilt, vent, slide) on a 40 series your left with the "pop top". The simple triangle fastening design lets it move with body, though allowing flex. Adversely, this is the feature that can let lots of water in over time. Waterproofing is only good as the seals, so the el cheapo and the 1/8" strip isnt gonna do much at all. If you run an eight bolt fastening flange with a 1" - 1.5" RUBBER/SILICON surround you can pinch it off enough to move with a good amount of flex. Just tighten down till surround flats to half its dimension. This type of install would be the same for port hole and/or galley door/hatch installs on boats.

All this info aside, its easier to just get a good soft top once.

I have one and HATE it!!!!
I think I need to buy a whole new roof.

I choose not to let the simple fact that you are correct sway my opinion in any way.

I read that and thought first that you're funny. My second thought was that it sounds like a Liberal talking. Then I saw you were in LA. That pretty much confirmed it for me.

:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom